Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

Default Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

I have heard many people in here say that they want us to pick Suh, if he was available. Some even want us to trade to an earlier pick to get him. I dont think he will be a good fit for the team because he fills a position that is already filled. Bear with me, it is a long post because I want to explain my thoughts in detail.

Yes, I know our defensive line is no where near the best in the league. However, just putting any good player is not going to improve the DL.

First, we need to look at what skill set Suh brings to us. He is a great defensive tackle in the 4-3 that he has played in. He is a little on the small side and has spent some time playing as a DE in special packages in a 4-3. His role in that defense was to get past the person(s) blocking him and get to the QB or the RB. He has good agility, some bull rush ability and good handwork to get off of blocks.

Next lets look at our defense and where we need help. We run a 3-4. The role of all 3 linemen in a 3-4 are to push the linemen back. They are run stuffers, and they are supposed to collapse the pocket. The players who play DE in this defense are not expected to get sacks (but sacks are always welcome). Their primary duty is to occupy space to clog running lanes, and/or to stop the run. The NTs job is very similar. DEs in a 3-4 are very similar in size to the DTs in a 4-3, and a NT in a 3-4 is supposed to be very large. The skill set desired in a 3-4 linemen is strength to push the opponents back. Agility and shedding blockers is not a skill that they are supposed to focus on.

On our DL we have Dorsey and TJ starting at the DE positions. Edwards is our NT. Right now the biggest need is at NT. Edwards is not a true NT. He is a converted DT. He is undersized and not strong enough to handle the double teams a NT should handle. Dorsey has done better than expected at DE. When he was gone, we got destroyed in the running game. TJ has not done great, but he is also a rookie, and there is a huge learning curve (2 seasons usually) for defensive linemen in the NFL. We do not need 3-4 DEs, we need a NT.

If we drafted Suh, what position would he play? NT? He is too small and doesnt have the brute strength to play there. 3-4 DE? He could probably play this position, but we already have one good DE (Dorsey) and someone we expect to become a good DE (T. Jackson). So by drafting Suh, we are basically drafting someone to replace two people we have a lot of money tied up in that are not playing horribly.

We have much bigger needs that we would be better off filling with that 1st pick.

Now, this is obviously just my opinion, but I could not help but share it given everyone's obsession with wanting Suh. Now I am not saying that he wont be a good player, or that he is not worth picking in the top 5. He is just not a good fit for our current team.

It will be interesting to see how Cody plays this weekend and what shape he's in at the combine. If he's real serious about playing he'll work his butt off getting in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Cody plays this weekend and what shape he's in at the combine. If he's real serious about playing he'll work his butt off getting in shape.
    Cody's weigh-in has to be one of the most anticipated weigh-ins of any prospect I can remember.

I have found another NT possiblity. Kade Weston DT, Geogia. I can't find much on hin. His weight varies in different reports between 317 and 327. They all say he is very strong and hard to move off the line of scrimage. What really caught my eye is they say he has hardly any body fat. 320 lbs is a lot of muscle mass.

I defently think I SUH is at the 5th spot the Chiefs should take him. You simply dont pass on a player like that. But I dont think he will be there so it is not realy going to matter. But I think he could be an instant help for the pass rush so IF possible take him.

I have learned, that if I want to participate in draft discussions during the off season...I need to become a fan of NCAA and start following college football way more than I have in past years. I don't have a clue who we should or should not draft based upon college performance, endurance, ability, & talent.

My biggest participation with the draft over the years has been attending Draft Day at Arrowhead, and rooting for a draftee to fill a position I felt we needed...assuming the Chiefs were drafting the best available as such.

I am learning much about the draft by reading the related threads, however! Thanks guys! :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

370 lbs for Cody. That's a large man.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I have learned, that if I want to participate in draft discussions during the off season...I need to become a fan of NCAA and start following college football way more than I have in past years. I don't have a clue who we should or should not draft based upon college performance, endurance, ability, & talent.

My biggest participation with the draft over the years has been attending Draft Day at Arrowhead, and rooting for a draftee to fill a position I felt we needed...assuming the Chiefs were drafting the best available as such.

I am learning much about the draft by reading the related threads, however! Thanks guys! :)
    Ha, no problem. Honestly, I don't watch a whole lot of college football. I am, however, really into following the draft stock of each player through the year and kind of learning about their strengths and weaknesses, what kind of schemes they fit into, potential future Chiefs, etc. Just one of my many nerdy interests.

Suh does not fit this team because he is on the D line. We need help at O line, O line, O line, Safety, Line backer, Running Back and WR... before we hit the D-line.

I remember the same talks about Dorsey before we drafted him. No more D lineman in the first round please. It isn't working of us..

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post

I dont watch much college football either. Mainly just becuse of there joke of a post season. But I did watch a couple of nebraka's games once i started hearing about Suh. I liked what i saw. Hes realy the only one that I think would be a great pick. But sadly the rams will probley snatch him.

I don't see Pioli and Haley going for any Dlinemen in the first pick for us as we can fill the needs there in FA. Kade Weston DT and Terrence Cody are 2 talented players no doubt but the problems with our D are not the line , my opinion is we are going to get an Olineman which would benefit us much more. We need to protect our QB that we just contracted for 6 years and give our new stud RB lanes to get to the second level much easier. Most of the running JC had were created by himself , just think what he could do if he has a hole you could drive a cruise ship through.
    Below is a possible top 10 of the Olinemen in the 2010 Draft:
    1 Russell Okung Oklahoma St.
    6-8 299 96 2 Trent Williams
    Oklahoma 6-5 306 94 3 Bryan Bulaga
    Iowa 6-6 311 93 4 Charles Brown
    USC 6-5 285 92 5 Anthony Davis
    Rutgers 6-5 328 91 6 Tony Washington
    Abilene Christian
    6-6 300 83 7 Sam Young
    Notre Dame
    6-7 314 81 8 Selvish Capers
    West Virginia
    6-4 293 80 9 Kyle Calloway
    Iowa 6-6 318 78 10 Jason Fox
    Miami 6-6 301 77{courtesy of ESPN NFL NFC West Blog}
    If we can secure any of the top 5 for our line it would mean an immediate upgrade to our Oline. I was very surprised to see
    3Bryan Bulaga
    Iowa6-631193because he is only a Jr but his play was outstanding this past season as Iowa had 2 true freshmen at RB and they were basically a running team.
    2Trent Williams
    Oklahoma6-530694Trent Williams is a monster and anyone that comes out of a Bob Stoops offense is worthy.
    If we don't go OLine the other spot in need is MLB as Mike Vrabel as talented as he is may be coming to the end of his career in the next 2 years if not this offseason and it would be a very good defensive move to get a top talent for him to help train for his replacement. Here is a possible top 3 LBs entering the draft:
    #1 LB Prospect for 2010 NFL Draft- Rolando McClain- Alabama
    Rolando McClain is big athlete who hits hard. McClain will be a feared linebacker at the NFL level and should be an immediate starter for whatever team that drafts him. McClain is 6’4” and over 250 pounds and projects to run the 40 at around 4.6. McClain can expect to be a top 15 pick during the 2010 NFL Draft.
    2010 NFL Mock Draft Projection: Top 15 Pick
    #2 LB Prospect for 2010 NFL Draft- Brandon Spikes – Florida
    Brandon Spikes is a top of the line middle linebacker who will get the attention of pro scouts. Like McClain, he is big and fast and will do well roaming the middle in the NFL. Look for Spikes to be taken in the first round on draft day.
    2010 NFL Mock Draft Projection: 1st Round
    #3 LB Prospect for 2010 NFL Draft- Sergio Kindle- Texas
    Sergio Kindle is an outside linebacker that can stuff the run and rush the passer. Kindle will give an NFL team the versatility of using him in several different schemes. He possesses great speed for 6’4” 250 pound player. Look for Sergio to get taken in the early second round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
    {courtesy of Life123}
    We also have a need for SS and FS but I don't see Haley or Pioli having any desires to use our top p[ick for either position , maybe a third or forth round pick for those. It should be very interesting to see what we do, for the most part I understand why some fans want Suh to be our first pick , we just have other needs that warrant the attention. He would also be a good tool for aquiring more draft picks if he is available.
    Last edited by endzonewillie; 01-25-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Chiefs Nation

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast