Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Defense must be 1st priority

Default Defense must be 1st priority

Our total team defense finished the 2009 season ranked 30th out 32 teams. This is just unacceptable and has to be fixed if we are to go anywhere next year. I understand that we need help on offense also, and hiring Weiss will help immeasurably. But fixing this D has to be numero uno. What I think we need in order of importance (imho!)

1. Defensive Coordinator. Hopefully whoever we can land (Romeo?) will bring in a dl coach that knows what he's doing.
    2. Nose Tackle. First and foremost, we need an anchor for this 3-4.
    3. Safety. Both of them.
    4. Corner. Not impressed with Carr this season.
    5. ILB. Got to find a way to seal off the middle.

I know this is asking a lot in one off-season, and I don't expect to see it. But gotta start somewhere.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    I hope not we need a pass rushing lb pretty bad.

and we can pick up von miller in the second round. Also, id like to see studebaker get a real look.

Nope, we need O-line help.

McClain in the first, Von Miller and Pouncey OC in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by wichitaj View Post
    Nope, we need O-line help.
    Nice come back way to elaborate..oh im sorry did I use too big of a word for you?

Our safety position screwed us all season with the middle of the field getting torched pre-season and through out. Our offense turned the corned mid way through the season. I say draft Berry since he should be there at 5 Okung might also be there.
    ] I believe Haley knows we need help in both areas and depending on free agent aquisitions will determine wich one we take at the 5 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    Nice come back way to elaborate..oh im sorry did I use too big of a word for you?

Our safety position screwed us all season with the middle of the field getting torched pre-season and through out. Our offense turned the corned mid way through the season. I say draft Berry since he should be there at 5 Okung might also be there.
    ] I believe Haley knows we need help in both areas and depending on free agent aquisitions will determine wich one we take at the 5 spot.
    Agreed. Berry is a game changer and we need a safety. Bad. Get 'em.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post

Also let me say that historically its easier to plug a defensive rookie in and be successfull then it is a offensive lineman. A lineman wil take time to mature, a safety like Berry can for the most part run wild.

i really dont wont McClain... i mean, hes a good player and all. but i KNOW Pioli can find a pass rushing LB in the draft rounds 3-5.... look at Elvis Dumervil over there in Denver... he is a pass rushing monster 3-4 OLB, and he was like a 4th rounder... it CAN be done. LB's are Pioli's specialty, no sense in wasting a 1st rounder on a LB when we can get SS or OT at the same pick.

BER-RY!!

he would make our defense better single handedly.

and im sorry but i dont think Page or Brown are even average... they are solid backups.

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    i really dont wont McClain... i mean, hes a good player and all. but i KNOW Pioli can find a pass rushing LB in the draft rounds 3-5.... look at Elvis Dumervil over there in Denver... he is a pass rushing monster 3-4 OLB, and he was like a 4th rounder... it CAN be done. LB's are Pioli's specialty, no sense in wasting a 1st rounder on a LB when we can get SS or OT at the same pick.

BER-RY!!

he would make our defense better single handedly.

and im sorry but i dont think Page or Brown are even average... they are solid backups.
    McClain is an ILB, you know, someone to improve our great run defense.

This may be a little long but I think it will give you some food for thought.

The O line, yes it needs a little help. Yes I said a little. Their performance in the second half of the season was good but not great. We are going to need some young talent to help upgrade and be ready to take over for Mike Goff or Brian Waters. Need to be ready before we wind up in another Willie Roaf situation.

Defense in general was hurting this year. We did see it start to get better toward the end of the season. If you didn’t know that this was going to be a tough defensive year, you should have.

Changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 is much more than just removing a tackle and adding a linebacker. It is different schemes, obligations, duties, and physical needs. It is the most effective type of defense in the league at this time, and I'm glad to see the Chiefs moving forward.

The Chiefs staff has already taken the first step to correcting part of the defensive woes, by letting the defensive line coach go. One sac from our front 3 all year, unacceptable.

Never in my life have I seen so many defensive linemen dancing with blockers. Coach Haley will get someone in here to teach them some technique to get off of blocks so they can tackle RB’s and sac QB's.

We have good talent on the line. It just needs developed. Would it be nice to add Suh, sure, but he will be gone in the first two picks. So set your heart somewhere else.

I know allot of you are worried about DJ. Listening to Coach Haleys press conference, 1/6/10, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Derrick has admitted himself that there have been disagreements about things. When we go to work we do what the boss says or we get fired.

Players probably have more leniency with this than anyone. We have switched to a 3-4 defense; this means the OLB position is played differently. He may want to play inside out and Coach Haley wants him playing outside in.

None of us really like change, but its part of life. I have a feeling that they have this worked out now. Every player likes to play every down.

Truth is Derrick Johnson is not a GREAT run stopper. He is a better cover LB. This system fits him and if he accepts it, he will excel.

As far as starts, that’s just the guy that takes the first snap. Most teams play the run on first down. He should maybe even be thankful, he was fresher in the 3rd and 4th quarter in Denver because he had not played every down. That may have been the difference of whether he gets both picks and weather he runs the first one back.

He’s a good ball player that could be great. If you recorded the game, go back and watch the 4th quarter and count how many tackles he missed.

We have a good young line backing core. With (Rookies) Walters and Belcher, (2nd year) Studebaker (3rd year) Rogers (4th year) Mays and Hali, (5th year) Johnson (6th year) Williams we are in pretty good shape. Give these guys another year and we could have one of the best in the league.

We also have a good young set of Ends. 2 years experience coming into this season. 6 years experience going into next season. Time and Patients fans.

The secondary is probably the weakest link on the chiefs team. This not only affects the passing game but the running game as well.

I can’t say I am a fan of Mike Brown, but he got dealt some pretty tough duty this year. When we were getting gouged with the run they would bring him up for support and then he would get burnt deep. When we were getting torched deep they pulled him back and they would gouge us in the middle between the linebackers and the safeties.

Do we need a new safety, yes, I think we do. Would like to see us get Eric Berry, (Ed Reed type) safety. Though I am not sure he will be around by the 5th pick.

This is one of the few areas that I would like to see us pick up a FA just in case we don't get Eric Berry in the draft. Lets not forget that we will have Jared Page back next year, and Dwan Morgan showed promise. We haven't seen enough of Ricky Price to know if he is starting caliber. Jon McGraw is a special player with brains and heart. I'm just not sure that he has the speed to be a starting safety. He is probably a better dime back.

With all this young talent at safety you may be wondering why spend and early pick on a safety. Easy 3 names, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Darren Sharper.

At cornerback, we are not in bad shape. Brandon flowers could make the pro bowl next year.

Brandon Carr did not have that bad of a year. Lets remember that this was only his second year in the NFL.

Especially when you consider how little safety help that he had. We all have on our minds how bad the donkeys picked on him, but most of the time he was in position to defend the play. He wasn't turning and locating the ball. That can be taught, staying stride for stride with a WR can't.

We also have some good young backups that will struggle a little but will earn their stripes playing nickel and should be ready if one of the Brandon’s goes down.
    Last edited by chief31; 01-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.

So I heard the reason Romeo hasnt been hired is because hes on a vacation until Monday and he hasnt really decided if hes coming back to coaching or not. Was Schefter wrong?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234