Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: early draft trade rumors... dealin with Detroit?

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default early draft trade rumors... dealin with Detroit?


    0 Not allowed!
    So the trade scenario i've recently seen being bandied about on the interweb is what if Detroit called up and offered to switch picks in the first round (their second for our fifth overall) and their second or third rounder for Glenn Dorsey, and maybe a late round pick or switch. For discussion let's just assume the best case scenario, i.e. first round switch and the lions second round pick (34th overall) for Dorsey.

    Regardless of the specific details, the basics of the trade seem to make sense for Detroit if St. Louis decides to draft a quarterback. Then the lions offers us Suh in exchange for Gunther's old guy Dorsey, and the lions trade down expecting to grab Okung to replace the often inconsistent and injured jeff backus at LT. The upside for us would be we grab many people's highest rated player in this draft, and retain the 34th, 36th, and 50th overall picks.

    This is a potentially attractive proposition, and I admit there are draft scenarios that could play out where I would consider this a given (for instance, Suh becomes a life-long chief and hall-of-famer, and somehow we manage to pick up Mike Iupati, Terrance Cody, and Brandon Spikes or Taylor Mays in the second round). The problem is there are simply no guarantees about these later picks and ultimately we would be rolling the dice to replace Dorsey with Suh. We would be plugging in Suh as a 3-4 D-end and hoping he transitions well, whereas Dorsey already made the transition quite well and showed the potential to become a cornerstone of this defense for years to come.

    The beauty of this rumor is that it we can't know whether or not its realistic until the minute we know what St. Louis does with the first pick, so it could a topic of argument amongst Dorsey-loving/Dorsey-hating chiefs fans for quite awhile. So what does everyone think?

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Neosho, Mo.
    Posts
    208
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy909 View Post
    So the trade scenario i've recently seen being bandied about on the interweb is what if Detroit called up and offered to switch picks in the first round (their second for our fifth overall) and their second or third rounder for Glenn Dorsey, and maybe a late round pick or switch. For discussion let's just assume the best case scenario, i.e. first round switch and the lions second round pick (34th overall) for Dorsey.

    Regardless of the specific details, the basics of the trade seem to make sense for Detroit if St. Louis decides to draft a quarterback. Then the lions offers us Suh in exchange for Gunther's old guy Dorsey, and the lions trade down expecting to grab Okung to replace the often inconsistent and injured jeff backus at LT. The upside for us would be we grab many people's highest rated player in this draft, and retain the 34th, 36th, and 50th overall picks.

    This is a potentially attractive proposition, and I admit there are draft scenarios that could play out where I would consider this a given (for instance, Suh becomes a life-long chief and hall-of-famer, and somehow we manage to pick up Mike Iupati, Terrance Cody, and Brandon Spikes or Taylor Mays in the second round). The problem is there are simply no guarantees about these later picks and ultimately we would be rolling the dice to replace Dorsey with Suh. We would be plugging in Suh as a 3-4 D-end and hoping he transitions well, whereas Dorsey already made the transition quite well and showed the potential to become a cornerstone of this defense for years to come.

    The beauty of this rumor is that it we can't know whether or not its realistic until the minute we know what St. Louis does with the first pick, so it could a topic of argument amongst Dorsey-loving/Dorsey-hating chiefs fans for quite awhile. So what does everyone think?
    I have to agree with you on this. I haven't though about moving up just us moving back, but if we get suh or berry and there second rounder for dorsey i'd take it. But this if we can get a new defensive end aka peppers. we get peppers opposite of tyson and possibly suh in the middle plus have three second round picks. i like it. but if it dosen't happen id be ok as long as we take care of our needs in draft and free agency and don't sit on our hands like we did with herm in control

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura, Ca.
    Posts
    2,605
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy909 View Post
    So the trade scenario i've recently seen being bandied about on the interweb is what if Detroit called up and offered to switch picks in the first round (their second for our fifth overall) and their second or third rounder for Glenn Dorsey, and maybe a late round pick or switch. For discussion let's just assume the best case scenario, i.e. first round switch and the lions second round pick (34th overall) for Dorsey.

    Regardless of the specific details, the basics of the trade seem to make sense for Detroit if St. Louis decides to draft a quarterback. Then the lions offers us Suh in exchange for Gunther's old guy Dorsey, and the lions trade down expecting to grab Okung to replace the often inconsistent and injured jeff backus at LT. The upside for us would be we grab many people's highest rated player in this draft, and retain the 34th, 36th, and 50th overall picks.

    This is a potentially attractive proposition, and I admit there are draft scenarios that could play out where I would consider this a given (for instance, Suh becomes a life-long chief and hall-of-famer, and somehow we manage to pick up Mike Iupati, Terrance Cody, and Brandon Spikes or Taylor Mays in the second round). The problem is there are simply no guarantees about these later picks and ultimately we would be rolling the dice to replace Dorsey with Suh. We would be plugging in Suh as a 3-4 D-end and hoping he transitions well, whereas Dorsey already made the transition quite well and showed the potential to become a cornerstone of this defense for years to come.

    The beauty of this rumor is that it we can't know whether or not its realistic until the minute we know what St. Louis does with the first pick, so it could a topic of argument amongst Dorsey-loving/Dorsey-hating chiefs fans for quite awhile. So what does everyone think?
    This makes sense if and ONLY if we don't think Dorsey is a good fit for us. I know a lot of things are said during the season, but the truth is that when Dorsey was out, we had some of our worse games on defense, so it stands to reason that management does see Dorsey as a difference maker.

    Now if the conventional wisdom is the Suh is an immediate upgrade over Dorsey in our 3-4 scheme, then I would see us going with it. Personally, I think the defense will be much improved next year with whatever players we do have because of the upgrades being made in coaching. I actually like Krumrie, but Pandergast was a horrible DC.

    I am just not sure that the Chiefs are going to be that interested in going after Suh, we have plenty of spots to fill and the cost to Detroit seems a little extreme for Dorsey.


    Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I am just not sure that the Chiefs are going to be that interested in going after Suh, we have plenty of spots to fill and the cost to Detroit seems a little extreme for Dorsey.
    I agree, I don't believe we would actually get this kind of optimal scenario. I also think that Dorsey really is a good fit in our scheme, so the idea of picking up Okung with the fifth pick might be too hard to pass on.

    I should point out the latest Walter football mock draft has the most desirable chiefs draft I have seen yet, it goes:

    Round 1: Okung (LT)
    Round 2a: Terrance Cody (NT). 2b: Maurkice Pouncey (G/C)
    Round 3: Sergio Kindle (OLB)
    Round 4: Larry Asante (SS)

    Talk about filling holes! I haven't completely made up my mind on this trade, and it will certainly change as the draft nears and the free-agency picture develops, but i gotta say, a starting Dline of Dorsey, Cody,Jackson, and a starting O-line something like Okung, Albert, Pouncey, Waters and O'Callahan seems be pretty solid.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Neosho, Mo.
    Posts
    208
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy909 View Post
    I agree, I don't believe we would actually get this kind of optimal scenario. I also think that Dorsey really is a good fit in our scheme, so the idea of picking up Okung with the fifth pick might be too hard to pass on.

    I should point out the latest Walter football mock draft has the most desirable chiefs draft I have seen yet, it goes:

    Round 1: Okung (LT)
    Round 2a: Terrance Cody (NT). 2b: Maurkice Pouncey (G/C)
    Round 3: Sergio Kindle (OLB)
    Round 4: Larry Asante (SS)

    Talk about filling holes! I haven't completely made up my mind on this trade, and it will certainly change as the draft nears and the free-agency picture develops, but i gotta say, a starting Dline of Dorsey, Cody,Jackson, and a starting O-line something like Okung, Albert, Pouncey, Waters and O'Callahan seems be pretty solid.
    a second for cody would upset me i think he should go in the third second would be reaching for a fat dt and theres a difference in a big dt/nt and a fat d/nt look at ryan sims

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    There is a lot of risk involved with Cody... haha even with some analysts saying they are worried he will "eat himself out of the nfl", but in terms of potential he is the number one NT in this draft and could be a steal. Dominant run-stuffing, block-eating nose tackles are a rare thing of beauty in this league, and Cody could be just that. Plus the guy is a natural athlete even at his size. I watched him block two field goals against Tennessee to win that game. Plus with Haley's conditioning program I'm betting he could start the season at 345. Yes, it's a gamble, but I say roll the dice... that is, of course, unless we go after Wilfork in free-agency which I would be absolutely overjoyed to see.
    Last edited by sammyboy909; 02-10-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: messed up the weight for Cody

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    414
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    the only draft scenario i would like is to see us swap PICKS with detroit, and pick up their 17 overall i think (their 2nd of two first round choices) along with a 3rd or 4th rounder for our no.5 overall... this would give us an additional pick in the first 4 rounds, and would also put us in range to get Dan Williams in the middle of the firs round. He is the best NT in the draft, and if we can't find someone to get in there, this defense won't be anything special. We would then have 2 second round choices, 1 (or 2) third round choices, and 1 (or 2) fourth round choice.

    And we get to keep Dorsey : )

    That would give us a 3-4 defensive line that would be the best in the league on paper for many, many years. We can use our later round picks on OL, S, and WR's..pick up a RB late in the draft to spell J.Charles... along with our soft schedule for 2010-2011, we could be in line for a really good season boys : )

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,667
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 394
    Given: 75

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I think IF the rams dont take Suh and the Lions are willing to do this trade the Chiefs HAVE to do it. Suh has looked good and hes a player I think the chiefs would be better off haveing even if they do have to let go of dorsey. Suh would help the biggest need on Defense thats pass rush. Yes its a gamble takeing a unproven rookie but I think its a move the chiefs should do.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Manhattan, KS
    Posts
    573
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    the only draft scenario i would like is to see us swap PICKS with detroit, and pick up their 17 overall i think (their 2nd of two first round choices) along with a 3rd or 4th rounder for our no.5 overall... this would give us an additional pick in the first 4 rounds, and would also put us in range to get Dan Williams in the middle of the firs round. He is the best NT in the draft, and if we can't find someone to get in there, this defense won't be anything special. We would then have 2 second round choices, 1 (or 2) third round choices, and 1 (or 2) fourth round choice.

    And we get to keep Dorsey : )

    That would give us a 3-4 defensive line that would be the best in the league on paper for many, many years. We can use our later round picks on OL, S, and WR's..pick up a RB late in the draft to spell J.Charles... along with our soft schedule for 2010-2011, we could be in line for a really good season boys : )
    That's what I was thinking too. Could you imagine coming away with Suh, Williams, Weatherspoon and Kindle all in one draft? The defense would be set!

    We might be overvaluing Dorsey, but if we were able to come away with a pick swap and their 17th, my dream draft looks something like one of these two:

    1a (Detroit). Suh (DE) (McCoy if StL takes Suh)
    1b (Detroit). Williams (DT)
    2a. Weatherspoon (LB)
    2b. Pouncey (C)
    3. Kindle (LB)
    4. Eric Decker (WR)
    5. Robert Johnson (S)

    or maybe

    1a. Berry (S)
    1b. Bulaga (T)
    2a. Odrick (DE)
    2b. Cody (DT)
    3. Shipley (WR)
    4. Eric Olsen (C)
    5. Selvie (LB)

    and for a little KSU love, Joshua Moore at CB in the later rounds on both.

    Thanks Aussie!

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas city, MO
    Posts
    2,242
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I don't like Cody at all. He is not athletic, cannot cover the area between the tackles and is often beaten at the point of attack by one blocker.
    I can't remember where I read it but they wewre saying Suh had two knee operations while in college. If true you can exspect him to drop in the draft.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Would you like to see a Draft and Trade forum?
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 12:39 AM
  2. Crazy Draft Trade Idea!!!!!
    By balto in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM
  3. L.J. trade rumors
    By chief31 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 05:35 PM
  4. Early Free Agency's Rumors!!
    By kenny1937 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 03:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •