Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joey Porter released

Default Joey Porter released

I'm just saying, he's a veteran 3-4 OLB with pass rushing ability.

He had 20 mil guaranteed, and he wants to start. Somehow, I don't think he would mesh too well with the coaches, though.

attitude is very different than being a team cancer. You dont hear anyone complaining about Ray Lewis and his attitude do you? and he was on trial for murder.

Porter is younger, more athletic, and more aggressive than Vrabel. We could seriously use him to help rush passer for anoher 3, maybe 4 years. I would LOVE to have Joey Porter on my fave team.

Joey if your reading this, come to KC and i will personally buy you a beer. or two maybe.

Yep, I hope he ends up in the red and yellow. Peppers might be the defensive prize this year, but I see Porter as a better fit. He'd be cheaper, he's a KC native, he's got a Pioli connection via Parcells, and he'd bring some desperately needed attitude to the defense.

If we go after a big name defensive free agent, I hope it's Dansby.

If our defense looked something like:
    Carr, Draft P.(Berry, Allen, Stuckey), Brown, Flowers
    Hali, DJ, Dansby, Porter
    Jackson, Draft P. (Williams, Cody), Dorsey

I'd be pretty stoked. Dansby seems like a huge long shot though, so if not him, definately McClain. If Pollard was still around I'd be really excited.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Yep, I hope he ends up in the red and yellow. Peppers might be the defensive prize this year, but I see Porter as a better fit. He'd be cheaper, he's a KC native, he's got a Pioli connection via Parcells, and he'd bring some desperately needed attitude to the defense.

Hali, DJ, Dansby, Porter

I'd be pretty stoked. Dansby seems like a huge long shot though, so if not him, definately McClain. If Pollard was still around I'd be really excited.
    brown will not be around he has nothing left in the tank besides catching couple tiped passes. gotta look at it as page will be a starter id love to have porter and dansby will see when it all begins

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post

Hali, DJ, Dansby, Porter

I like Dansby too but he's going to command some SERIOUS money. Some team is going to drastically overpay a la Bart Scott last year.

Dansby will be overpaid for sure, but I am not altogether against overpaying for a middle linebacker.

My reasoning is this - when you overpay for a wide receiver or a cornerback, the skill set can diminish at such a rapid pace that you essentially have dead money even with the player on the field.

At middle linebacker, a drop in speed doesn't equal the same production loss as it does at other skill positions. It's kind of like buying a full-sized pickup vs an Italian sports car.

The pick-up will last you for fifteen years. you can change the transmission, have extensive body damage, but it will still haul your payload. Once your porsche loses that finely-tuned suspension system, it is no longer a Porche.

I would like either peppers or porter. They both could come in help young players and help with the pass rush. That would make the whole defense better by itself. If we get a passrush our secoundary wont look so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I like Dansby too but he's going to command some SERIOUS money. Some team is going to drastically overpay a la Bart Scott last year.
    Yep, thats what I was getting at, but due to the Arizona connection, anything could happen.

Thanks Aussie!

I'm not sure I want another old lb. We went out last season and grabbed an old lb(Z.Thomas) that didn't do anything for our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobcrack View Post
    I'm not sure I want another old lb. We went out last season and grabbed an old lb(Z.Thomas) that didn't do anything for our team.
    I think that Peppers and Porter have more left in the tank they Thomas did last year. I think if i recall right Thomas was also comeing off a injury I think this would be a better signing then Thomas was a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I would like either peppers or porter. They both could come in help young players and help with the pass rush. That would make the whole defense better by itself. If we get a passrush our secoundary wont look so bad.
    At the start of the next NFL season Joey Porter will be 33 years old.

Julius Peppers will be 30.

Just for the sake of comparison, Mike Vrabel was 34 to start the '09 season.

How many years would we expect to get from Porter, starting at 33?

Seems like he would just be an aging vet, brought in the plug a leak for a season, two at the most. Likely, with diminishing returns.

Peppers may be "on the back nine". But I would venture to expect to get three years from him. That's long enough to get our team to what our staff expects them to be.

Then, Peppers would be turning 33. The same age as Porter is, right now.

If we are looking for a part of our champinoship team a couple seasons from now, then I think the guy who is more likely to still be playing then would be the better choice.

But, if we are looking to stop the bleeding at one position until we do get our guy, then Porter would be the better choice.

For me, if we can get Peppers, that fills (Baring unforseen circumstances) the position, as opposed to holding over the hole at that position.

Not to mention that Peppers has been a far superior player than Porter, career-wise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast