Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

Default Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

I have heard many people in here say that they want us to pick Suh, if he was available. Some even want us to trade to an earlier pick to get him. I dont think he will be a good fit for the team because he fills a position that is already filled. Bear with me, it is a long post because I want to explain my thoughts in detail.

Yes, I know our defensive line is no where near the best in the league. However, just putting any good player is not going to improve the DL.

First, we need to look at what skill set Suh brings to us. He is a great defensive tackle in the 4-3 that he has played in. He is a little on the small side and has spent some time playing as a DE in special packages in a 4-3. His role in that defense was to get past the person(s) blocking him and get to the QB or the RB. He has good agility, some bull rush ability and good handwork to get off of blocks.

Next lets look at our defense and where we need help. We run a 3-4. The role of all 3 linemen in a 3-4 are to push the linemen back. They are run stuffers, and they are supposed to collapse the pocket. The players who play DE in this defense are not expected to get sacks (but sacks are always welcome). Their primary duty is to occupy space to clog running lanes, and/or to stop the run. The NTs job is very similar. DEs in a 3-4 are very similar in size to the DTs in a 4-3, and a NT in a 3-4 is supposed to be very large. The skill set desired in a 3-4 linemen is strength to push the opponents back. Agility and shedding blockers is not a skill that they are supposed to focus on.

On our DL we have Dorsey and TJ starting at the DE positions. Edwards is our NT. Right now the biggest need is at NT. Edwards is not a true NT. He is a converted DT. He is undersized and not strong enough to handle the double teams a NT should handle. Dorsey has done better than expected at DE. When he was gone, we got destroyed in the running game. TJ has not done great, but he is also a rookie, and there is a huge learning curve (2 seasons usually) for defensive linemen in the NFL. We do not need 3-4 DEs, we need a NT.

If we drafted Suh, what position would he play? NT? He is too small and doesnt have the brute strength to play there. 3-4 DE? He could probably play this position, but we already have one good DE (Dorsey) and someone we expect to become a good DE (T. Jackson). So by drafting Suh, we are basically drafting someone to replace two people we have a lot of money tied up in that are not playing horribly.

We have much bigger needs that we would be better off filling with that 1st pick.

Now, this is obviously just my opinion, but I could not help but share it given everyone's obsession with wanting Suh. Now I am not saying that he wont be a good player, or that he is not worth picking in the top 5. He is just not a good fit for our current team.

My thoughts exactly +rep

Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

I really don't see how Suh could be a bad choice for anybody. He is a once in a decade type of player (imo) and we would have to build our defense around the guy. I mean c'mon our D finished ranked 30th in the league last season so any major change (ie 4-3 or relagating Jackson or Dorsey as a backup) certainly couldn't make this D any worse. So if Suh fell to 5 I would definetly have to take him. But no matter - he'll be gone.
    SHUT IT

Let me start out by saying I'm not a fan of drafting Suh. That being said, anyone who is under estimating his ability is being foolish. If you have watched him play more than once, you have to realize that he is very strong and I'm having a hard time recalling a DT coming out that could use their hands as well as he does.
    They would also have to realize he would be a monster at DE in a 3-4, both as a run stopper and pass rusher.
    It is true that he is not the size of your normal NT, but you do realize that the cowgirls play a pretty good 3-4 with a undersized NT(Ratledge). To say he wouldn't be a good NT would be foolish, let's just say he would play the position a little different.

About a 1% chance he's still around by pick #5, IMO.

He's not the first guy that I hope we take, but he would definitely be better than Edwards as a converted NT. The guy knows how to play and he would have a positive effect on the line. I don't think there is anyway the Rams take him though.

I don't even know why Suh is in the discussion. There is literally a 0% chance we even have an opportunity to draft him.

1. Rams - Clausen
    2. Lions - Suh
    3. Bucs - McCoy
    4. Redskins - Bradford

1. Rams - Suh
    2. Lions - McCoy/Okung
    3. Bucs - McCoy/Berry
    4. Redskins - Clausen/Bradford

Those are the two most likely scenarios. Neither of them involves Suh being remotely possible for us.

If we draft Suh, he becomes Glenn Dorsey. Nothing exciting, not a NT. If he's available, awesome! We can trade down easily!
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    He's not the first guy that I hope we take, but he would definitely be better than Edwards as a converted NT. The guy knows how to play and he would have a positive effect on the line. I don't think there is anyway the Rams take him though.
    Oops, I mean, I don't think there is anyway the Rams pass him up.

I think Suh could play NT in the right 3-4 scheme, but not in a traditional 2 gap scheme. Jay Ratliff is the Cowboys NT (#2 ranked defense this year), and he's 6'4" 302. They run a 1 gap defense though, so he doesn't line up directly over the center like the NT in Coach Romeo's system does.

I really expect us to make a move for Terrence Cody in the 2nd round or trade back late into the 1st round.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast