Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are the rules more for Offense?

Default Why are the rules more for Offense?

I have been seeing a trend lately where all the new rules are to help the offense? When did the game turn into a unfair advantage for the Defense?
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

I think they do this under the premise that people want to see more high-scoring, fast-paced games and big plays. It's marketing and the pursuit of making more money.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I think it's unfair. Make it equal on both sides.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I think it's unfair. Make it equal on both sides.
    If they did that, they wouldn't sell all those Manning and T.O. jerseys every year.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I have been seeing a trend lately where all the new rules are to help the offense? When did the game turn into a unfair advantage for the Defense?

I think the mind set is that high powered offense puts more butts in the seats, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I think they do this under the premise that people want to see more high-scoring, fast-paced games and big plays. It's marketing and the pursuit of making more money.
    Agreed! I, too, believe this to be the case; it's a marketing ploy.

I despise the way the rules have been getting 'geared' toward the offense. Let the Arena leagues cheat their defensive players. I like the game of football to be played fairly. I don't believe in a sixty yard penalty. I feel that if they are going to penalize the defense as harshly as they do, then they need to start penalizing the offense in a similar fashion. Let's say 25 yards and an automatic fourth down, for holding. And, start actually calling holding.

Of course that would be ridiculous, but the current offensively-swayed rules are equally ridiculous.

This, in no way, suggests that it is wise for a head coach to not want his team to score thirty points in todays NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Herm would hate that.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Herm would hate that.

Heh! Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I despise the way the rules have been getting 'geared' toward the offense. Let the Arena leagues cheat their defensive players. I like the game of football to be played fairly. I don't believe in a sixty yard penalty. I feel that if they are going to penalize the defense as harshly as they do, then they need to start penalizing the offense in a similar fashion. Let's say 25 yards and an automatic fourth down, for holding. And, start actually calling holding.

Of course that would be ridiculous, but the current offensively-swayed rules are equally ridiculous.

This, in no way, suggests that it is wise for a head coach to not want his team to score thirty points in todays NFL.
    Bang on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast