Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to draft a LT?

Default Do we really need to draft a LT?

I started thinking (scary, right?). Our offensive line was actually very good during the final 6 games of the season, giving up only 8 sacks (compared to 37 through the first 10 games) and opening things up enough for Charles to rush for about 1000 yards over the final half of the season. Our offensive line coach was just fired yesterday as well, so there will be someone new coaching them up next season.

Maybe offensive line isn't as big of a need as we thought it was. Certainly at some point we should draft a potential replacement for the aging Waters and probably a better center, but maybe Albert is the right LT for us given the production at the end of the year.

I've been as much of an advocate for drafting a LT like Russell Okung with our 1st round pick as anyone, but now I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to go with the best defensive player available.

That could be the safety Berry who may or may not be there, or guys we haven't really talked about as much like CB Joe Haden or ILB Rolando McClain. Haden is going to be a shutdown corner in the league and the thought of a Flowers/Haden combo with Carr playing the nickel would be one of the best CB trios in the league. McClain could be an elite tackling machine and defensive leader who also has the ability to blitz and get to the QB, which is something we need. I don't think ILB is much of a need as other positions if we keep DJ around though. I'll still be interested in seeing how he does in the BCS Championship.

I think right now Berry is the optimal choice. He's an elite talent, definitely one of the 2 or 3 best players in the draft and he would be replacing Mike Brown, once a great a player but injuries and age have slowed him down to where he can't take the aggressive angles and make the plays that he used to. Hopefully he's available when we pick, meaning the Rams and/or Redskins draft QBs, and the Lions/Bucs both go DT or OT.

How are you guys feeling about our first pick right now?
    Last edited by yashi; 01-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.

I agree with some of the sentiments in this thread.

I think everyone noticed an improvement in the OL as the season came to a close, in fact, I am about this close || to jumping on the lets draft eric berry bandwagon. Dude is a beast!

I think with the buzz being generated in KC from stuff like JC, Weiss, Crennel (hopefully :x) and Pioli will attract more free agents than going back to when Vermeil was here, making it more likely we can do something with the OL in FA, and that way we can fill a need at safety with the best player in the draft.

I think just about any player from Texas is worth getting.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Don't worry about Russell Okung, he might not be the first Tackle taken. Anthony Davis from Rutgers and Bruce Campbell from Maryland seem to be pretty high on people's list as well.

I think Albert deserves another year at LT because [remember] he was converted from College Guard to NFL Tackle.

As much as I love Berry I don't really like his size...and that's why I think McClain should be the pick. He's smart, big, fast and extremely physical... @ 6'4" 260 I can see this guy stuffing the run like a young Urlacher.

1 of our 2nds must be on a RT/G/C and the other one must go to a speedy, sure handed, multi-purpose WR or a S.
    *crossing my fingers for Golden Tate to fall to us at the top of the 2nd round :-) or Brown from Central Mich later in the draft.

Our OL may have improved later in the season but they're still not that good and we need a LT so we can move Albert to guard. We have too much money invested in Cassel to have anything but the best blocking for him. Weis is going to want to throw a lot so it's important that we get better pass blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Chiefs View Post
    Our OL may have improved later in the season but they're still not that good and we need a LT so we can move Albert to guard. We have too much money invested in Cassel to have anything but the best blocking for him. Weis is going to want to throw a lot so it's important that we get better pass blockers.
    I am not sure that Weis will throw it much more then what we saw this year. Weis has never had a RB with the abilty of Jamal Charles. Even when he was with the pats. I am sure they will use Charles as much as they can and thats a good thing. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I am not sure that Weis will throw it much more then what we saw this year. Weis has never had a RB with the abilty of Jamal Charles. Even when he was with the pats. I am sure they will use Charles as much as they can and thats a good thing. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!
    Charlie is no fool, I am sure he knows he can't run Charles to death like he did to Corey Dillon in 2004 because Charles isn't built like that. Though I am sure Charles will be used in a lot of ways a la Kevin Faulk. Weis will have Charles lining up all over the place.

I think the OL gave up less sacks late in the season, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were winning the battles upfront.

I think the Chiefs need to spend a bare minumum of 1 of their first 2 picks on the OL. We need some depth on the OL. If we had lost Albert or Waters towards the end of the season, things would have been worse. The Chiefs will lose OL throughout the course of the season and need to draft some depth. Especially considering Waters is probably very near the end of his career and didn't play all that well for most of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    very true. I'm not sold on this O-line improving that much as it probably has more to do with J. Charles being straight up a fast, elusive back. Once you establish a running game the passing game naturally opens up. The defense all of a sudden is not loading 8 in the box on you and coming with their ears pinned back. Someone posted that at least one of our 2nd round picks be a G,C, RT and I could not agree more. We have a chance to improve the trench on the O-side of the ball, do it!

We need to draft at least a RG or RT. I would like to draft a C as well. I have no clue about anyone in the draft so I can't comment on anyone cause I don't watch school sports. Its too late to move Albert. I pushed for him to got to RG at the beginning of the season asap but it's just too late and it will set things back. He's doing better over there so no need for an LT.
    It starts with the Offensive line

the O line has improved, we desperately need a NT and maybe better DE's. if we can trade down, assuming there are some takers, we can still get line help on both sides.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast