Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I had to euthanize a fish.

Unhappy I had to euthanize a fish.

I have a tank with three African Cichlids. One of which I acquire after the ice storm in January. Anyway, I cleaned the tank a few days ago, and I've notice that one of my fish had been swimming near the top sticking it's mouth out of the water. I knew something must've been wrong, but decided to wait it out. Last night, upon heading to bed, I noticed that said fish was floating along the bottom of the tank nearly on it's side. It was still alive, but it didn't appear that he would survive much longer. It's not good for the other fish to have a diseased or dead fish in the water. It looked like it's side was bleeding from where the other fish were picking at it (Africans are very aggressive). I decided to put it out of its misery, so I scooped it out of the tank and held it there until it stopped moving. This was one of my original fish that I've had for a few years. Standing there, I actually started to cry a little as I watched it suffocate. That's right. I cried over a dying fish....lol. I'm such a chick!
    Everything happens for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Or it lives and comes out into the world with huge claws and teeth and, and, and. Better to step on it and save us all from revenge of the mutant pet fish.
    The next time I went to the bathroom, I looked in the toilet to make sure he hadn't come back up...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    The next time I went to the bathroom, I looked in the toilet to make sure he hadn't come back up...lol.
    Mutant pet fish are scared of the light...they only come up when someone is sitting on the pot....:skull:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Mutant pet fish are scared of the light...they only come up when someone is sitting on the pot....:skull:
    Is that hat that tickling feeling was?

You might want to take the water in your tank to the local pet store and see if the water is balanced. I have 12 African Cics and I have to check my water all the time. that one fish might be a sign of your tank crashing.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Oh man; this just goes way beyond comment.

I'm not going to do it. It's too easy and I refuse.

LUV, C'MON NOW!!!!! You walked into this!
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    You might want to take the water in your tank to the local pet store and see if the water is balanced. I have 12 African Cics and I have to check my water all the time. that one fish might be a sign of your tank crashing.
    I had just siphoned the rocks and cleaned it. I didn't take my fish out. I never have, actually, but they've always done just fine when I did that. Of course, I have had a problem with Plecos dying on me.

I had just siphoned the rocks and cleaned it. I didn't take my fish out. I never have, actually, but they've always done just fine when I did that. Of course, I have had a problem with Plecos dying on me.
    Well, maybe if you quit taking them out of the water and hanging them there to die, they might live longer.

Those tend to die. I would get your water tested. You just did a water change and there might be too much pH in your water. It's best to do it now before they all die. Also don't put any kind of algae eater in with Cics. They are like Chiefs and Faders, natural enemies. The Algea eaters will always die or get eaten.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast