Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Default Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
    Neil Smith
    Tony Gonzalez
    T-Rich
    Priest Holmes
    Kimble Anders
    Will Shields
    Dave Szott
    Tim Grunhard
    Kevin Ross
    Dan Saleaumua
    John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    To me I think Carl pretty much allowed the coach to do what he wanted as far as what kind of team he put on the field. Marty and Dick vermile both wanted a vetran lead team. Herm wanted to go young. They went far to young and Carl is no longer in KC. But in his 20 years He did have some good years. But he left this team a mess.
    Well, rumor had it that Peterson stuck his nose into the coaching aspect way too often...even calling down from his suite questioning the coaches on plays, game situations and what to do, etc..

In fact, he was so well known for interferring, that when he approached his friend Dick Vermeil with the possibility of coaching for the Chiefs...Vermeil knowing Peterson for years, told him one of his conditions would be that he be allowed to do his job as a HC without Peterson's interference...Peterson announced publicly he agreed to that condition.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Pujols' contract expires in 2001. There is a lot of speculation as to weather of not the cardinals can afford both Holliday and Pujols long term. Maybe the Chiefs could offer him a huge contract and teach him to be a D lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    To me, a true Die hard Loyal player to the Chiefs is a person that makes KC their home. The Chiefs are more than just a team. They are the community. People like Tony G, and Priest only called KC work. The promptly moved back to California or Texas when the season was over.

True diehard players, like Tim Grunhard and Will Shields made KC their home all year long, and have stayed in KC even after they retired and continue to make the community around them better.
    I have to say I do agree wholeheartedly with you on this point. I didn't realize Tony, nor Priest, no longer have any ties to KC. I thought Tony had invested in KC with opening restaurants, etc...and retained a KC home, but maybe not now.

I believe Marcus Allen still retains a residence in KC too, and of course he has his auto dealerships...unless he's sold those? I've not kept up to date with Marcus. Marcus did enter the HOF as a Raider, although he stated publicly he would've preferred to enter as a Chief...he sort a double did the HOF, representing both teams. He is in the Chiefs Hall of Fame also.

Neil Smith, Bill Maas, Dan Saleaumua, and others on my list do still reside and contribute to the community in KC. I think Christian Okoye lives in Columbia, MO.? Saleaumua has a second home out West, but does retain a house in KC too.

if they were loyal than the KC Royals would be the Sh*t and won atleast two World Series by now but no most number 1 picks bounce out after a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    I think a better question Connie is: Are there any remaining athletes who are loyal to any organization? Whether it be basketball, football, or baseball, i do not see any true loyal athletes anymore. Players will go to where they are going to be the most comfortable and make the most money.
    I don't blame a player for not being loyal to any team. The team is not going to be so loyal to them. It is, most definitely, a business to the team, and they will, almost every time, squeeze a player for every nickle.

If you show loyalty to a team, then expect that team to take advantage of you for it.

As rare as it is to see a player show that kind of loyalty, it even more rare to see a team do it.

P.S. Add Peyton Manning to that list of players who have volunteered for paycuts. (Or so I have heard.)

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post

No, I don't blame a player for doing what is best for their family, and so on. That isn't the point of my post really...my point is, there were players, including those on the list...who spent most of their career's with the Chiefs during the Free Agency era, and from time to time...some were noted to not go after contract increases to stay in KC.
    I actually was pretty much in agreement with your original post. I was responding more to the people who were marking players off of your list one by one. I understand where they were coming from, but at the same time I think we have to understand that, as was the case with Tony, sometimes players bleed red and gold but they leave for other reasons.

I honestly think I could make a case for Jared Allen being on the list. He bleed red and gold, but Peterson was not always the best at dealing with players in a way that they felt was fair. If the relationship between those two had not gone South, Jared Allen would probably still be a Chief and very well may have retired one.

I like the post. It's an interesting read. Of course, I would definitely include Deron Cherry. He played 11 years, all with the Chiefs and was an outstanding safety.

You know, as boring as I find the Jets I really hope Tony Richardson wins a Super Bowl. The other day he talked about how much he wants to be able to touch the Lamar Hunt trophy because of how much Lamar did for him and his family. Great football player and great person. It's too bad he wasn't re-signed a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I actually was pretty much in agreement with your original post. I was responding more to the people who were marking players off of your list one by one. I understand where they were coming from, but at the same time I think we have to understand that, as was the case with Tony, sometimes players bleed red and gold but they leave for other reasons.

I honestly think I could make a case for Jared Allen being on the list. He bleed red and gold, but Peterson was not always the best at dealing with players in a way that they felt was fair. If the relationship between those two had not gone South, Jared Allen would probably still be a Chief and very well may have retired one.
    I definitely agree! Jared said publicly he had bought land and intended to build a house making KC his permanent residence, believing he would be a Chief for his career. He based that on Peterson's promise's to him when he was signed, that if he performed, Peterson would make it worth his while to stay a Chief for the length of his career. Peterson let the personality & lifestyle differences between the two cause him to go back on his initial promise to Jared. IMO...it's not cool for a GM to make decisions based upon personal feelings. It should have been about what was best for the Chiefs & fan's, not an ego power trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalT View Post
    I like the post. It's an interesting read. Of course, I would definitely include Deron Cherry. He played 11 years, all with the Chiefs and was an outstanding safety.
    Definitely Deron Cherry! Can't believe I forgot him! My bad indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    You know, as boring as I find the Jets I really hope Tony Richardson wins a Super Bowl. The other day he talked about how much he wants to be able to touch the Lamar Hunt trophy because of how much Lamar did for him and his family. Great football player and great person. It's too bad he wasn't re-signed a few years back.
    Same here! I didn't realize T-Rich had even signed with the Jet's this year until I watched the playoff game! I knew when Peterson released him, that he later signed with the Vike's, but when I noted he was no longer with the Vike's this year, assumed he retired...wrong assumption! I began rooting for the Jet's myself, in hopes T-Rich would participate in a Super Bowl at least during his career, if not win a ring.

T-Rich was very loyal to KC, and made every attempt & plea to Peterson to keep him there, including offer to take a pay cut. Peterson turned his head, for no justified reason other than profit. I know the NFL and Chiefs are about making profit more than anything else, BUT...that doesn't always make it right in principle. Loyalty to the KC community, through charity work and interacting with the fans through hosting annual event's...such as Draft Day at Arrowhead, of which T-Rich did...IMO is of far more value.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
    Neil Smith
    Tony Gonzalez
    T-Rich
    Priest Holmes
    Kimble Anders
    Will Shields
    Dave Szott
    Tim Grunhard
    Kevin Ross
    Dan Saleaumua
    John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.
    The men I would exclude from this list are the following:
    Neil Smith
    Tony Gonzalez
    T-Richardson
    These men have basically thought of themself only and did not prove to be loyal Chiefs players.
    Neil Smith went to Denver for money, whatever.
    Tony G. went to a team that he thought would get him a ring and he was wrong, totally selfish reason to leave a team.
    Tony Richardson basically left the team to make more money and to avoid the coaching staff. I understand avoiding Herm but still selfish thinking.
    When I think of players that are loyal to a team I think of players that are drafted by the team and remain on that team until they either retire. 2 of the 3 I mentioned are still playing and Tony Richardson is playing in the AFC Championship this weekend. I am glad that happened for him and very glad it didn't happen for Tony G.
    Chiefs Nation

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast