Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

Default Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.

Offensive Line, Offensive Line, Offensive Line. Yeah, defense needs some work, but I agree with coach. You give the defense some rest and they will play better. The only way to do that is to get the offense controlling the game.

We have a high-priced young quarterback here that we have to protect, we need offensive line players and you do not get them through free agency.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Offensive Line, Offensive Line, Offensive Line. Yeah, defense needs some work, but I agree with coach. You give the defense some rest and they will play better. The only way to do that is to get the offense controlling the game.

We have a high-priced young quarterback here that we have to protect, we need offensive line players and you do not get them through free agency.
    The defense was getting plenty of rest in the 2nd half of the season when Charles was tearing it up, and they were still terrible. The offensive line also improved dramatically as the season progressed.

I guess I don't think the offensive line is as much of a need as some do. Sure adding an elite LT and moving Albert inside would probably improve things a bit, but how much? Albert played great down the stretch, and Wade Smith was awesome at RG.

I still think that we need to address the offensive line; for obvious reasons JMHO.

O-line is important to improve this year but i dont think it calls for a #5 pick in the draft. I want defense with the #5 at the least. then o-line we can use wiht one of the 2 2nd round picks we have.

In my opinion, our needs are ranked as follows:

1. Offensive line. this can be addressed in free agency, as long as it is a top free agent, and not a project. It can be addressed at the #5 pick, then move Albert to the right side. However, we need a new center above all else.

2. Wide receiver. regardless of re-signing Chambers, who is a band-aid, we need a legit #1 or #2 receiver. Dez Bryant would be great, because we could move Bowe to #2. we could also pick up Breaston in free agency or draft Tate in the second round if he falls.

3. Middle linebacker. Rolando McClain is looking better and better to me with our first pick. Watching this kid in interviews, he just seems like the perfect worker - focused, genuine, and motivated. He could be a solid anchor for ten years or more.

4. Nose tackle. ron edwards keeps winning the starting job, but that doesn't mean we should settle on him. A huge space eater like Dan Williams could make a big difference for our middle linebackers, and we might be able to snag him in the third round.

These are the order of importance for our team, but not necessarily the order of importance for getting more wins. I am sure that defense would get us wins faster, but I put offensive line and wide receiver higher, because they greatly affect the development of Matt Cassel, which I think is more of a big-picture strategy.

If they are really happy with Albert at left tackle, then we could take Berry or McClain at #5. If we got a center in free agency, the second round could net us a wide receiver and either a safety or MLB, depending on which we still need.

The third round we should be able to grab a top guard, and then I think we'll be looking at a VERY different '10 season.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    In my opinion, our needs are ranked as follows:

1. Offensive line. this can be addressed in free agency, as long as it is a top free agent, and not a project. It can be addressed at the #5 pick, then move Albert to the right side. However, we need a new center above all else.

2. Wide receiver. regardless of re-signing Chambers, who is a band-aid, we need a legit #1 or #2 receiver. Dez Bryant would be great, because we could move Bowe to #2. we could also pick up Breaston in free agency or draft Tate in the second round if he falls.

3. Middle linebacker. Rolando McClain is looking better and better to me with our first pick. Watching this kid in interviews, he just seems like the perfect worker - focused, genuine, and motivated. He could be a solid anchor for ten years or more.

4. Nose tackle. ron edwards keeps winning the starting job, but that doesn't mean we should settle on him. A huge space eater like Dan Williams could make a big difference for our middle linebackers, and we might be able to snag him in the third round.

These are the order of importance for our team, but not necessarily the order of importance for getting more wins. I am sure that defense would get us wins faster, but I put offensive line and wide receiver higher, because they greatly affect the development of Matt Cassel, which I think is more of a big-picture strategy.

If they are really happy with Albert at left tackle, then we could take Berry or McClain at #5. If we got a center in free agency, the second round could net us a wide receiver and either a safety or MLB, depending on which we still need.

The third round we should be able to grab a top guard, and then I think we'll be looking at a VERY different '10 season.
    Agreed!

Good post!

Did you get my PM?

Dan Williams will be drafted in the 1st rd.

I think Williams will be the first NT taken. Some teams may be turned off by Cody and who knows, if he's there in the 2nd I don't think we have any choice but to take him.

Berry at no.5
    Williams with our first 2nd rounder (long shot, but possible)
    OL with our second 2nd rounder
    LB
    WR
    TE
    RB

Playoffs

You can't go offensive first. How many times could the defense not stop the run or not stop the third Downs. The defense. Made quarterbacks look. Like all pros with career passing games. Get. Upgrade the wide reciever platoon thru free agents and later draft pics that wont drop the ball. This will improve the offensive. We must upgrade the defense first. We also need a back up running back. We are very thin at that spot so a upgrade is needed.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast