Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top ten players Without A super Bowl Ring

Default Top ten players Without A super Bowl Ring

NFL Videos: Without a ring

Tony G should be in that list but some of those players lost 3 and 4 straight super bowls so that's pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Trent does have a Super Bowl Ring from being the Rams QB. He was the starting Rams QB prior to Warner taking over when Green was injured. Warner of course did so well, he continued starting even after Green's injury healed, went on to take the Rams to a SB.

Green should've had a SB Ring from the Chiefs 2003 season at least...we lacked major defense & it it cost us a SB in 2003.
    Did we even have a defense on the field in 03 if so i dont rember them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Did we even have a defense on the field in 03 if so i dont rember them at all.
    No, not really, which is likely why you don't remember them, hahaha. I actually worded that wrong, I'm tired, haha...I should've said we lacked defense in a major way!
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 02-15-2010 at 09:57 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I think he got one from the rams. I could be wrong on that.
    As a backup on IR.

That's technically not fair cause he didn't earn it.

Just like Priest.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    As a backup on IR.

That's technically not fair cause he didn't earn it.

Just like Priest.
    Did you know that Trent doesn't wear his Super Bowl ring from the Rams, because he says he didn't earn it? I disagree however.

Green was the starting QB until he became injured in the pre-season...not his fault he was injured & out for the remainder of that season. It was a typical dirty hit by Rodney Harrison. Nor was it his fault that Warner excelled to the point of taking Trent's starting position away while he was injured.

Trent contributed in every way he could supporting the Rams as a team member while he was injured. He helped mentor Warner that season during practice, studying game plans, and from the sidelines. Warner was basically a rookie in the NFL taking over for Trent when he did, having never played in the NFL.

Green had played well the season before as the Redskins starter, and was playing impressively during that pre-season. There was much developed talent on the Rams team, including Marshall Faulk. Green had the potential to lead that Rams team to the SB.

All that said, the most important reason I feel Trent earned his SB Ring without playing...is Green sacrificed his knee to the Rams. He under-went 6 painful knee surgeries, hours of painful rehabilitation, and all the while Helped & watched an unknown QB lead his team to the Super Bowl...that had to be emotionally hard, and a sacrifice in itself.

Below is an article I found related.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Kurt Warner’s first big chance in the NFL came at Trent Green’s expense. It’s almost surreal to think that Green, who was born in Cedar Rapids, completed 28 of 32 passes in the 1999 preseason before then-Chargers safety Rodney Harrison shredded his planting leg. Green lost his job, and Warner became the NFL’s ultimate rags-to-riches star.

2004 KANSAS CITY — Trent Green doesn’t blame Rodney Harrison for the wicked hit that ended his dream season. He still grimaces about the disappointment and the six long years of rehabilitation that continues to this very day. But there is no blame.
    Green, the Chiefs quarterback, just looks at his scar on his left knee as a badge of toughness. Courage. Mental focus. The scar hides the repaired anterior cruciate ligament, medial cruciate ligament and lateral meniscus, and tells a story of perseverance and character. It keeps the 34-year-old meticulously moving forward. Without regret.

The first chapter of Green’s story ends on the carpet of St. Louis’ Edward Jones Dome. That’s also where the second chapter, the one he continues to write, begins. On that rug in his hometown, Green started his third preseason game for the St. Louis Rams. His exhibition numbers were staggering 28 completions in 32 attempts.

Against San Diego, Green had thrown a pass with his left leg planted in the rigid artificial turf. Harrison, then a Chargers safety, fell to the ground after a block from Rams running back Marshall Faulk. Harrison climbed from the carpet and drove into Green’s left leg. Harrison destroyed normal structure of Green’s knee and shattered a season that ended with triumph for his team. But not for him.

He owns the Super Bowl ring earned by the 1999 St. Louis Rams, but he doesn’t wear it. It wasn’t the team he took to the Super Bowl it was the same team he supported as a good teammate. “It took me six years to get to that point,” Green said. “I finally felt like I had a team of my own, and I proved to myself that I could play in this league. And then to sit back and watch somebody do the things I had aspired to do, and do the things I had hoped to do, it just gave me that much more motivation. He rehabilitates his knee on off days and after practices. He stretches it and proudly proclaims it’s better now than at any other time since his fourth surgery.

Harrison, now a starting safety with the world champion New England Patriots, has a reputation as one of the NFL’s toughest and, sometimes, dirtiest players. He also continues to torment Green. In a Monday night game on Nov. 22, Harrison stepped in front of tight end Tony Gonzalez and intercepted a Green pass in the end zone. Two years earlier, officials slapped Harrison with a personal foul penalty for a helmet-to-chin hit against Green that indirectly led to a Chiefs win. Even Green admits that Harrison straddles the border of tough play and dirty play.

“I know everybody wants me to say bad stuff about him,” Green says, “but the only thing I can say is (that) I wish it hadn’t happened. It changed the direction of my life and my career. It changed the direction of Kurt (Warner’s) career. It potentially changed the direction of the team and what happened that season and the people involved. “The bad that came out it, in terms of a player and a person, I’ve probably taken more good out of it.”

The hit
    The St. Louis Rams signed Green in a last-ditch effort to save then-coach Dick Vermeil’s career, as well as shed the label as the NFL’s worst team of the 1990s. The Rams moved from Los Angeles after the 1994 season and entered the 1999 season tied with Cincinnati for the worst record in the decade. After two seasons, Vermeil’s approach seemed to wear thin with players. Green seemed a natural fit in St. Louis. As a product of nearby Kirkwood, Mo., Green brought consistency to an offense that was just starting to take off.

Before the draft, the Rams traded for underachieving, yet talented, running back Marshall Faulk to couple with top-notch receiver Isaac Bruce. They drafted future Pro Bowl receiver Torry Holt. The result was mesmerizing that preseason. Green completed almost 88 percent of his passes for 406 yards and posted an extraordinary passing rating of 126.8. But after suffering his massive knee injury, Green’s life changed forever.

He anguished through four surgeries to repair the knee. He watched his backup, former stock boy Kurt Warner, become possibly the greatest success story in NFL history. Warner’s path paralleled Green’s in many ways: Warner moved from Division I-AA football to Arena Football to grocery stores to NFL Europe to career backup to chance starter. Warner completed 65 percent of his passes for 4,353 yards and 41 touchdowns that season to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl title. He was named the NFL’s Most Valuable Player and his story captivated the nation.

Green, conversely, watched the scene in disbelief. He could have led the Rams to the same success. His first real shot was over before it started.

Green went through excruciating rehabilitation just to walk again. He reflected on his career. He thought about Coach Vermeil, his wife, Julie, and others who helped him reach his status as NFL quarterback. It was hard. But he accepted it. “As much as I’d like to sit here and say how bad it was and how negative it was,” he says, “I probably took more positive out of it than anything, and it’s probably made me a better person and player. “Don’t get me wrong I wish it never happened.”
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 02-16-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Did you know that Trent doesn't wear his Super Bowl ring from the Rams, because he says he didn't earn it? I disagree however.

Green was the starting QB until he became injured in the pre-season...not his fault he was injured & out for the remainder of that season. It was a typical dirty hit by Rodney Harrison. Nor was it his fault that Warner excelled to the point of taking Trent's starting position away while he was injured.

Trent contributed in every way he could supporting the Rams as a team member while he was injured. He helped mentor Warner that season during practice, studying game plans, and from the sidelines. Warner was basically a rookie in the NFL taking over for Trent when he did, having never played in the NFL.

Green had played well the season before as the Redskins starter, and was playing impressively during that pre-season. There was much developed talent on the Rams team, including Marshall Faulk. Green had the potential to lead that Rams team to the SB.

All that said, the most important reason I feel Trent earned his SB Ring without playing...is Green sacrificed his knee to the Rams. He under-went 6 painful knee surgeries, hours of painful rehabilitation, and all the while Helped & watched an unknown QB lead his team to the Super Bowl...that had to be emotionally hard, and a sacrifice in itself.

Below is an article I found related.
    I would not only be wearing it I would tell any chick around how I threw for 10 td passes in that game and just pray she does not watch any football at all.

This is interesting fact about Green too, of which always irritated me related to the media during Trent's peak. Manning, who was rated under Green these same three years, received all the attention and glory...and he didn't even have the pass stats of Green, wasn't even close.

"It's almost a secret that Green is the ONLY Quarterback in the NFL that's been over a 90% efficiency rating three years in a row."

2003, 2004, 2005

I would not only be wearing it I would tell any chick around how I threw for 10 td passes in that game and just pray she does not watch any football at all.

For Non Chiefs on that list, I would have to say Fran Tarkenton! Before I was introduce to Arrowhead, and before moving to Kansas, as a young boy, Fran was my hero, and the vikings my team. I had a connection to Fran, we were both PK's.

Earl Campbell should be on that list too, in my opinion.

Resident Celebrity

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast