Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nose Tackle, 2010

Default The Nose Tackle, 2010

So who will play the nose for us? I think it is our biggest question going into next season. Lots of fans are itching for Vince Wilfork to come down, but i don't see it happening. Which means we are either going to have to find someone else via the draft, or look elsewhere in free agency...Does anyone know which free agent nose tackles will be available yet?

What about prospects in the draft class coming up? I know Dan Williams from TENN is supposedly the best NT in the upcoming draft which is apparently deep in defensive tackles. He is projected right around the middle of the first round, and has been impressive in the senior outings and such. So expect his stock to stay or even climb from here on out...

more than a dozen DL are expected to go in the first 3 rounds this year, almost twice as much as an average draft. So there should be some capable NT's...my question... who are the guys projected in the first couple rounds that can play the nose?

Cam Thomas is a guy Mike Mayock compared to NE's Ron Brace (whom i think Pioli drafted in the 3rd round in his last year there)..he is capable if playing 3-4 Nose, and 4-3 DT. Mayock said he was extremely impressed with this guy (and if there is anyone i trust in college football prospects, it is Mike Mayock) so i wouldn't be surprised to see Pioli go after him...

Well there are a number of defensive tackles in Free Agency this year.

Obviously Willfork is one of the biggest since he works in a 3-4 this would tend to be the best choice for the Chiefs.

Richard Seymour, but I always saw him as more of a 4-3 type tackle. I don't think he has the size to play nose tackle and would be better suited as a DE in a 3-4

Aubrayo Franklin - San Francisco

This guy might be a good pick up, he has done pretty well in San Francisco so we will see. We could do a lot worse and he is definately an upgrade over the guys we have.

There are others, Casey Hampton, Ryan Pickett, and Tony Brown, but those guys are likely to bring more money than they are worth.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post

Obviously Willfork is one of the biggest since he works in a 3-4 this would tend to be the best choice for the Chiefs.

Richard Seymour, but I always saw him as more of a 4-3 type tackle. I don't think he has the size to play nose tackle and would be better suited as a DE in a 3-4

This guy might be a good pick up, he has done pretty well in San Francisco so we will see. We could do a lot worse and he is definately an upgrade over the guys we have.

There are others, Casey Hampton, Ryan Pickett, and Tony Brown, but those guys are likely to bring more money than they are worth.
    Seymour is a guy that I would want. He played realy well on that Horrible Oakland team at times. I would love to see him with an arrowhead on his helment. I think he could be used in some way in the 4-3

Not to mention He does have that New England connection. Maybe it could happen but I dont think its a strong chance.

Seymour aint comin to KC guys...

Hampton would be a good choice. He has been playing NT in the premier 3-4 defense for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post

He was on my radar too until I saw this Sources: San Francisco 49ers to franchise defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin at $7 million - ESPN

Resident Celebrity

My guess is Casey Hampton. Wilfork isn't getting off clean, he's going to be expensive both in terms of salary and pick/player compensation. The Steelers on the other hand are getting older all around their defense and Hampton isn't an exception. I see them entering somewhat of a rebuilding mode and letting him go. I bet they'll be targeting Dan Williams in the first round as a replacement too.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    My guess is Casey Hampton. Wilfork isn't getting off clean, he's going to be expensive both in terms of salary and pick/player compensation. The Steelers on the other hand are getting older all around their defense and Hampton isn't an exception. I see them entering somewhat of a rebuilding mode and letting him go. I bet they'll be targeting Dan Williams in the first round as a replacement too.
    Id love to see us pick up Casey Hampton and draft a young NT in the 3rd round. Maybe Cam Thomas will still be available in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Id love to see us pick up Casey Hampton and draft a young NT in the 3rd round. Maybe Cam Thomas will still be available in the 3rd.
    Me too, and I like Thomas as well.

Here's a list from Walter Football and whaddaya know Hampton, Wilfork and Franklin are the top three listed.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010DT.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast