Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Haley shows interest in DJ next year.

Default Haley shows interest in DJ next year.

I was reading this article about players that should be here next year, and DJ was on the list. As long as we can resign him, he could potentially a starter again.

I think Haley is starting to figure things out.

Chiefs coach Haley has some surprises on his list of core players - KansasCity.com
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    People don't understand how important consistency is.

DJ has talent, and that's great. He can make huge plays. he is far more talented than Demorrio Williams. So why would a coach prefer Williams as the starter? Consistency.

let's say demorrio lacks the s speed required to make a TFL on a misdirection handoff when he bites on the line movement. DJ can get that play, but Demorrio can't.

Okay, so 8 times out of 10 DJ is there to make the stop for a big loss.

10 times out of 10 Demorrio is there to make the stop, but after a short gain.

You would want to go with DJ, right?

Not necessarily.

If the safety has seen DJ be in position 8 times, then the ninth, he bites on the line, because he knows DJ is in position for the stop. Well, guess what? this is the NINTH time, and DJ is out of position. Welcom to a 60 yard run. thanks, DJ.

now Demorrio has been in position 8 times out of ten. Well, he might not have the speed to make the play, but by being in position, the safety knows exactly where to play. He knows that Demorrio will always lock down this section of the field. Even though it is a smaller area than what DJ can cover, it is consistent, so the safety can adjust and always be in the right position.

That is just one example, and probably a poor one technically, but in theory it might help to explain why consistency is more highly regarded than potential.
    Good way of breaking it down. DJ has always been criticized as taking plays off and losing concentration, on top of his poor wrapping ability. Having him as a rotational player means he has less to concentrate and he performs better on the few plays that he is in.

I dont think him starting is going to result in a performance like he had in Denver every week. I think if you look at his stats the year before, he wasnt that much more productive as a starter (I havent actually compared his stats, so I could be completely wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    No, were talking about the future. Not the past. I don't care that DJ "Missed" tackles, whats done is done, as long as he can tackle next year.

No one on this team can seem to wrap up anyways, its not fair to single out on player, cause its all of them. The reason DJ was benched is because he was in Haleys dog house.
    I agree, they all missed LOTS of tackles, not just DJ. The missed tackles were every bit as frustrating as the multitude of dropped passes in 2009! Hopefully neither will be the case in 2010 with our new coaching additions, and other improving changes yet to come!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I would think that the poor coverage by the safeties is of large concern. I guess the coaches really like the dude we picked up near the end of the season (Price?), and I hate to judge Carr from one bad game.

Corners seem ok- Safeties need work.

I thought Williams and Hali did great at LB spot.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    I would think that the poor coverage by the safeties is of large concern. I guess the coaches really like the dude we picked up near the end of the season (Price?), and I hate to judge Carr from one bad game.

Corners seem ok- Safeties need work.

I thought Williams and Hali did great at LB spot.
    True that Williams led the team in tackles, but very few were quality tackles. Most were 4 or 5 yds down the field.
    I love Tamba, how hard he plays and he did play better than anyone could have exspected. Truth is he still has a long ways to go. He must improve his run defense and in coverage. He needs to get stronger to be able to throw a bull rush in every now and then. And must learn more pass rush moves where he isn't using the same speed rush 95% of the time.
    Vrabel is getting old and slow and Mays is a special teams player at best.
    I've posted my opionons on DJ too many times. If he doesn't learn to do his job the way the coaches want every play he will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    You know, I saw that interview and the way I remember it Haley started naming some guys.. and then a reporter kind of jumped in and asked about Derrick Johnson, and then Haley started talking about DJ. To me it didn't seem as if he was listing DJ as a core guy. Hopefully they bring him back though. He has a ton of talent that needs to be coached well, and Crennel can probably make him a great player.
    Yes, I agree. I heard the interview and they said there is things that DJ did that other people don't see appart for trom the two interceptions. He has worked hard all year and didn't complain. He said, I wish the best for DJ and hopefully for the Chiefs. In my opinion, it sounded like the Chiefs would like to resign him but not for what DJ will probably get on the market. If DJ even wants to talk to KC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123