Thread: My CHIEFS mock 3.0

Default My CHIEFS mock 3.0

My CHIEFS mock 3.0 (February 2nd)

First Round:
    1. Rams- DT-Suh
    2. Lions- OT-Okung
    3. Bucs- S-Eric Berry
    4. Redskins- QB-Bradford
    5. CHIEFS- ILB- Rolando McClain (previous pick: SAME)

Second Round:
    36. CHIEFS- NT-Terrance Cody (previous pick: TE- JERMAINE GRESHAM *won't be available)
    50. CHIEFS (From Atlanta)-DE/OLB Brandon Graham (previous pick: OT KYLE CALLOWAY)

Third Round:
    68. CHIEFS- WR-Jordan Shipley (previous pick: SAME)

Fourth Round-
    99. CHIEFS- S-Myron Rolle (previous pick: SERGIO KINDLE *won't be available)

Fifth Round-
    133. CHIEFS-RB-LaGarret Blount (previous pick: SAME)
    139. CHIEFS (From Miami)-QB-Jevan Snead (previous pick: MYRON ROLLE *wont be available)
    145. CHIEFS (From Carolina)OG- Eric Olsen (previous pick: SAME)

Sixth Round-
    164. CHIEFS-OG-Brandon Carter (previous pick: SAME)

1. Rolando McClain- ILB (Alabama)
    It's obvious that the Chiefs at the VERY LEAST need one more ILB whether they keep Derrick Johnson or not. I'd like to see Johnson stay and team up with McClain in the middle. Linebackers were not a source of strength for the Chiefs this season and if Suh and Berry are off the board at #5, the best option available for the Chiefs would be McClain. I'm usually all for upgrading the Oline, but there just isn't that OT available at #5 that would be worth the pick. McClain is a better ILB prospect than Curry was last season and he's a born defensive leader... something this defense DESPERATELY needs. Vrabel may not even be back for next season and even if he is, he won't be here much longer. McClain is the best pick here assuming Suh or Berry do not fall.

2A. Terrance Cody- NT (Alabama) This pick is assuming we don't get Wilfork. I think the Patriots are the only other team who might pick Cody in the first round because he's not worth a high first round draft pick and the Patriots are the only team (who would be in need of a NT if they lose Wilfork) who would pick Cody before he falls to the Chiefs in the 2nd round. If things work out right, we'll have a chance at either Wilfork or Cody.

2B. Brandon Graham- OLB/DE (Michigan)
    This should be the pick IF AND ONLY IF we've addressed the O-line during FA. Graham would be a nice piece on the end opposite Hali. Graham, Hali, McClain, and DJ (if he stays) would be an impressive LB corp.

3. Jordan Shipley- WR (Texas)
    If he is available, this is ALSO a no-brain decision. A PERFECT slot receiver. Sure handed, fast, quick, reliable... everything you could possibly want from a slot receiver. If this is going to be New England 2.0, consider Shipley, Welker 2.0.

4. Myron Rolle- S (Florida St.)
    Could fall. If he had gone into the draft in 2009, he could've been a 2nd round pick. However, he became the Rhodes Scholar and took the year off from football. By FAR the smartest guy in the draft. The Chiefs need help at the Safety position. He's strong, fast, and physical to go along with the smarts. If Pioli gets the feeling that Rolle will still be available in the 4th round, he may even pass on Berry if he's available at #5. The combo of McClain/Rolle would be superior to any combo of Berry/4th rd ILB (Unless Spikes is available... which he won't be). It was reported that the Chiefs had interest in him at the Senior Bowl. I think this shows the Chiefs either don't expect Berry to be available in the first or aren't going to take him at #5 overall.

5A. LaGarret Blount- RB (Oregon)
    A fifth round gamble on a player who was projected to be a first round pick before character issues became relevant. The NFL has seemed to require a change of pace in the backfield. Currently, the Chiefs have the lightning... Blount would bring the Thunder. Another player the Chiefs had interest in at the Senior Bowl.

5B. Jevan Snead- QB (Ole Miss)
    After a poor Junior season, Snead STILL declared for the draft. I think it was a poor decision for him, but a great decision for the Chiefs' chances at landing him. He went into 2009 as a contender to be the first QB taken in 2010. He played in a pro system in college and could be a GREAT sleeper pick for the Chiefs. Since the Chiefs already have a "franchise QB" there is no need to rush him to be a starter. I think you could groom this guy like an Aaron Rogers or a Kevin Kolb or even a Matt Shaub. This pick would be a MAJOR coup for the Chiefs if they could land him in the 5th round. We already know Pioli is looking at QBs. We also know he prides himself on finding late round QBs. Taking Snead in the 5th isn't out of the question if he's still available.

5C. Eric Olsen- OG (Notre Dame)
    The Chiefs need help on the Oline. Instead of grabbing a sure-fire starting CENTER in the early rounds, the Chiefs could move Waters inside to Center and find starting guards in the 5th and 6th rounds. Eric Olsen at 6'5, 305. Has a reputation of being mean and aggressive. Played his junior year at Center and his senior year at LG. He could start at RG for the Chiefs next season.

6. Brandon Carter- (Texas Tech)
    A 2008 first team All-American. He played OT, but will probably play OG at the next level. He would start IMMEDIATELY at LG next to Albert. This kid is one of the nastiest players in America. After having some nice guys on the line like Shields and Waters, it might be interesting to have a few guys on this line who would kick your mother in the mouth to gain a yard.

Some dont take that news so easily...ive tried. I agree 100% though. This is a mediocre class for Tackles and he is just at the top. Hardly elite

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Have any of y'all actually seen Okung play?!! He's NOT an elite LT like the ones that have been taken in the top 10 over the past few years. If he were in the draft last year or the year before, he'd be a mid to late first round pick... maybe even a 2nd rounder. He's just the least smelly turd in a poor LT class this year. Albert is a better LT than Okung. Okung is clumsy and slow in pass protection. He's another product of a spread offense. Did y'all see OSU run the ball at all this year? no... that's not their offense.

Okung is a trap and I hope Pioli is smart enough not to fall into it.

I honestly think(and hope) Pioli might go for Dan Williams looking at how they built the Pats, and how desperately we need a NT...He is no more of a reach than anyone else at this spot and he proved it at the senior bowl...we cant take our DEF to the next level without a dominating NT. Waiting any longer past this season to get one will only hurt and hamper the growth of our D.

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    I honestly think(and hope) Pioli might go for Dan Williams looking at how they built the Pats, and how desperately we need a NT...He is no more of a reach than anyone else at this spot and he proved it at the senior bowl...we cant take our DEF to the next level without a dominating NT. Waiting any longer past this season to get one will only hurt and hamper the growth of our D.
    I've been thinking along those same lines. I can't see Pioli overpaying for anyone and the NT that wwill be available will be exspensive.
    On another thought, if the Chiefs don't resign Chambers ( and Chambers will be a risk signing to a long term contract. He did go in the tank after signing with SD)
    Dez Bryant could be another option, although I don;t think Pioli will sign a WR that high.

I actually hope Dan Williams has a monster combine and flies up the boards, because NT would be my ideal pick at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I actually hope Dan Williams has a monster combine and flies up the boards, because NT would be my ideal pick at 5.
    If you're getting a good player that fills you're no1 need I don't think it's to much of a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    Ive been thinking that I wouldnt hate drafting Dan Williams in the 1st and picking up someone older like Casey Hampton to mentor Dan Williams for a few years. But only if Hampton doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Also, Cam Thomas has piqued my interest. He did great at the Sr. Bowl and people having him moving up into the early 3rd round. We'll see how he does in the Combine.

If the Chiefs can't get Shipley in the 3rd, I think Mardy Gilyard could be a good player at the next level. Team leader, with the ability to play KR and WR.

Gilyard scares me. He's a little light in the @ss and not quick enough in my opinion to make up for it... like a Dante Hall for example. If Shipley isn't there in the 3rd round, I think we should look at the O-line or perhaps the best player available.

As far as NT in the first goes... there ABSOLUTELY won't be one worth paying top 5 money in this draft. So, unless we trade down from #5 or up from our early 2nd, we're not gonna take a NT.

I agree about Gilyard. He doesn't strike me as a run across the middle of the field with no worries about throwing his body into a linebacker type of player. I like Lance Long better as a slot guy than I do Gilyard.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    As far as NT in the first goes... there ABSOLUTELY won't be one worth paying top 5 money in this draft. So, unless we trade down from #5 or up from our early 2nd, we're not gonna take a NT.
    Last year, everyone said that T. Jackson was not worth top 5 money, too. This administration does not seem to care as much about where they draft as getting quality players at key positions.

I wouldnt be too sure that they wont go after a NT with the top 5 pick.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast