Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defense must be 1st priority

Default Defense must be 1st priority

Our total team defense finished the 2009 season ranked 30th out 32 teams. This is just unacceptable and has to be fixed if we are to go anywhere next year. I understand that we need help on offense also, and hiring Weiss will help immeasurably. But fixing this D has to be numero uno. What I think we need in order of importance (imho!)

1. Defensive Coordinator. Hopefully whoever we can land (Romeo?) will bring in a dl coach that knows what he's doing.
    2. Nose Tackle. First and foremost, we need an anchor for this 3-4.
    3. Safety. Both of them.
    4. Corner. Not impressed with Carr this season.
    5. ILB. Got to find a way to seal off the middle.

I know this is asking a lot in one off-season, and I don't expect to see it. But gotta start somewhere.
    SHUT IT

Good post! I would love to see a different DC.
    NT has to be a #1 priority. Hopefully it can be addressed in FA.
    I like taking McClain in the first and Von Miller in the 2nd. A good NT and McClain would greatly improve the run defense and Miller playing opposite Hali would be a huge improvement for the pass rush.
    If the safties don't have to play in the box in run support as much, their play would improve. And if the opposing QB doesn't have 6 seconds to get rid of the ball, the CB's play improves.
    I'm not saying that you don't look to improve in those areas, just that might not be as high a priority as we think.
    OC is very high on my priority list also.
    Last edited by pbatrucker; 01-07-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: wasn't ready to post

Don't forget OLB. We really had no pass rush outside of Hali and Gilberry.

I agree..
    We need OLB aswell.. I like Vrabel and he is a good veteran player..
    But..! He is slow, I especially noticed it in this last game.
    Compared to Hali it looks like he is walking not running. :)

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Don't forget OLB. We really had no pass rush outside of Hali and Gilberry.
    Quit adding to the list! Too many already! But yeah need help there, too. With 2 offensive coaches in place with Haley and Weiss, I hope that this D isn't neglected. I'm sure Pioli will do whats right...
    SHUT IT

The problem is that we have gone to the draft well for defense for the last three years now and what do we have to show for it?

I think it is time to address some of the needs on defense through free agency, it sucks we lost Allen and I understand the need and desire to have a player like that next year, we are going to have to go get him some other way, maybe through trades or free agency.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Addressing the offensive line helps the defense, by both keeping them off the field and also getting opposing offenses to play from behind. those make huge differences.

At the fifth pick, there really isn't a defender (who will be available) that seems worth the pick. We should be able to find a nose tackle in free agency, especially with Hampton and Wilfork being potential free agents/trade bait.

I won't pretend to understand how the CBA will affect free agency, but I know there are several good linebackers scheduled to become free agents.

D'Qwell Jackson, elvis dumervil, kirk morrison, thomas davis, , lofa tatupu, james harrison, demarcus ware, demeco ryans, akeem jordan, thomas howard.

Maybe some of these guys have already signed extensions, but they were scheduled to be UFA's at the start of the season.

1 defense
    1a O line
    2 reciver

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    The problem is that we have gone to the draft well for defense for the last three years now and what do we have to show for it?

I think it is time to address some of the needs on defense through free agency, it sucks we lost Allen and I understand the need and desire to have a player like that next year, we are going to have to go get him some other way, maybe through trades or free agency.
    F/A might be the way to go because we would be bringing in experience and these players would have an immediate impact rather than waiting for them to develop. I think a mixture of draft and FA is the best though. Just because we have failed in the past few years in drafting defense doesn't mean that we will fail this draft. New management and scouting personnel should improve things. After all, thats a big reason Pioli is here - his ability to evaluate talent.
    SHUT IT

Can we maybe just trade our whole defense and draft picks this year for Green Bay's 3-4 D?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast