Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden Tate possible draft pick at 35?

Default Golden Tate possible draft pick at 35?

With Chalie Weiss on board what do you think about KC drafting Golden Tate WR Notre Dame? Here is his highlight reel. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iIdPV4eibg"]YouTube- Golden Tate - 2008 Highlight Package[/ame]

We do need a slot receiver, but we need a #1 or #2 receiver. If we can get a #1, then fine and move Bowe to #2. But this is the draft to get a #2 guy.

I can't believe someone is on here promoting a wide receiver's being tiny as an asset.

Shipley would be great in the third or fourth, but if Tate is there in the second you just take him. If he were one or two inches taller, he'd be the first WR off the board in the top ten.

Add to it that he's been playing in our offensive system since he was 18 years old, provides a deep threat, has GREAT hands, and is super tough after the catch, I just don't see the problem.

Now, we do have other needs. does everyone agree that we are going offensive tackle with our first pick? Good. Because we can't have three top-5 draft picks on our defensive line.

Hopefully we can trade down to around the tenth pick and get Okung, Williams, or McClain/Spikes at a more reasonable cost.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor Mays fall to the second round, like Maualuga and Laureniatis did. I'd snatch him there in a second. Why? He's tall. If we're going to challenge San Diego, we need somebody who can go up HIGH to take balls away from Gates and Jackson.

mays isn't berry, but in the second round, he's way better value.

Good Points SAPHOJUNKIE...

The little guy from K-STATE is quick but there's no way his frame is going to hold up in the NFL... and NOOOO.. he's not Darren Sproles.

Golden Tate is probably a 1st round draft choice because GM's will be looking for the next DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin...

I also agree that Danario Alexander or Jordan Shipley would be a solid pick if they were available later...but after Shipley's performance I'm sure he'll be gone by the middle of the 2nd... (Jordy Nelson??)

Another WR to keep an eye on is Damian Williams from USC. He doesn't have blazing speed but scouts say he's the best route runner they've seen in a long time... that's impressive! Guys like Steve Smith (NYG) and Anthony Gonzalez didn't have blazing speed but their route running has helped them tremendously in the NFL.

The 2nd round is going to be critical for the chiefs... and there will be plenty of talent available when we pick....2 Defensive guys that can slip:

Taylor Mays - He's big, physical and fast but scouts question his coverage skills... w/ the announcement that Earl Thomas is entering the Draft, Mays might have to fight to be the 2nd Safety taken

---if one of the top 3 safeties don't slip then we can keep an eye on Major Wright of Florida or Reshad Jones of UGA or even Stuckey from KU in the 3rd - later rounds.

Jordan Spikes - Might slip just like Rey and James Laurinaitis into the second round. He has good size but lacks some speed and athleticism. Also teams will have to question his suspension.

Once again it all depends on what we do w/ our 1st pick..

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    We do need a slot receiver, but we need a #1 or #2 receiver. If we can get a #1, then fine and move Bowe to #2. But this is the draft to get a #2 guy.

I can't believe someone is on here promoting a wide receiver's being tiny as an asset.

Shipley would be great in the third or fourth, but if Tate is there in the second you just take him. If he were one or two inches taller, he'd be the first WR off the board in the top ten.

Add to it that he's been playing in our offensive system since he was 18 years old, provides a deep threat, has GREAT hands, and is super tough after the catch, I just don't see the problem.

Now, we do have other needs. does everyone agree that we are going offensive tackle with our first pick? Good. Because we can't have three top-5 draft picks on our defensive line.

Hopefully we can trade down to around the tenth pick and get Okung, Williams, or McClain/Spikes at a more reasonable cost.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor Mays fall to the second round, like Maualuga and Laureniatis did. I'd snatch him there in a second. Why? He's tall. If we're going to challenge San Diego, we need somebody who can go up HIGH to take balls away from Gates and Jackson.

mays isn't berry, but in the second round, he's way better value.
    Being small as a typical WR is a disadvantage, nobody suggested that it was an advantage. Being on the smaller side makes it harder for defenders to find him in traffic and being smaller makes him harder to get a hold of and bring down when combined with his quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    Good Points SAPHOJUNKIE...

The little guy from K-STATE is quick but there's no way his frame is going to hold up in the NFL... and NOOOO.. he's not Darren Sproles.

Golden Tate is probably a 1st round draft choice because GM's will be looking for the next DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin...

I also agree that Danario Alexander or Jordan Shipley would be a solid pick if they were available later...but after Shipley's performance I'm sure he'll be gone by the middle of the 2nd... (Jordy Nelson??)

Another WR to keep an eye on is Damian Williams from USC. He doesn't have blazing speed but scouts say he's the best route runner they've seen in a long time... that's impressive! Guys like Steve Smith (NYG) and Anthony Gonzalez didn't have blazing speed but their route running has helped them tremendously in the NFL.

The 2nd round is going to be critical for the chiefs... and there will be plenty of talent available when we pick....2 Defensive guys that can slip:

Taylor Mays - He's big, physical and fast but scouts question his coverage skills... w/ the announcement that Earl Thomas is entering the Draft, Mays might have to fight to be the 2nd Safety taken

---if one of the top 3 safeties don't slip then we can keep an eye on Major Wright of Florida or Reshad Jones of UGA or even Stuckey from KU in the 3rd - later rounds.

Jordan Spikes - Might slip just like Rey and James Laurinaitis into the second round. He has good size but lacks some speed and athleticism. Also teams will have to question his suspension.

Once again it all depends on what we do w/ our 1st pick..
    You're right, Banks isn't Darren Sproles. He's a better returner than Sproles was in college. Sproles was a great returner his junior year with a forgettable senior season. Oh, and Sproles wasn't supposed to hold up in the NFL either, and Dante Hall had too small of a frame to be successful in the NFL.

Gimme a break.

There's a reason that Banks is projected as a 6th to 7th round pick. You don't draft guys that late to be surefire starters and impact players. Banks has huge risk just as any player of that type does, but with a late pick, it isn't exactly a huge risk. I'd rather have a guy with upside anyway rather than a guy with all the measurables and no football savvy when drafting int he later rounds.

Thanks Aussie!

I thought this was discussed in another draft thread??? Tate will be Az-Zahir Hakim in the league...Deep threat and nothing else....True he makes plays but he's not built for the league and will get bodied at the next level against physical DBs. There are at least 6-8 WRs I'd take before him.

All I can say is that I LOVE draft time. The last couple of years, it has been my favorite part of the season. I'd love to have a guy like Tate on our team. He's someone that could stretch the field, and we need that badly.

At the same time, we also someone to help us defend the pass and we need someone to protect the QB.

I am already excited for this draft. I'm glad we have that extra 2nd round pick. It looks like there will still be some really good players on the board in the 2nd round.

Yup! I can't wait for April myself!

Draft time, is when the future is full of hope, and new beginning of the next Great Chief Player!

I am from Nebraska, and I would love to see a Man named Ndamukong Suh, in a Chiefs uniform, but unlikely that he will be there, so I want the best player on the board, that can help us win! I know that defense win championships, and I want a return of the most feared defense in the NFL. I believe we need to draft a play maker in the first round of the draft, who ever it is, this draft we need one! Needs to be signed and in training camp on day one, setting the tone of I am here to play and win!
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 01-12-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    I thought this was discussed in another draft thread??? Tate will be Az-Zahir Hakim in the league...Deep threat and nothing else....True he makes plays but he's not built for the league and will get bodied at the next level against physical DBs. There are at least 6-8 WRs I'd take before him.
    Deep threat and nothing else? What makes him draftable is his ability as a WR. He isn't the tallest guy and he isn't a speedster. He's got some of the best hands of the available receivers.

Here's a scouting report on him.
    Golden Tate NFL Draft scouting*report - Mocking The Draft

Some key points.
    -Good route runner.
    -Good lateral quickness/movement.
    -Knows how to evade tacklers.
    -He's a YAC guy which will really help Cassel
    -Blocking ability.

Doesn't seem like a pure deep threat to me. He seems like a well rounded football player. Oh and he knows our new OC really well.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Draft time, is when the future is full of hope, and new beginning of the next Great Chief Player!

I am from Nebraska, and I would love to see a Man named Ndamukong Suh, in a Chiefs uniform, but unlikely that he will be there, so I want the best player on the board, that can help us win! I know that defense win championships, and I want a return of the most feared defense in the NFL. I believe we need to draft a play maker in the first round of the draft, who ever it is, this draft we need one! Needs to be signed and in training camp on day one, setting the tone of I am here to play and win!
    As much as I don't like the Huskers , I'd love to have Suh as well, almost to the point of not caring if that means having 3 highly paid DE's on the team. I think he's going number two to the Lions though. If we don't get him I agree that we need a defensive leader/playmaker. I hope it's Berry. We need a Polomalu/Reed presence on our defense, something I don't think Jackson and Dorsey are going to offer even if they develop into really solid players. If Berry is gone I hope we're able to trade down and nab McClain or Haden. Though after passing on Curry, I don't think Pioli would use a 5th overall on a LB.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    There is a whole hell of a lot of good WR's in this draft. I would like to see us go after Jordan Shipley, at least he can return punts and kick offs.
    You are right. This kid WILL be a SOLID player in the NFL. If we can get him, we should.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast