Thread: Chiefs LB Andy Studebaker On Fast Track To Starting Job

Thumbs up Chiefs LB Andy Studebaker On Fast Track To Starting Job

With the Chiefs trying to build a core for the future, they have been looking for young players to step up and make an impact throughout this season and that's exactly what they got in Week 11 when OLB Andy Studebaker, filling in for injured veteran Mike Vrabel, came through with a game-changing performance in a shocking win over the Steelers. Studebaker, a 2008 sixth-round pick of the Eagles out of Wheaton (Ill.) College, helped spring the upset by intercepting two Ben Roethlisberger passes — flipping the field with a 94-yard return on one of them — and recording five tackles and half a sack. From what we hear, the second-year player, who converted from defensive end to linebacker this offseason to fit in Kansas City's 3-4 scheme, could be the team's long-term answer at one OLB spot with the aging Vrabel about to be a free agent and unlikely to be back next season, Studebaker could lock up a starting job with a strong finish to ’09.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

If he can step up, it would become less position to fix at the draft

Yep- it would be great if Mr. Studebaker could continue to play at a high level, and become a marquis linebacker for us.

I like Studebaker.... how can you not. but i am not sure he is starting lb material.... yet. I hope i am wrong because the kid has a great story and all being the only player from Wheaton college to make it to the nfl.... but i would much rather have another Tamba on the other side...someone who instills fear in the opposing players.

Yeah I like Studebaker in the way I like McGraw. Not the most talented players in the world, but give it 110% at all times. I think we will still need to draft a super talented pass rusher next year. Our pass rush is nonexistent.