Thread: The 4-12 season that was.

Default The 4-12 season that was.

This season while being disapointing in the fact that the Chiefs went 4-12 was a step in the right direction in many ways for this football team. If nothing eles they won twice as many games as they did a season ago. They ended the right year going the right direction. A year ago they ended the season by being noncompetive against the bengals. This year they ended beating a team that had a shot at being a playoff team at there home field a field that the Chiefs rarely are able to walk out of with a W. This team is starting to show that there is some life there. Hopefuly that continues into next year and the Chiefs are able to take an even bigger step forward.

Offense. The Offense showed signs at times they can be just as explosive as any team in the NFL. There problem was they were not able to be consitant and thats there biggest issue. They shot thereselfs in the foot time after time either with penalties or by the thing that became all to ofter at the end of the season dropped passes. The Running game was lite by the emergance of Jamal Charles. Charles showed that he can be an everydown back in the NFL. He had a half season that was better then many starting RBS have had in a whole season. He was defently the bright spot and the one that the Chiefs can build an offense around. They at the very least have a building block now. There offense will probley have alot of new faces going into next season. The reciver postion and O line are the most likely to have change Chambers and Bowe are the only ones that I think have a real good chance to be back. The Offense has the abilty now they just have to put it all together to be a good team.

Defense. The Defense looked alot this year as it did last year. And that is not a good thing. The Defense HAS to get a pass rusher this offseason. Tamba Hali was the bright spot of the Defense this season. He had his best year. He was the One defender that was able to put pressure on the QBS in a consentant matter. He is someone that can help the Chiefs build to a good team. The secoundary was one of the points of concern. They were not helped by the fact that most QBS had all day to throw the football against them . But there is defently room for improvement there. All in all there is not a single part of the defense that does not need help. This team will not be good again untill they are able to get a shut down defense. Thats is the thing that wins championships and its something the Chiefs are no closer to then a year ago. Change is need in this department. If that change is a new DC then thats what they have to do.

Specal team. This was probley the most consitant part of this football team this year. Ryan Succop showed that he can be a good kicker hopefuly for a long time in KC. The Chiefs outside of 2 returns by Josh Cribbs were pretty good at kick and punt coverage and thats something they will have to continue. This is probley the part of the Chiefs that needs the least amount of work. Its the strenght of this team.

Coaching. Todd Haley will probley sit down this offseason and see the wide amount of mistakes that he made in his first year as
    a head coach in the NFL. While I dont think he made as many mistakes as some I think that there is defently room for improvement in the coaching department. Haley made many mistakes to expect that he wouldnt is being unreasonable. The thing that is going to decide if he ends up being a good NFL head coach is what he learns from these mistakes and how fast he is at cutting them out. Every coach goes throught part of the offseason trying to fix there mistakes hopefuly haley can do that. I remain high on Todd Haley he came in got this team in shape and is trying to get this to be a disaplined football team. To me one thing that sticks out is this. One of the easiest signs of a bad head coach is tons of penalties. Thats not something that bit the Chiefs for the most part. They were close to the top half of the league. It is far to early to give up on him. But next year he MUST show BIG signs of improvement to get anther pass from this chiefs fan.
    The season is in the books overall I cant say i am completly disappointed in it. It was much better then a season ago. Thats a plus. Hopefuly next season is far more easy to watch and leads to nothing but good things. All in all for the first time in a long time I can say i like what the chiefs are doing. Lets just hope they prove that on the field next season.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!

Great long post. I also think the chiefs are heading in the right direction (especially with JC and Succop) and I can't wait till next season to see how everything works out!

Long post but I agree with what little I read

Haley was able to keep this team from quitting. I didn't see anyone on this team quit during games and they have ben out of the playoff picture for about 12 weeks now. I think that is high praise for the Coach of a 4-12 team. Better things to come for Haley.

We were only about 1 or 2 games off of what I thought we would win this year. Jamaal Charles was a bright spot, and one thing I really liked was this team's ability to fight back and run a 2-minute drill late in the game.

Overall, an improvement from 2008. Can't wait for 2010, and what it brings in the offseason, and next season.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    We were only about 1 or 2 games off of what I thought we would win this year. Jamaal Charles was a bright spot, and one thing I really liked was this team's ability to fight back and run a 2-minute drill late in the game.

Overall, an improvement from 2008. Can't wait for 2010, and what it brings in the offseason, and next season.

jb
    Niether can I!

Nice read matthewschiefs!!!