Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to draft a LT?

Default Do we really need to draft a LT?

I started thinking (scary, right?). Our offensive line was actually very good during the final 6 games of the season, giving up only 8 sacks (compared to 37 through the first 10 games) and opening things up enough for Charles to rush for about 1000 yards over the final half of the season. Our offensive line coach was just fired yesterday as well, so there will be someone new coaching them up next season.

Maybe offensive line isn't as big of a need as we thought it was. Certainly at some point we should draft a potential replacement for the aging Waters and probably a better center, but maybe Albert is the right LT for us given the production at the end of the year.

I've been as much of an advocate for drafting a LT like Russell Okung with our 1st round pick as anyone, but now I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to go with the best defensive player available.

That could be the safety Berry who may or may not be there, or guys we haven't really talked about as much like CB Joe Haden or ILB Rolando McClain. Haden is going to be a shutdown corner in the league and the thought of a Flowers/Haden combo with Carr playing the nickel would be one of the best CB trios in the league. McClain could be an elite tackling machine and defensive leader who also has the ability to blitz and get to the QB, which is something we need. I don't think ILB is much of a need as other positions if we keep DJ around though. I'll still be interested in seeing how he does in the BCS Championship.

I think right now Berry is the optimal choice. He's an elite talent, definitely one of the 2 or 3 best players in the draft and he would be replacing Mike Brown, once a great a player but injuries and age have slowed him down to where he can't take the aggressive angles and make the plays that he used to. Hopefully he's available when we pick, meaning the Rams and/or Redskins draft QBs, and the Lions/Bucs both go DT or OT.

How are you guys feeling about our first pick right now?
    Last edited by yashi; 01-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.

I'm feeling the exact same way as you. At #5 Berry should definitely be the first target. I think we should be able to find decent talent for the line in the 2nd round with one of our 2 picks.

Right on about the OL and I can see Haden also.
    Check this guy out for a SS. Harry Coleman LSU
    6'2" 206 lbs with 4.4 speed. Started at safety his junior year and lead the team in tackles with 71. Moved to OLB his SR year, finished 9 TFL and ished 3rd on team with 77 tackles. Had 9 TFL and 4 sacks. If he can play OLB in the SEC and be productive, he's one tough SOB. Good in coverage also. Probably available in the 3rd round.

I think most people have either Berry or Suh as the top rated players coming out.
    Berry would be an awesome pick, the question is just whether he will be there or not.
    Our run blocking has improved but pass blocking seems to still need some improvement.
    Haden, Flowers, and Carr has a nice ring I will agree there. 5 may be a little high for him
    Javier Arenas projected Rd.3- that kid can play, he might be a great fit there

If you take Okung at LT where do you put albert? We have a Pro-Bowl calibur LG already.
    I hope we get Berry

I agree the O line is not the biggest need on this team right now. They were decent at the end of the season. The D was what was hurting us so its best if we grab the best defensive player thats out there. O line usely can still be picked up in the later rounds.

If we draft a left tackle, move Albert to right guard. Or just make the new guy switch sides.

I still say we need draft a Center. Snapping the ball isn't even the problem. Niswanger can't block.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    If we draft a left tackle, move Albert to right guard. Or just make the new guy switch sides.

I still say we need draft a Center. Snapping the ball isn't even the problem. Niswanger can't block.
    I watched Von Miller, Texas A&M beat Okung like a ******* step child. Okung didn't look good in the bowl game either.
    The one game Wade Smith started in place of Niswanger, I thought he played a better game than Niswwanger has all year. I realize JC is the major reason the OL got better, but wasn't Wade th given the RG position about the same time? Either FA or draft we need a OC or OG depending on what they decide to do with Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I watched Von Miller, Texas A&M beat Okung like a ******* step child. Okung didn't look good in the bowl game either.
    The one game Wade Smith started in place of Niswanger, I thought he played a better game than Niswwanger has all year. I realize JC is the major reason the OL got better, but wasn't Wade th given the RG position about the same time? Either FA or draft we need a OC or OG depending on what they decide to do with Smith.
    I was going to say Wade seemed to do a really good job at RG, and that position got a lot better in general once Goff went on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I started thinking (scary, right?). Our offensive line was actually very good during the final 6 games of the season, giving up only 8 sacks (compared to 37 through the first 10 games) and opening things up enough for Charles to rush for about 1000 yards over the final half of the season. Our offensive line coach was just fired yesterday as well, so there will be someone new coaching them up next season.

Maybe offensive line isn't as big of a need as we thought it was. Certainly at some point we should draft a potential replacement for the aging Waters and probably a better center, but maybe Albert is the right LT for us given the production at the end of the year.

I've been as much of an advocate for drafting a LT like Russell Okung with our 1st round pick as anyone, but now I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to go with the best defensive player available.

That could be the safety Berry who may or may not be there, or guys we haven't really talked about as much like CB Joe Haden or ILB Rolando McClain. Haden is going to be a shutdown corner in the league and the thought of a Flowers/Haden combo with Carr playing the nickel would be one of the best CB trios in the league. McClain could be an elite tackling machine and defensive leader who also has the ability to blitz and get to the QB, which is something we need. I don't think ILB is much of a need as other positions if we keep DJ around though. I'll still be interested in seeing how he does in the BCS Championship.

I think right now Berry is the optimal choice. He's an elite talent, definitely one of the 2 or 3 best players in the draft and he would be replacing Mike Brown, once a great a player but injuries and age have slowed him down to where he can't take the aggressive angles and make the plays that he used to. Hopefully he's available when we pick, meaning the Rams and/or Redskins draft QBs, and the Lions/Bucs both go DT or OT.

How are you guys feeling about our first pick right now?
    I think it would be wise to pick up a backup OL in case Waters leaves in a couple years, but Im with you and I pretty much made the same thread Is our defensive line worse then our Offensive Line? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I don't think Wade is that good. We need a franchise center so to speak. Look here. Colts have Saturday Patriots - Dan Koppen. Viks - John Sulivan

QB-Center relationships are important. Plus you need your center to be able to read the D just as well as the QB. When you see the Center point out, he is alerting the QB of something, so he can check down.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast