Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do we really need to draft a LT?

Default Do we really need to draft a LT?

I started thinking (scary, right?). Our offensive line was actually very good during the final 6 games of the season, giving up only 8 sacks (compared to 37 through the first 10 games) and opening things up enough for Charles to rush for about 1000 yards over the final half of the season. Our offensive line coach was just fired yesterday as well, so there will be someone new coaching them up next season.

Maybe offensive line isn't as big of a need as we thought it was. Certainly at some point we should draft a potential replacement for the aging Waters and probably a better center, but maybe Albert is the right LT for us given the production at the end of the year.

I've been as much of an advocate for drafting a LT like Russell Okung with our 1st round pick as anyone, but now I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to go with the best defensive player available.

That could be the safety Berry who may or may not be there, or guys we haven't really talked about as much like CB Joe Haden or ILB Rolando McClain. Haden is going to be a shutdown corner in the league and the thought of a Flowers/Haden combo with Carr playing the nickel would be one of the best CB trios in the league. McClain could be an elite tackling machine and defensive leader who also has the ability to blitz and get to the QB, which is something we need. I don't think ILB is much of a need as other positions if we keep DJ around though. I'll still be interested in seeing how he does in the BCS Championship.

I think right now Berry is the optimal choice. He's an elite talent, definitely one of the 2 or 3 best players in the draft and he would be replacing Mike Brown, once a great a player but injuries and age have slowed him down to where he can't take the aggressive angles and make the plays that he used to. Hopefully he's available when we pick, meaning the Rams and/or Redskins draft QBs, and the Lions/Bucs both go DT or OT.

How are you guys feeling about our first pick right now?
    Last edited by yashi; 01-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think the OL gave up less sacks late in the season, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were winning the battles upfront.

I think the Chiefs need to spend a bare minumum of 1 of their first 2 picks on the OL. We need some depth on the OL. If we had lost Albert or Waters towards the end of the season, things would have been worse. The Chiefs will lose OL throughout the course of the season and need to draft some depth. Especially considering Waters is probably very near the end of his career and didn't play all that well for most of this year.
    Well said coach.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

OL. We've drafted D lineman after D Lineman going back to Vermile. And most have been a bust, except the guy we stupidly sent to Minn. So Draft the best OL we can get, worry about DL through FA, Trade, or later rounds. Get that solid! Then start on WR or LB's. Gawd we have a lot of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    OL. We've drafted D lineman after D Lineman going back to Vermile. And most have been a bust, except the guy we stupidly sent to Minn. So Draft the best OL we can get, worry about DL through FA, Trade, or later rounds. Get that solid! Then start on WR or LB's. Gawd we have a lot of holes.
    Very ture. I think unless a mirical happens and Suh is somehow there when we pick then it might be best to trade down if possible. There are so many spots we need help on anther pick or to would be helpful.

In my opinion the offense Line needs the most attention. Yes, they got better as the season went along, but I strongly believe that is 90% because of LJ getting cut and Charles taking his place.

J. Charles made the offensive line better by smaller holes faster that collasped by the time LJ got to them. He also made more out of busted plays than LJ.

Since Charleas was more productive in the running game. The Chiefs were rarely in 3-15 situation that killed them the entire first half of the season. This kepts us out of predictable passing situations.

The addition of Chambers also opened a viable passing threat that was missing the first half of the season which decreased the amount of time Cassel was holding the ball.

I do think the offensive line improved as the personel improved as well as play calling, but there are still not play off quality.

Disagree with this if you like but I would start with Brian Waters.. I can't tell you how many times I saw him on instant replay looking back at his guy making a play.

Offensive line is still a major priority for this team.

Look at the teams we played the last 6 games of the season, offensive line is where we do need the most attention.

With our first pick there are only 3 players that I believe we should be targeting and I put them in this order 1. Berry 2. Okung 3. Suh. If one of these guys aren't available than we should trade down in my opinion.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234