Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

Default Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.

I look for Miami or Pit to draft Williams. Look for SD to take Cody in the 1st rd. If SD doesn't take he would probably fall to us at 2a.

i want berry or Mclain at the #5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    The defense was getting plenty of rest in the 2nd half of the season when Charles was tearing it up, and they were still terrible. The offensive line also improved dramatically as the season progressed.

WEEK/OPP./T.O.P.

10_______Oak._____28:54
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Oakland Raiders - 2009 Week 10
    11_______Pit.______22:25
    NFL Game Center: Pittsburgh Steelers at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 11
    12_______S.D._____24:40
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at San Diego Chargers - 2009 Week 12
    13_______Den._____24:05
    NFL Game Center: Denver Broncos at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 13
    14_______Buf______29:26
    NFL Game Center: Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 14
    15_______Cle.______25:35
    NFL Game Center: Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 15
    16_______Cin.______26:08
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Cincinnati Bengals - 2009 Week 16
    17_______Den._____26:57
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Denver Broncos - 2009 Week 17

208:10 Total T.O.P. for the last 8 games.

And, by comparison....

WEEK/OPP./T.O.P.

1_____Balt.____20:11
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Baltimore Ravens - 2009 Week 1
    2_____Oak.____38:39
    NFL Game Center: Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 2
    3_____Phi._____29:25
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Philadelphia Eagles - 2009 Week 3
    4_____NYG____28:45
    NFL Game Center: New York Giants at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 4
    5_____Dal.____34:38
    NFL Game Center: Dallas Cowboys at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 5
    6_____Was.___37:10
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Washington Redskins - 2009 Week 6
    7_____S.D.____27:15
    NFL Game Center: San Diego Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 7
    9________Jax.______23:47
    NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars - 2009 Week 9

239:50 Total T.O.P. for the first 8 games.

The numbers indicate that The Chiefs were better in T.O.P. during the first half of the season.

Therefore, the defense was actually on the field more through the second half of the season, than they were during the first half.

Although, one could take these numbers and just point to the defense as having been unable to get off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by kcred View Post
    You can't go offensive first. How many times could the defense not stop the run or not stop the third Downs. The defense. Made quarterbacks look. Like all pros with career passing games. Get. Upgrade the wide reciever platoon thru free agents and later draft pics that wont drop the ball. This will improve the offensive. We must upgrade the defense first. We also need a back up running back. We are very thin at that spot so a upgrade is needed.
    Not that I disagree that defense is probably gonna have to be the first priority, but you sound as if it is the only priority, other than to get a WR or two and a backup RB off the scrap heap.

Our o-line played pretty well for half of a season. And maybe they aren't AS BAD as suspected.

But they were far from ideal. And some upgrades would likely help this team immensely.

Default Thanks for the stats.

You state guys, look at. Passing yds, rushing yds and third down convertions allowed by the defense each games. That will give a more accurate Gage about our defense. I find it astounding that you the fans can't see that the defense must be top priority this off season.

The thread states that it should be a top priority this DRAFT, not OFFSEASON.

I think it is a top priority, sure, but we could sign Vince Wilfork, Kirk Morrison, and DJ Williams.

then it's not such a priority, is it?

In fact, can you imagine signing two of the big linebacker free agents and Vince Wilfork, then drafting eric berry?

Kirk Morrison
    Thomas Howard
    DJ Williams
    Elvis Dumervil
    Lofa Tatupu
    Demeco Ryans
    Demarcus Ware
    Shawn Merriman
    D'Qwell Jackson
    James Harrison

Yeah, there are some really good linebackers available in free agency.

Stephen Tulloch and Barrett Ruud, too. He was second in the NFL in tackles with 142 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fansincebirth View Post
    We have got to get off the Wilfork wagon.
    I know we all saw the wonderful job he did against the jets.

We seem to all agree that we need upgrade at NT. I would prefer to make more of an upgrade than Wilfork.

Wilfork in 2009 31 solo tackles 0 sacks
    Edwards in 2009 24 solo tackles 0 sacks

Wilfork is the top rated FA NT/DT mayby we need to think about drafting somebody. Oh yea Raji was top NT last year in draft.

Raji in 2009 19 solo tackles 1 sacks

So mayby we just let Romeo coach up Edwards for another year and go after Brandon Mebane next year when he becomes a free agent and cant wait to get away from Pete Carrol. Who is the #5 ranked DT/NT in the league for 2009 with 40 solo tackles and 1.5 sacks.
    We could also look to do a trade with Buffalo, they are deep in good DT's, and have may other needs to fill. We could give them someone who we are not happy with but may be a good upgrade for them. Player and late draft pick, or just a mid second round pick. What im getting at is there are alot of options out there. But I dont think that Wilfork is one of them.
    I dont think you can judge a NT based on their statistics of tackles and sacks. Maybe tackles for loss. But NT arent supposed to be the ones making plays, they are supposed to be taking up blockers so others can make the plays. The numbers dont tell the whole story.

Come on, Vince Wilfork is not leaving. The Pats will not let him go. I really think Casey Hampton is the way to go. He's going to command a big salary with his recent play and the Steelers are notorious for not paying their talent much. At 32 he has a few years of good play left and could easily show a thing or two to a newly drafted NT like Williams or Cody.

Also, how about Dunta Robinson CB from Texas? He and flowers would shut corners down (then add Berry!)

And as for Brandon Marshall, if we have a shot to get him, you get him. He's incredibly talented and our head coach is a WR genius. Combine that with Weis' flare for an exciting offense and come on!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Chiefsfan View Post
    Come on, Vince Wilfork is not leaving. The Pats will not let him go. I really think Casey Hampton is the way to go. He's going to command a big salary with his recent play and the Steelers are notorious for not paying their talent much. At 32 he has a few years of good play left and could easily show a thing or two to a newly drafted NT like Williams or Cody.

Also, how about Dunta Robinson CB from Texas? He and flowers would shut corners down (then add Berry!)

And as for Brandon Marshall, if we have a shot to get him, you get him. He's incredibly talented and our head coach is a WR genius. Combine that with Weis' flare for an exciting offense and come on!
    Marshall would be nice he has alot of talent. The thing is can the Chiefs make him happy. They better be sure they can before they sign him. It might be a selling point that he will be able to play denver and stick it to Mcdanels twice a year. I just hope they no that they can keep him happy before they even think about signing him.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast