Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Default Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
    Neil Smith
    Tony Gonzalez
    T-Rich
    Priest Holmes
    Kimble Anders
    Will Shields
    Dave Szott
    Tim Grunhard
    Kevin Ross
    Dan Saleaumua
    John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Tom Brady took a pay cut to help the Patriots with the roster a few years back, if I remember correctly.
    Yes Brady did indeed, and he's done it more than once. There are others too, but with less notable names. Also, there have been Chiefs players, such as T-Rich...who offered to take a pay cut to stay with the Chiefs, but Peterson turned down.

Can't really blame a player who has been cut against their desire for signing with another team...even if a rival. Once cut, they have no choice but to sign with who ever offer's them a contract, if they want to continue to earn a salary that is. :)

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Carl Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by wichitaj View Post
    Carl Peterson
    Sucks.
    Chiefs in 2011

Maybe Flowers. I can see him being here for years. Other than that IDK.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Good call, I would have to agree. I dunno, to me a loyal Chief would be someone who stuck it out through their whole career. Those guys are tough to find though. Connie mentioned the money thing though, which I'm assuming is why Neil and TRich left (someone else offered more money). I think it's rare for an athlete to stay on a team for less money than he can make elsewhere though. The only couple examples I can think of (and I'm sure there are more) is when Marian Hossa went to the Red Wings last year for less money than the Penguins were offering to win a Stanley Cup (and then the Penguins beat the Wings in the finals lol). The other example is Brett Favre giving money back to the organization to be able to sign more FAs.

One other note, this is a rebuilding team...With that we're young and won't see a lot of loyal Chiefs for another 4-5 years.
    Neil and T-Rich were released/cut/traded by the Chiefs. It wasn't about money for either. T-Rich publicly stated he wanted to remain a Chief, and offered to take a pay cut to do so, but Peterson turned him down. See my post futher up defending Neil as to why he left the Chiefs...not about money for him either, he was let go.

Tom Brady has taken pay cut's to help the Pat's many times, and there have been a handful of other less notable names over the years...not many though.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Chiefsfan View Post
    How about Brian Waters?! The guys I see staying and keeping their heart here are Cassel, Charles and Flowers. Maybe because they are the heart of our core team, but we gave all of them a shot, they play hard, the fans love them (maybe not cassel yet, but you will) and they will remember that.
    Brain Waters is a candidate to remain a Chief at heart I think. Actually, it seems it's the Chiefs power's that let most the players go, rather than the players themselves it seems...now that I re-think why many of the players leave.

Most are traded, cut, or released due to aging and not performing as they once did. I would tend to think those aging players realize they're past their prime, and do offer to accept pay cuts...likely the Chiefs power's who refuse the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    And Chargers....

And Connie's not a dude.
    I missed some of the replies earlier, which is why I'm now reading through again and replying. I have yet to figure out how the mulitiple quote works. I've tried a few times, but I tend to be slow with some tech stuff, haha.

No, not a dude, haha...thanks! There are men named Connie, although unusual...such as Connie Mack, the baseball player, so I understand when someone assumes I'm a dude, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Sucks.

He had some good years and did well...he just became a bit too much of an ego maniac over the years, took the fans for granted as being loyal win or lose...and lost his mind in the later years!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post

He had some good years and did well...he just became a bit too much of an ego maniac over the years, took the fans for granted as being loyal win or lose...and lost his mind in the later years!
    To me I think Carl pretty much allowed the coach to do what he wanted as far as what kind of team he put on the field. Marty and Dick vermile both wanted a vetran lead team. Herm wanted to go young. They went far to young and Carl is no longer in KC. But in his 20 years He did have some good years. But he left this team a mess.

Pujols is the man. He is a true leader on and off the field. If KC could find there "Pujols" it would solidify this organization for lots of years to come

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast