Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Default Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
    Neil Smith
    Tony Gonzalez
    T-Rich
    Priest Holmes
    Kimble Anders
    Will Shields
    Dave Szott
    Tim Grunhard
    Kevin Ross
    Dan Saleaumua
    John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

How about Brian Waters?! The guys I see staying and keeping their heart here are Cassel, Charles and Flowers. Maybe because they are the heart of our core team, but we gave all of them a shot, they play hard, the fans love them (maybe not cassel yet, but you will) and they will remember that.
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

What about Larry Johnson on that list? Haha, kidding of course.

I would remove Tony G from this list. A lot of people won't agree with me, but in the end he's not a loyal Chief.

Right now the most loyal Chiefs are the guys on the practice squad...They would hate to leave this team b/c they might not ever get picked up haha!

All kidding aside, I would consider Waters loyal. Sure he wasn't happy at the beginning of the year, but he's stuck it out and things have gotten better for his situation. Other than that, I can't really name anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

I would remove Tony G from this list. A lot of people won't agree with me, but in the end he's not a loyal Chief.

Right now the most loyal Chiefs are the guys on the practice squad...They would hate to leave this team b/c they might not ever get picked up haha!

All kidding aside, I would consider Waters loyal. Sure he wasn't happy at the beginning of the year, but he's stuck it out and things have gotten better for his situation. Other than that, I can't really name anyone else.
    By that logic you would have to take T Rich and Neil Smith off the list too.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
    Neil Smith
    Tony Gonzalez
    T-Rich
    Priest Holmes
    Kimble Anders
    Will Shields
    Dave Szott
    Tim Grunhard
    Kevin Ross
    Dan Saleaumua
    John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.
    neil smith signed with the broncos, dude. come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    By that logic you would have to take T Rich and Neil Smith off the list too.
    Good call, I would have to agree. I dunno, to me a loyal Chief would be someone who stuck it out through their whole career. Those guys are tough to find though. Connie mentioned the money thing though, which I'm assuming is why Neil and TRich left (someone else offered more money). I think it's rare for an athlete to stay on a team for less money than he can make elsewhere though. The only couple examples I can think of (and I'm sure there are more) is when Marian Hossa went to the Red Wings last year for less money than the Penguins were offering to win a Stanley Cup (and then the Penguins beat the Wings in the finals lol). The other example is Brett Favre giving money back to the organization to be able to sign more FAs.

One other note, this is a rebuilding team...With that we're young and won't see a lot of loyal Chiefs for another 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    And Chargers....

And Connie's not a dude.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 01-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.

To me, a true Die hard Loyal player to the Chiefs is a person that makes KC their home. The Chiefs are more than just a team. They are the community. People like Tony G, and Priest only called KC work. The promptly moved back to California or Texas when the season was over.

True diehard players, like Tim Grunhard and Will Shields made KC their home all year long, and have stayed in KC even after they retired and continue to make the community around them better.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    This is, unfortunately, the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

If you take Tony off you gotta take off Neil Smith and Tony Richardson for the same reason.

*edit* I guess 20 people already beat me too it, I guess great minds really do think alike
    Last edited by figcrostic; 01-21-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast