Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

Default Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

I have heard many people in here say that they want us to pick Suh, if he was available. Some even want us to trade to an earlier pick to get him. I dont think he will be a good fit for the team because he fills a position that is already filled. Bear with me, it is a long post because I want to explain my thoughts in detail.

Yes, I know our defensive line is no where near the best in the league. However, just putting any good player is not going to improve the DL.

First, we need to look at what skill set Suh brings to us. He is a great defensive tackle in the 4-3 that he has played in. He is a little on the small side and has spent some time playing as a DE in special packages in a 4-3. His role in that defense was to get past the person(s) blocking him and get to the QB or the RB. He has good agility, some bull rush ability and good handwork to get off of blocks.

Next lets look at our defense and where we need help. We run a 3-4. The role of all 3 linemen in a 3-4 are to push the linemen back. They are run stuffers, and they are supposed to collapse the pocket. The players who play DE in this defense are not expected to get sacks (but sacks are always welcome). Their primary duty is to occupy space to clog running lanes, and/or to stop the run. The NTs job is very similar. DEs in a 3-4 are very similar in size to the DTs in a 4-3, and a NT in a 3-4 is supposed to be very large. The skill set desired in a 3-4 linemen is strength to push the opponents back. Agility and shedding blockers is not a skill that they are supposed to focus on.

On our DL we have Dorsey and TJ starting at the DE positions. Edwards is our NT. Right now the biggest need is at NT. Edwards is not a true NT. He is a converted DT. He is undersized and not strong enough to handle the double teams a NT should handle. Dorsey has done better than expected at DE. When he was gone, we got destroyed in the running game. TJ has not done great, but he is also a rookie, and there is a huge learning curve (2 seasons usually) for defensive linemen in the NFL. We do not need 3-4 DEs, we need a NT.

If we drafted Suh, what position would he play? NT? He is too small and doesnt have the brute strength to play there. 3-4 DE? He could probably play this position, but we already have one good DE (Dorsey) and someone we expect to become a good DE (T. Jackson). So by drafting Suh, we are basically drafting someone to replace two people we have a lot of money tied up in that are not playing horribly.

We have much bigger needs that we would be better off filling with that 1st pick.

Now, this is obviously just my opinion, but I could not help but share it given everyone's obsession with wanting Suh. Now I am not saying that he wont be a good player, or that he is not worth picking in the top 5. He is just not a good fit for our current team.

I'll be rooting for the Chiefs to draft an offensive lineman first and foremost, because IMO I too believe that should be our top priority in the draft. I could be wrong, but I don't think our Defense needs as much improvement as the stat's show, and as many believe.

I think the talent is already there on defense for the most part, and hopefully that talent will be revealed in 2010 with a new DC. I would like to see a couple additions made to our defense, but still don't see it as much of a priority to improve in the draft as the OL.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I'll be rooting for the Chiefs to draft an offensive lineman first and foremost, because IMO I too believe that should be our top priority in the draft. I could be wrong, but I don't think our Defense needs as much improvement as the stat's show, and as many believe.

I think the talent is already there on defense for the most part, and hopefully that talent will be revealed in 2010 with a new DC. I would like to see a couple additions made to our defense, but still don't see it as much of a priority to improve in the draft as the OL.

Agreed!

Could you teach my wife your football understanding??? j/k.

The only possible scenario that Suh will fall to us is if...

The Rams take Clausen #1 overall
    The Lions take Russel Okung #2 overall
    The Bucs take McCoy #3 overall
    The Redskins take either Berry or Sam Bradford #4 (let's assume they're happy with Campbell for now and they take Berry. BTW I'm one of the few that think they won't draft a QB in the first this year)

If this scenario rings true and the Redskins snag Berry and Okung is already gone by this point than who would we draft instead of Suh? Who would be worth the #5 overall money? If Suh is available by some miracle of god than I think it'd be tough for us to pass him up honestly. If somehow both Suh and Berry are available than my gut says to go with Berry, but even still we should consider Suh. Players like him don't come around very often. I'd hate to pass on him and than him turn out to be a hall of fame type player on another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Agreed!

Could you teach my wife your football understanding??? j/k.
    Shoot! It started in childhood! hahaha

I remember years ago when Tony Gonzalez offered classes to women during the off season...to teach them about football, hahaha. They always sold out the space available. I laughed, cause I can pretty much guarantee most of the women who paid for those classes weren't as much interested about learning the game as they were interested in learning about Tony!

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Shoot! It started in childhood! hahaha

I remember years ago when Tony Gonzalez offered classes to women during the off season...to teach them about football, hahaha. They always sold out the space available. I laughed, cause I can pretty much guarantee most of the women who paid for those classes weren't as much interested about learning the game as they were interested in learning about Tony!

Tammie did you go to that class?

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Tammie did you go to that class?
    Did she? hahahaha

I thought about signing up just for the fun of it...but I couldn't afford the fee. If memory is correct it was expensive! I remember the newsletter advertising the classes, saying Tony would have other Chiefs players stopping in from time to time helping him teach different aspects of the game. At the end of the course they were to have a 'graduation dinner', of which Tony hosted too, as part of the fee. It sounded like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by endzonewillie View Post
    If we can secure any of the top 5 for our line it would mean an immediate upgrade to our Oline. I was very surprised to see 3 Bryan Bulaga because he is only a Jr but his play was outstanding this past season as Iowa had 2 true freshmen at RB and they were basically a running team.
    I agree that we need to pick up a couple good O-Linemen at some point in the draft, but, I just don't think that any of the available tackles are worth the 5th pick overall, there just isn't a can't miss prospect out there. Okung isn't significantly better than the rest in my opinion. I'm a big Iowa fan and student so I've seen alot of Bryan Bulaga, love the guy and I think he would make a great Chief, but I would be very upset if we took him 5th overall. If we trade back to a later first and he's still available then by all means grab him. He's a guy who would have benefitted a lot from staying for a senior season. He missed 3 games in a row this season due to a thyroid problem and wasn't at full strength for much of the season. He's still really young, a true Junior (just 20 years old) and still somewhat raw. He's a guy who would likely have had a stellar season and been a top pick if he stayed another year (barring injury), as it is he's still somewhat of a project but has a very high ceiling. With a little work he could well become a top left tackle but I think it will take some developement before he's a true impact player. He'd be great value later in the first though.
    Last edited by Everest; 01-25-2010 at 08:22 PM.

I think we take a #5, the best player on the board. If Suh is there, you draft him, best scenario if he is there, we get a draft day trade for need, and a additional pick. If not we take him, and build our defense with him involved. You can constantly draft the best players, and go after free agents to fit what your plan is, and fail. If you are willing to adapt to personel you have, and aquire, then you can be great. You take playmakers! You Coach and develope your team and how you play with the talent you bring to training camp. Why do we have play a 3-4 defense? Who says that is what we will do next season? What do we really know. We have not had a true DC or OC, this last season! Most likely we will stay with the 3-4 and Suh will be gone before we are on the clock. I like some of the other potential draft choices also.There has been some vids posted of players that I know nothing about.
    I am from Nebraska and a huge Suh Fan, I have stated that before, you all know that. I think he will be able to play where ever he needs to play at, what ever position, I really think we should consider a Dorsey trade for picks, if that means we can draft Suh! I have some concerns about Dorsey's longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I think we take a #5, the best player on the board. If Suh is there, you draft him, best scenario if he is there, we get a draft day trade for need, and a additional pick. If not we take him, and build our defense with him involved. You can constantly draft the best players, and go after free agents to fit what your plan is, and fail. If you are willing to adapt to personel you have, and aquire, then you can be great. You take playmakers! You Coach and develope your team and how you play with the talent you bring to training camp. Why do we have play a 3-4 defense? Who says that is what we will do next season? What do we really know. We have not had a true DC or OC, this last season! Most likely we will stay with the 3-4 and Suh will be gone before we are on the clock. I like some of the other potential draft choices also.There has been some vids posted of players that I know nothing about.
    I am from Nebraska and a huge Suh Fan, I have stated that before, you all know that. I think he will be able to play where ever he needs to play at, what ever position, I really think we should consider a Dorsey trade for picks, if that means we can draft Suh! I have some concerns about Dorsey's longevity.
    Suh is a DE, how many times do we need to pick up a DE with our first pick before the job is done? He is definately a solid player , I have watched a few Cornhusker games and he is a guy that can take over a game at the college level. I think in the right position he could be a dynamic LB that can also drop to a 3 point stance and play DE but in no way could he be a NT. The team needs to many different things to take the best deal on the shelf but with Pioli in charge it's hard to say.
    Chiefs Nation

We need to take an OL with our 1st pick no matter what. Our D has already improved by alot, We got a B@d@ss D cord. remember.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast