Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: early draft trade rumors... dealin with Detroit?

Default early draft trade rumors... dealin with Detroit?

So the trade scenario i've recently seen being bandied about on the interweb is what if Detroit called up and offered to switch picks in the first round (their second for our fifth overall) and their second or third rounder for Glenn Dorsey, and maybe a late round pick or switch. For discussion let's just assume the best case scenario, i.e. first round switch and the lions second round pick (34th overall) for Dorsey.

Regardless of the specific details, the basics of the trade seem to make sense for Detroit if St. Louis decides to draft a quarterback. Then the lions offers us Suh in exchange for Gunther's old guy Dorsey, and the lions trade down expecting to grab Okung to replace the often inconsistent and injured jeff backus at LT. The upside for us would be we grab many people's highest rated player in this draft, and retain the 34th, 36th, and 50th overall picks.

This is a potentially attractive proposition, and I admit there are draft scenarios that could play out where I would consider this a given (for instance, Suh becomes a life-long chief and hall-of-famer, and somehow we manage to pick up Mike Iupati, Terrance Cody, and Brandon Spikes or Taylor Mays in the second round). The problem is there are simply no guarantees about these later picks and ultimately we would be rolling the dice to replace Dorsey with Suh. We would be plugging in Suh as a 3-4 D-end and hoping he transitions well, whereas Dorsey already made the transition quite well and showed the potential to become a cornerstone of this defense for years to come.

The beauty of this rumor is that it we can't know whether or not its realistic until the minute we know what St. Louis does with the first pick, so it could a topic of argument amongst Dorsey-loving/Dorsey-hating chiefs fans for quite awhile. So what does everyone think?

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy909 View Post
    So the trade scenario i've recently seen being bandied about on the interweb is what if Detroit called up and offered to switch picks in the first round (their second for our fifth overall) and their second or third rounder for Glenn Dorsey, and maybe a late round pick or switch. For discussion let's just assume the best case scenario, i.e. first round switch and the lions second round pick (34th overall) for Dorsey.

Regardless of the specific details, the basics of the trade seem to make sense for Detroit if St. Louis decides to draft a quarterback. Then the lions offers us Suh in exchange for Gunther's old guy Dorsey, and the lions trade down expecting to grab Okung to replace the often inconsistent and injured jeff backus at LT. The upside for us would be we grab many people's highest rated player in this draft, and retain the 34th, 36th, and 50th overall picks.

This is a potentially attractive proposition, and I admit there are draft scenarios that could play out where I would consider this a given (for instance, Suh becomes a life-long chief and hall-of-famer, and somehow we manage to pick up Mike Iupati, Terrance Cody, and Brandon Spikes or Taylor Mays in the second round). The problem is there are simply no guarantees about these later picks and ultimately we would be rolling the dice to replace Dorsey with Suh. We would be plugging in Suh as a 3-4 D-end and hoping he transitions well, whereas Dorsey already made the transition quite well and showed the potential to become a cornerstone of this defense for years to come.

The beauty of this rumor is that it we can't know whether or not its realistic until the minute we know what St. Louis does with the first pick, so it could a topic of argument amongst Dorsey-loving/Dorsey-hating chiefs fans for quite awhile. So what does everyone think?
    I don't see Detroit giving up all of those picks for Dorsey! Even Matt Millen is not that stupid! I say we could probably get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd and 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by rammstein View Post
    I don't see Detroit giving up all of those picks for Dorsey! Even Matt Millen is not that stupid! I say we could probably get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd and 5th.
    Matt Millen isn't there anymore. I agree that some of us are over-valuing Dorsey's trade value. We're better off keeping him.

i think if the Saints traded for Dorsey (and give us Jamaal) then it wouldnt be fair to the rest of the league. I rememebr going into that draft, i was almost certain Dorsey was not going to be available for the Chiefs at no.4 or wherever we picked. I was ready to celebrate if we would have gone with Sedrick Ellis at that point, but Dorsey fell to us and i was even more happy.

Put BOTH together and you got some serious unfairness to opposing teams lol. especially with Brees on the other side

LOVE the saints man, ive been a huge fan ever since post katrina when they beat ATL....so not very long lol but before they were champs!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234