Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

Default Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

I have heard many people in here say that they want us to pick Suh, if he was available. Some even want us to trade to an earlier pick to get him. I dont think he will be a good fit for the team because he fills a position that is already filled. Bear with me, it is a long post because I want to explain my thoughts in detail.

Yes, I know our defensive line is no where near the best in the league. However, just putting any good player is not going to improve the DL.

First, we need to look at what skill set Suh brings to us. He is a great defensive tackle in the 4-3 that he has played in. He is a little on the small side and has spent some time playing as a DE in special packages in a 4-3. His role in that defense was to get past the person(s) blocking him and get to the QB or the RB. He has good agility, some bull rush ability and good handwork to get off of blocks.

Next lets look at our defense and where we need help. We run a 3-4. The role of all 3 linemen in a 3-4 are to push the linemen back. They are run stuffers, and they are supposed to collapse the pocket. The players who play DE in this defense are not expected to get sacks (but sacks are always welcome). Their primary duty is to occupy space to clog running lanes, and/or to stop the run. The NTs job is very similar. DEs in a 3-4 are very similar in size to the DTs in a 4-3, and a NT in a 3-4 is supposed to be very large. The skill set desired in a 3-4 linemen is strength to push the opponents back. Agility and shedding blockers is not a skill that they are supposed to focus on.

On our DL we have Dorsey and TJ starting at the DE positions. Edwards is our NT. Right now the biggest need is at NT. Edwards is not a true NT. He is a converted DT. He is undersized and not strong enough to handle the double teams a NT should handle. Dorsey has done better than expected at DE. When he was gone, we got destroyed in the running game. TJ has not done great, but he is also a rookie, and there is a huge learning curve (2 seasons usually) for defensive linemen in the NFL. We do not need 3-4 DEs, we need a NT.

If we drafted Suh, what position would he play? NT? He is too small and doesnt have the brute strength to play there. 3-4 DE? He could probably play this position, but we already have one good DE (Dorsey) and someone we expect to become a good DE (T. Jackson). So by drafting Suh, we are basically drafting someone to replace two people we have a lot of money tied up in that are not playing horribly.

We have much bigger needs that we would be better off filling with that 1st pick.

Now, this is obviously just my opinion, but I could not help but share it given everyone's obsession with wanting Suh. Now I am not saying that he wont be a good player, or that he is not worth picking in the top 5. He is just not a good fit for our current team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazeye View Post
    We need to take an OL with our 1st pick no matter what. Our D has already improved by alot, We got a B@d@ss D cord. remember.
    I am with you on this , we need to pick up a stud LT so Albert can go back to playing RG which is what he played in college.
    Chiefs Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Shoot! It started in childhood! hahaha

I remember years ago when Tony Gonzalez offered classes to women during the off season...to teach them about football, hahaha. They always sold out the space available. I laughed, cause I can pretty much guarantee most of the women who paid for those classes weren't as much interested about learning the game as they were interested in learning about Tony!

It's a good thing my wife didn't know about those classes.

What else can I say about suh except that he will be the nfl mvp within 3yrs. Simply the best defensive player to come out college in the past 10 yrs. Scratch that the best play to come out since payton Manning. Whether you like it or not the chiefs will have him the # 1 rated player in the draft and would jump at the chance to draft suh. If Detroit calls about. Dorsey expect to see suh in a chiefs uniform.

well first off he wont ever be availably to us. so another pointless thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of this is ridiculous.

First of all - Detroit wouldn't call about Dorsey unless Suh went #1 overall. Why would you trade for Dorsey when you could just draft Suh?

If Suh is off the board, why trade Dorsey? Unless you can get a first round pick for him, but then we'd have to wait until 2011.

Secondly, I know he is a very good player, but he has done exactly NOTHING in the NFL. Defensive tackle is hardly known for having quick transitions to the pro level.

If suh is available, that means that at least one quarterback, eric berry, okung, and probably a pass rusher have been drafted. Our best bet would be to trade down, and someone would likely move up for him.

The only way we draft Suh is if we intend on moving back to a 4-3 defense, which would be fine, considering we don't have a plethora of good linebackers, and Vrabel is a free agent. of course, hiring Romeo Crennel pretty much negates that possibility entirely, so again, I have to say that there is a less than 1% chance Suh falls to us, and a less than 1% chance that we would actually draft him if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post

First of all - Detroit wouldn't call about Dorsey unless Suh went #1 overall. Why would you trade for Dorsey when you could just draft Suh?

If Suh is off the board, why trade Dorsey? Unless you can get a first round pick for him, but then we'd have to wait until 2011.

Secondly, I know he is a very good player, but he has done exactly NOTHING in the NFL. Defensive tackle is hardly known for having quick transitions to the pro level.

If suh is available, that means that at least one quarterback, eric berry, okung, and probably a pass rusher have been drafted. Our best bet would be to trade down, and someone would likely move up for him.

The only way we draft Suh is if we intend on moving back to a 4-3 defense, which would be fine, considering we don't have a plethora of good linebackers, and Vrabel is a free agent. of course, hiring Romeo Crennel pretty much negates that possibility entirely, so again, I have to say that there is a less than 1% chance Suh falls to us, and a less than 1% chance that we would actually draft him if that happened.
    "The cadets logic is sound."

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post

all good points. I think Dorsey is not going anywere and all this is just people spreading rumor.

IMO the Rams will not draft Suh. Although they don't have super stars at DT, it is one of their stronger positions. The Rams will draftt a QB.
    Detroit will draft Suh and the Bucs draft McCoy. Then the Browns draft Berry.
    That leaves the Chiefs with a choice of okung or McClain. Okung is a mauler and might not be the right fit for our zone blocking scheme.
    With Pioli's history in the draft and that Crennel likes having a LB run the defense, IMO the Chieffs pick McClain.

I agree, we shouldn't get Suh. He's great in college, but so are alot of guys off the line. We can pick up a NT in the 2nd round and he'd still be double blocked if he was big enough. I think we should go after a OLB because our LB's are a bit on the old side and they could teach the younger guys. That's just me though.

Don't forget that if Suh is the best college DT of the decade, Dorsey is certainly the 2nd best.. and he's not exactly adding wins to the record himself.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast