Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

Default Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.

I am wondering how long, in reality, Romeo has known that he would be coming on board here.

Has he already begun scouting some additions for his scheme here in KC, began looking at some subtractions here? I agree with the Haley to Weis transition being in line with one another, the Pendergast to Crennel I am still debating. I hope he has the time he needs before the draft comes.
    Last edited by #58ChiefsFan; 01-13-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Eric Berry best defensive player chiefs can draft IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kcred View Post
    As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.
    We are not that far off with our defence. NT, S are biggest need. We dont need to draft a RB though most all teams do in the later rounds at least. You will be suprised at how much differance a good DC and D line coach will make. We have a good set of young LB's and DE's. About 13 years exp. spread over 6 players. This year it will be 19 years, alot of differance.

Biggest need is definitely safety. Though Berry will already be gone by the time the 5th pick rolls around, there is no other "big name" safeties to pick up till the second round. (Stuckey from KU and Mays from USC).

I think we need to draft Rolondo McClain and keep building this defense the right way. He would instantly upgrade this defense. He is a sideline to sideline tackler, a great leader, good in coverage, hes played in both D schemes, and I love his build...6'1 250. Our front 7 playing better and doing their jobs makes it easier for our secondary to do theirs, not the other way around. Though I agree we need an upgrade at S, I dont think there is any way we pass up this kind of talent at ILB...not after how bad our LBs played this year...

I dont think there is anyway we cant draft D with our first unless we trade back...

Wilfork would be awesome, but I don't see why they would let him get away. NT definitely is a big priority though.

NT
    SS
    OLB
    CB2
    ILB (if DJ stays, otherwise move ILB up)

That's how I rank our biggest needs on defense. I have CB2 above ILB because Carr was picked on all year, Williams was a tackle machine and DJ has a lot of talent that Crennel can hopefully get the most out of.

On offense, I'd really be happy with just a slot receiver, backup RB, and 2-3 offensive linemen to bring into the mix. Our line was so good down the stretch that I don't see it as a top priority, though an upgrade would be nice.

Thats not they way you build a team. This team has lots of positions to fill. You have to evenly build it, or otherwise you don't get that other side fixed.

When we had a defense, we didn't have an offense. When we had an offense, we didn't have a defense.

Its like putting up scaffolding, you have to put one section up on side, then the other...before you can go to the next level.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Default We have to draft D first

There is no debate. We have to draft Defense first. KC's defense was 30th in the league (22nd against pass and 31st against the rush) whereas our offense was 25th (11th rushing and 25th passing). Our OL played surprisingly well the 2nd half of the season. So to sum up my thoughts:

The Draft (if we don't trade down):
    Berry if he's available or McClain if Berry's gone (since linebackers are the playmakers in a 3-4 and he's touted as the smartest/most athletic LB in years). Or we trade down and get more picks. Good OL can be found throughout this particular draft.

Free Agency (not all, but some):
    Retain Chris Chambers
    -Casey Hampton NT Pittsburgh
    -Willie Colon RT Pittsburgh
    -Logan Mankins OG New England (why not, we have a ton of NE personnel aready!)
    -Brandon Marshall WR Denver
    -Steve Breaston WR AZ
    -Lance Moore WR NO

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast