View Poll Results: How happy are you with Scott Pioli after 1 season?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thrilled

20 30.77%
  • Happy

24 36.92%
  • Neutral

16 24.62%
  • Disappointed

5 7.69%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate Pioli's 1st year on the job

Default Rate Pioli's 1st year on the job

The 1st year under Pioli is complete. THe Chiefs obviously had a very tough season in 2009, but here is a partial list of his achievements.

1. Fired Herm Edwards
    2. Hired Todd Haley
    3. Brought in Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss
    4. Continually searched the waiver wire to bring in players during the season including Chris Chambers.
    5. Cut LJ
    6. Traded Gonzo for 2nd round pick

I am thrilled with what he has accomplished in only 1 year with the Chiefs.

Great job Scott!
    Last edited by Coach; 01-14-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I can't speak for others, but don't think I'm being unrealistic for playoff hopes in 2010. I base my hopes on the overall picture, all factors considered, not just the hiring of new coaches...though this poll was related to such. No one is perfect at any job, including Pioli as a GM in the NFL...but, I am thrilled overall with the job he's done so far as the Chiefs GM.

I don't believe I'm wearing rose colored glasses when I see more positive than negative with our Chiefs being on the road to the playoffs in 2010.

No doubt I could be let down, nothing is guaranteed, been there done that many times...BUT, it feels very good to have such hopes during the off season & be truly looking forward to a new season. I do believe it is more possible than not, that we could make the playoffs in 2010...based upon the overall positive factor's to date, & with speculating as a result that more positive factor's are to come.

We have many of the Bronco & Raider fans worried now...they must see some positive factor's too.

GO CHIEFS 2010!!
    So much depends on the offseason aquisitions, both in the draft and in free agency. Free agency this year is a mess too, especially if the CBA remains a question mark.

If the Chiefs do now address those key areas where we need help, primarily, offensive line, linebacker and receivers, we are going to have another mediocre year.

I do have hope that Hunt, Pioli, and Haley intend on putting together a winner. They certainly went out to get the coaching staff to make it happen!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalT View Post
    The question was to rate Pioli's first year. I think hiring Haley was a mistake. I don't think it's a coincidence that we hired 2 ex-coaches as coordinators. This can only help Haley.
    I only quoted the part of your post I want to reply to. I don't think hiring Haley was a mistake, but I do agree with you on I don't think it's a coincidence that we hired 2 ex-coaches to compliment Haley's early transitions years into the NFL as a Head Coach.

This is speculation and a big 'IF'...I also see the hiring of such as a possible further back up plan in place, just in case Haley doesn't fulfill Pioli's expectations as a Head Coach...he may feel he now already has a replacement in position to replace Haley.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    My question was...who were the big free agent aquisitions that we should have gotten? who was available that would have really upgraded this team?
    They did not have to be big free agent aquisitions. I know that there were some. I could go look them up if you want me to, but here is the reality.

We didn't do ANYTHING in free agency last season. We traded for a couple of backups to fill some holes, but we made no offers of any significance last season. 0. Now there has to have been a couple of players out there that we could have brought in.

I believe in the draft to build the team, but I have said a thousand times that you have to have a mix of veterans with the rookies. A lesson Edwards learned the hard way.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    So much depends on the offseason aquisitions, both in the draft and in free agency. Free agency this year is a mess too, especially if the CBA remains a question mark.

If the Chiefs do now address those key areas where we need help, primarily, offensive line, linebacker and receivers, we are going to have another mediocre year.

I do have hope that Hunt, Pioli, and Haley intend on putting together a winner. They certainly went out to get the coaching staff to make it happen!
    Yeah, that's what I meant by from what I've seen so far that's been positive, I speculate with believing there will be more positive factors take place, such as fulfilling needs with players through FA/draft.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

They did not have to be big free agent aquisitions. I know that there were some. I could go look them up if you want me to, but here is the reality.

We didn't do ANYTHING in free agency last season. We traded for a couple of backups to fill some holes, but we made no offers of any significance last season. 0. Now there has to have been a couple of players out there that we could have brought in.

I believe in the draft to build the team, but I have said a thousand times that you have to have a mix of veterans with the rookies. A lesson Edwards learned the hard way.
    See, my memory could be wrong, but I'm not convinced on building a team through the draft. With a few exceptions of course, such as DT...in my memory it seems many players we draft are cut or traded within a couple years after drafting. Granted this was under the Peterson era, but still how I remember it, which leaves me with not much faith in the draft as far as building a team.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Me! and I would have been cheap, 2 mill would have signed me to take one hit, and go on injured reserve.
    ME TOO! Only I would've taken free season tickets to play the position of 12th man, no injury risk either!

~Second thought~...I suppose if I got knocked down by someone too intoxicated, or an opposing fan, I could get injured, or with banging on a seat too hard I could break a wrist, hahaha.

I agree with you in the fact that we do need a mix of vets and rookies. Thats my biggest thing with herm and Carl they went FAR FAR to young.

We dont no that the Chiefs made 0 offers to any names. But i will say again thats never been Piolis way to do things. He was never one to sign the big names. Randy Moss is the rare exception and there may be a couple of more.

I belive Albert Haynsworth was the bigest prize out there last offseason. He would have been nice to see. But you also got to rember at the time we were just getting a coaching staff together and all that other fun stuff that comes with change. This offseason will be more of a true test to see what Pioli can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    See, my memory could be wrong, but I'm not convinced on building a team through the draft. With a few exceptions of course, such as DT...in my memory it seems many players we draft are cut or traded within a couple years after drafting. Granted this was under the Peterson era, but still how I remember it, which leaves me with not much faith in the draft as far as building a team.
    We may have a coaching staff that will be able to better transition players from college to NFL. I don't mine FA, but I would love to actually see our draft picks become something. Some of it's on the players, but a lot of it is on the coaching. We had an ex-OC come in after a defense heavy draft. Let's give it a few years to see what he can do.

Peterson was NOT the best at drafting. IMO, he made a much better President than he did GM.
    Everything happens for a reason.

In our case, we have to look beyond the Chiefs organization to see what works and doesn't work. Pioli will help change our perspective....I hope. I'm so glad Peterson is gone.
    Everything happens for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    We may have a coaching staff that will be able to better transition players from college to NFL. I don't mine FA, but I would love to actually see our draft picks become something. Some of it's on the players, but a lot of it is on the coaching. We had an ex-OC come in after a defense heavy draft. Let's give it a few years to see what he can do.

Peterson was NOT the best at drafting. IMO, he made a much better President than he did GM.
    That's true with a coaching staff now possibly being better to help rookies make the transition. I also agree Peterson did well with drafting some great players, such as DT, Jared Allen. It's just that he cut many too, for one reason or another...such as Jared. :(

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast