Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting the Jared Allen Trade

Default Revisiting the Jared Allen Trade

So here is an article by ESPN's Bill Willaimson about how we didnt necessarily lose in the Jared Allen trade.

Revisiting the Jared Allen trade - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Here is a rebuttal from the Vikings perspective.

Two years later: The Jared Allen trade - NFC North Blog - ESPN

I am sure this will incite a lot of thoughts. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Nice read and subject! REP!! :)
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Wow, we have a potential 2000 yard rusher and people are still complaining about the trade. Get over it already. RBs are more prone to injury than a DE...thats the complaint? Im glad we go Charles, i wasnt happy that we traded JA at the time but its time to let it go people.
    I am over it You should have seen me the day of the trade. Yeah I might need to seek help when it comes to football. I might take it a little to hard.

Wow, we have a potential 2000 yard rusher and people are still complaining about the trade. Get over it already. RBs are more prone to injury than a DE...thats the complaint? Im glad we go Charles, i wasnt happy that we traded JA at the time but its time to let it go people.
    No, not a complaint persay related to injury risk. I was simply giving my explanation as to why, given a scenerio of having to choose between the two...I would choose Allen. Of which, injury risk was one of many factor's I considered when weighing the pro's & con's of both player's.

As far as getting past it, heck, we really don't have a choice but to get past it, but I still miss Jared. Each time I see of how much benefit he is for another team with winning, I can't help but be reminded of what we lost...needlessly.

That's just one of those big boo-boo's that takes a while to heal from & is gonna leave a permanent scar, lol. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I am still upset about the trade. You don't take you the heart and soul out of your team and expect them to ever be the same. The defense has sucked since Allen was traded. Charles is good but we didn't know what we had for years because of Larry Johnson. It was and will be one of the worst trades KC has made.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSDFAN View Post
    I am still upset about the trade. You don't take you the heart and soul out of your team and expect them to ever be the same. The defense has sucked since Allen was traded. Charles is good but we didn't know what we had for years because of Larry Johnson. It was and will be one of the worst trades KC has made.
    Now we will never recover from this trade?

So trading Jared Allen for Charles is one of the worst trades ever...will you still feel the same when he puts up 2000 yards?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Now we will never recover from this trade?

So trading Jared Allen for Charles is one of the worst trades ever...will you still feel the same when he puts up 2000 yards?
    Charles could put up 2000 yards in a game but he'll never have the KC Mullet. That thing was just as big a symbol of the Chiefs as the arrowhead is.

Just like the Bible man. When we lost the hair we lost our might!

Thanks Aussie!

You can't argue agains tthe fact that Allen would not be a good fit for our current 3-4 scheme. Maybe we wouldn't have swtiched if he stayed. Maybe. But remember, this guy's contract was up at the end of the year, and we weren't willing to pay him. At least they got something for him. A starting LT and our current starting RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    You can't argue agains tthe fact that Allen would not be a good fit for our current 3-4 scheme. Maybe we wouldn't have swtiched if he stayed. Maybe. But remember, this guy's contract was up at the end of the year, and we weren't willing to pay him. At least they got something for him. A starting LT and our current starting RB.
    Carl wasn't willing to pay...but it wasn't about money IMO. Carl promised Jared when he drafted him, that if he performed, lived up to expectations, he would have a permanent spot on the Chiefs roster, and be compensated accordingly.

Jared stated publicly he believed he would spend his career in KC as Carl promised, he bought land, had plans to build a permanent home in KC.

Carl didn't keep his promise to Jared, using his DUI as the reason, but I felt it was more of an excuse. A logical excuse, considering...but, I think the truth behind the trade was a clash of personalitie's and ego's. Carl being in the position of power, used it.

Yes, we have Charles, but we got lucky...no one, not even Carl, knew for sure what Charles could do on the field. We still don't know for sure, and won't until this season after all the OL changes are made, the new OC takes over.

Like Canada said though...it's done, over...no turning back. We do have something to hope for in Charles, which if Charles does as well as expected, that will somewhat lesson the lingering fan anomosity over trading Jared.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Im not saying I liked the trade when it happened. I was as big a JA fan as the next guy, I have just heard enough about it. Like you say we ended up doing alright with Albert and Charles. Im just tired of hearing about it. We are moving forward, I don't care to revisit mistakes year after year. Its gettin' old.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Im not saying I liked the trade when it happened. I was as big a JA fan as the next guy, I have just heard enough about it. Like you say we ended up doing alright with Albert and Charles. Im just tired of hearing about it. We are moving forward, I don't care to revisit mistakes year after year. Its gettin' old.
    I had realy forgotten about it except for everytime i see Allen in a purple jersey. Thats the only time that it brings it up for me. But it is time to move on. We can still be a great team without him.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast