Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

Default Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.

All very good. Points on both sides of the ball. chiefs fans are the best. You can make a case for both sides. Can't wait to see how it all plays out. Keep bringing the strong threads. It makes the off season fun. Kc red

off all the years this has to be the time there may be an uncapped year. is it just our luck or what. I hope they get it worked out so we can have a capped year and have free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    In my opinion, our needs are ranked as follows:

1. Offensive line. this can be addressed in free agency, as long as it is a top free agent, and not a project. It can be addressed at the #5 pick, then move Albert to the right side. However, we need a new center above all else.

2. Wide receiver. regardless of re-signing Chambers, who is a band-aid, we need a legit #1 or #2 receiver. Dez Bryant would be great, because we could move Bowe to #2. we could also pick up Breaston in free agency or draft Tate in the second round if he falls.

3. Middle linebacker. Rolando McClain is looking better and better to me with our first pick. Watching this kid in interviews, he just seems like the perfect worker - focused, genuine, and motivated. He could be a solid anchor for ten years or more.

4. Nose tackle. ron edwards keeps winning the starting job, but that doesn't mean we should settle on him. A huge space eater like Dan Williams could make a big difference for our middle linebackers, and we might be able to snag him in the third round.

These are the order of importance for our team, but not necessarily the order of importance for getting more wins. I am sure that defense would get us wins faster, but I put offensive line and wide receiver higher, because they greatly affect the development of Matt Cassel, which I think is more of a big-picture strategy.

If they are really happy with Albert at left tackle, then we could take Berry or McClain at #5. If we got a center in free agency, the second round could net us a wide receiver and either a safety or MLB, depending on which we still need.

The third round we should be able to grab a top guard, and then I think we'll be looking at a VERY different '10 season.
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    i want berry or Mclain at the #5 pick.
    Today, I am in the same camp. First round McClain or Berry, whomever is left. 2nd round spend one of the two picks on the best OL player on the board.

I'm sure I will change my mind by tomorrow tho.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    off all the years this has to be the time there may be an uncapped year. is it just our luck or what. I hope they get it worked out so we can have a capped year and have free agency.
    It doesnt look good for a cap this year but like you I hope they can somehow get toget and get a deal done. IF nothing eles I would hate to go 2011 without football I would go crazy.

i just hope there smart and know that CBA has to be done this year for the future of the NFL. I think it will hurt everyone involved to much if theres not. i have hope for that reason they will get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    It doesnt look good for a cap this year but like you I hope they can somehow get toget and get a deal done. IF nothing eles I would hate to go 2011 without football I would go crazy.

Yes- a year without NFL football is not a year.

I am sure that all of you that posted are in tune with one another. I read through the first 2 pages and see alot of Defensive needs which are valid however, our Oline is in need to the tune of our first pick in the up coming draft. We have already invested in a QB that we need to protect and with Goff going down at RG it would mean that not only do we need a RT but also a RG. I see Pili and Haley looking for help in the FA area for one if not both but we also need to draft one of the 2 prefer RG before RT since we already have Richardson at Tackle who is a 4th year player. It is incredible that I also still see people asking for a RB to be drafted after JC raised our rushing O from pretty much dead last to inside the top 10 of the league. If we pick anything I would say WR but would take S or NT ahead of either RB or WR. With all of this said here is my order of importance,
    1.OLine
    2.NT
    3.S
    4.CB
    5.WR
    6.RB
    7.LB (Either outside or Middle)
    We will need to have multiple LBs with the defenses we will be looking to use.
    Chiefs Nation

Pioli drafts for positional value over need value, and watching highlights really shows that Okung and Davis really are not that far ahead of the rest of the OL class in the draft. OL at no. 5 pick is too much money for a guy who you could get equal play out of in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Ciron Black and Jason Fox (and dark horse Sam Young who I like since he's worked with Weis so much))

Now when you have guys like Berry and McClain who fill both the positional value and need value positions, it's hard to pass them up. And McClain is in a class by himself this draft at LB. Adding him to the team would compile a nice young stock of LB for the future. Berry is the best safety, but Mays and the kid from Texas aren't really that far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Chiefsfan View Post
    Pioli drafts for positional value over need value, and watching highlights really shows that Okung and Davis really are not that far ahead of the rest of the OL class in the draft. OL at no. 5 pick is too much money for a guy who you could get equal play out of in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Ciron Black and Jason Fox (and dark horse Sam Young who I like since he's worked with Weis so much))

Now when you have guys like Berry and McClain who fill both the positional value and need value positions, it's hard to pass them up. And McClain is in a class by himself this draft at LB. Adding him to the team would compile a nice young stock of LB for the future. Berry is the best safety, but Mays and the kid from Texas aren't really that far behind.
    Thats all fine and good but, Scott Pioli has always had the luxary of having players on his team that could play. In New England the Pats had playersthat could play the game and they weren't as bad off as the Chiefs are at this point. The only schematic we have to go off of in the position a team is in as to what he will do in a debate with value vs need is last years draft and he basically chose what we needed over what the value was, however I felt that the value of who he chose was very decent. I look for him to do the same thing until he get past pick 3 which is in the second round this year. It all really depends on who is available at the time our pick comes up and nobody can predict that. I just know we are not in a position to be able to pick for the luxary of value over need right now and I believe that they are smart enough to know the difference.
    Chiefs Nation

Very good evaluation of the ot. The tackles guards, wide outs, all grade out the same till you get past the top 110 prospects. This is the year to trade down.the value is I'm the 2nd & 3 rds. I would like to see trade out the #5 spot for a later first,second,and fight picks.
    I would like to see the chiefs with 4 to 5. Second.round pics and 2 third rnd. Pics. Whether by player and or draft trades.
    This years draft is all about. The 2&3. Rounds

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast