Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs' biggest needs in the upcoming draft / offseason?

Default Chiefs' biggest needs in the upcoming draft / offseason?

I'm working on an NFL draft website and we're trying to come up with 'needs' for each team, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions from some fans?

I know the team is struggling and there are a lot of places that they could get better, but what are the biggest positions of need for the Chiefs during this offseason? Which ones would you like to see addressed by the draft? Which ones would be better addressed in free agency? Do you have anyone specific in mind who you think would fit the team's schemes best?

This will be important to us as we put out our full seven-round mocks closer to the draft.

I'd appreciate the help from people who truly care about the Chiefs -- we just want to make sure that we're not missing anything when we post our "team needs" segments.

For those wondering, here is a link to our most recent mock draft:
    Mock Drafts

Chiefs' picks:
    5. Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    36. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
    50. Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
    68. Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas

Our Positional Rankings:
    QB | FB | RB | WR | TE | T | G | C
    DE | DT | OLB | ILB | CB | FS | SS | K | P

Comments/critiques appreciated! :)

Oh, and before anyone tries to say that I'm just here to "plug my website," I want to let everyone know that while I would like to get increased traffic to the website; the reason I posted this is to get honest opinions from the people who actually care about teams.

Thanks!

O line and ANYONE at any postion that can help give this team a pass rush. Thoses are the 2 biggest issues with this team right now.

Here's how I would rank what I feel are the Chiefs biggest needs, personally.

NT
    SS
    OLB
    C
    Backup RB
    Slot WR
    CB

The Chiefs have several needs obviously. My opinion is that the needs are in this order.

1.) Safety - Our safety play last year was horrendous, big plays were far too many and it was a result of guys being out of position and missing tackles. I would love to see Berry fall to us at 5, but I still have my questions as to whether or not Pioli would pick him even if he was there. His first focus always seems to be the Lines on both sides of the ball, and we definitely still have holes there.

2.) OLine - There are a ton of ways which this can be addressed. Last year we took Albert and moved him from a Guard which he played in college to LT. There are talks that if we draft a LT, Albert moves to LG and Waters to C. I think you're right with the position KC will target in the first round here.

3.) MLB - I wasn't happy with our MLB play last year. Tackling was poor from this position and we struggled to stuff the run. There are some questions about Derrick Johnson (who came off the bench most of the year) and whether he will be back. If Okung and Berry are both off the board, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs go after McClain here.

4.) NT - There's no question there's a need for a guy to plug the middle in the newly implemented 3-4 D. Ron Edwards was pretty ineffective there last year, and the Chiefs have already invested a lot in Dorsey and Jackson on the ends. Again, Pioli likes to focus on his lines, so I don't think there is much doubt they will look for a NT in rounds 2-3.

5.) WR - Most dropped passes in the league last year. Enough said. There are questions about whether Chambers will be back. There are question marks around Bowe too. He's not a guy that is going to run clearing routes, but would be complemented well by someone who can do that. In summary, the needs at WR are both a deep threat and a slot guy.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 02-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.

we dont need an LT as bad as everyone wants to claim we do...thats speaking from a statistical perspective...

in the immediate future

NT
    SS
    C
    RG
    WR
    RB
    OLB

in that order
    my ideal draft is different than that because of BPA...but most of those would be addressed
    Last edited by whatwasthat?; 02-16-2010 at 12:11 PM.

i dont know how anyone can argue against NT being our biggest need. we had one of the worst defense last season, and ALL of our D troubles start on the line with the NT. Our secondary depends on our LBs to do their job correctly so they can do theirs. But the LB's cant do their job correctly if the d-line is not doing theirs. This ripple effect will continue until our NT position is addressed.

His our team needs in my opinion

1. NT
    2. Safety
    3. ILB
    4. C
    5. OG
    6. OLB
    7. CB
    8. backup RB (a bruising short yardage type back to spell Jamaal Charles. A Lendale White type of RB.)
    9. WR depth
    Last edited by captainamerica; 02-16-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The Chiefs have several needs obviously. My opinion is that the needs are in this order.

1.) Safety - Our safety play last year was horrendous, big plays were far too many and it was a result of guys being out of position and missing tackles. I would love to see Berry fall to us at 5, but I still have my questions as to whether or not Pioli would pick him even if he was there. His first focus always seems to be the Lines on both sides of the ball, and we definitely still have holes there.

2.) OLine - There are a ton of ways which this can be addressed. Last year we took Albert and moved him from a Guard which he played in college to LT. There are talks that if we draft a LT, Albert moves to LG and Waters to C. I think you're right with the position KC will target in the first round here.

3.) MLB - I wasn't happy with our MLB play last year. Tackling was poor from this position and we struggled to stuff the run. There are some questions about Derrick Johnson (who came off the bench most of the year) and whether he will be back. If Okung and Berry are both off the board, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs go after McClain here.

4.) NT - There's no question there's a need for a guy to plug the middle in the newly implemented 3-4 D. Ron Edwards was pretty ineffective there last year, and the Chiefs have already invested a lot in Dorsey and Jackson on the ends. Again, Pioli likes to focus on his lines, so I don't think there is much doubt they will look for a NT in rounds 2-3.

5.) WR - Most dropped passes in the league last year. Enough said. There are questions about whether Chambers will be back. There are question marks around Bowe too. He's not a guy that is going to run clearing routes, but would be complemented well by someone who can do that. In summary, the needs at WR are both a deep threat and a slot guy.

I meant to put this but forgot:

6.) A RB to spell Jamaal Charles. Our backups were very ineffective in the last half of the season. A Lendale White type as mentioned earlier.

1.) Safety- Definitely need a safety, to be honest, Mike Brown is serviceable but I want to see someone push him for a job. We have no depth at Safety. McGraw is a great ST player but Jarrad Page needs someone beside him.

2.) DT-More like 1b. Our defense was horrid last year and it starts up front. Teams torched us and a DT that can stuff the run is needed.

3.) Slot Reciever- Chambers is very valuable to KC. If he stays, then having him and Bowe on the outside and bringing in a sure handed WR would be very beneficial to the team. If Chambers is out, then we need a starter opposite Bowe.

4.)ILB- I don't know why everyone thinks DJ is the starter for the future, yes he played great against Denver but Demorrio Williams played great ALL YEAR. Leading tackler this year, put someone next to him and keep DJ a nickel package LB or trade him off to a 4-3 team.

5.) Guard-Yes I understand that this draft class is heavy with Tackles but to me that only means that we can get one later than the first round. I felt that Albert was great to end the year, he finally got it down. Pick up/draft a guard that can play immediately and draft a tackle in round 3 or 4 that can be the future. It is way cheaper and more realistic to get a Guard than attempt to find the next future Tackle that has never played in the NFL yet. Possible bust waiting to happen.

6.) Change of pace RB- One of the reasons Jamal Charles played so well is that he only started 10 games. Being fresh is important for RB's and if KC plans to use Charles next yar, they better have someone that can give him a breather and not let him wear down. That's my worry.

For my opinions about the team's needs I can't just rank them 1,2,3, etc....

So I will use a different system, with ranks of where I find each positional need as addressable, and assume that Free Agency will have no bearing.

Nose Tackle...

is a positions that needs a starter as well as depth. But that depth would be a bit lower than many other positions, in my opinion.

I would hope to aquire a player to play Nose Tackle within the first two, maybe three, rounds.

Offensive Line...

is a trickey area right now. Hard to place individual positional needs here, because so much depends upon how confident the staff is in a couple of players.

Particularly, B. Albert (LOT) and R. Niswanger (C).

Alot of fans feel that our Center position is in dire need of a replacement for Niswanger. But the staff awarded him the team's O-line MVP.

And at LOT, many feel like Albert should be moved to his college position of RG. WHile the team staff seems to be pretty satisfied with him as LOT.

Myself, I feel that we will need to trust the staff's evaluation, when considering this draft. Especially since they will be the guys dictating what our positional needs are.

With the LOT and C positions being considered "locked down" and our ROT position looking to have improved a great deal, only RG is left as a position of need.

Depth would still be on the list, as well as competition for starting jobs. (ROT)

So I would think that we would look to get a RG starter in the 2nd or 3rd round and competetive depth at rounds 5 and 6.

However, there is still the chance that we could look for a LOT in the early rounds, and move Albert to the "vacant" RG spot. (My personal choice)

Safety...

is again a bit uncertain, as there are two positions, and most feel that only one needs addressed.

Assuming that Jared Page has the trust of the current staff at FS, that position is full, even on depth.

But Page was horrible in many aspects of the position when he was healthy. (Injured for all of 2009 season) And the staff didn't see much of him. So the trust there may not exist. In which case, the starting spot would be far from "locked down".

With so many other high needs, I think we will have to give Page a chance and ignore this position in the draft.

The Strong Safety position is a different story. I think that Eric Berry would be a huge temptation, due to the importance of a Strong Safey in a 3-4 defense.

I would guess that we would place a very high value on a starting Strong Safety, even if we do not take Berry in the first. I doubt that we get out of round three without having selected a Saftey.

Outside Linebacker...

is a position that I don't particularly agree with most on. Seems most fans are thrilled with Tamba Hali being our pass-rushing LB, while I feel that it is a very sore spot on this team.

I believe that Romeo Crennel will see that as a top priority for his vision of the 3-4 defense and expect Tamba Hali to move to the other side. Hali has always been better at playing the run than the pass. Too slow to cover or be a consistent pass-rusher.

So I expect to see an Outside Linebacker taken before the fourth round arrives.

Beyond that, I don't think the positions will get much attention.

Inside Linebacker...

will depend heavily on how the new Defensive Coordinator and Derrick Johnson interact.

I would love to see DJ be given an oppotunity to fill the pass-rusher need at Ouside Linebacker. But that is looking like a long shot.

He had big issues with, Head Coach, Todd Haley. But the buffer of Crennel may help him to want to be here, and concentrate on winning with this team.

I'll assume that he stay, and along with D. Williams, "locks down" the Inside spots.

In which case, I'd look for very little to be drafted at those positions. Possibly a 5th to 7th round pick, but that'd be about it.

Defensive End...

Should be on "lock down".

The question here is going to be Glenn Dorsey.

Assuming he stays, and with T. Jackson slated as the other starter, last season's 2nd round pick, A. Mcgee pretty well covers he majority of the depth.

Assuming Dorsey stays, this position will likely be considered to be secure.

Cornerback...

will probably be a higher priority than many fans expect.

B. Flowers has convinced most people that he can handle his job. But B. Carr has been very incosistent.

I would look for the team to take this position seriously between rounds four and five.

Wide Receiver...

Is Dwayne Bowe our Number 1 or not?

I think he is. Not real sure the staff will agree. But I also doubt that they will be able to prioritize this to look for a Number 1 Wide receiver in the draft, considering the unliklihood of drafting that guy at all, let alone past the top pick.

I look for a later round pick, maybe 5th or 6th round. Just taking a shot at finding a Number two, or three, guy.

Tight End...

Not likey to be considered important enough to draft, especially since they do have some guys that they seem to like.

Fullback...

Not a usefull position in the type of offense that we run, really.

Halfback...

May be looking for a power-type of backup. Certainly not a big priority. Very late rounds, or an underafted guy would be my guess.

Quarterback...

No need. Late rounds, or undrafted, in an attempt to hit the lottery to fill the backup spots.

At the end of the day, I would expect to see something like this...

Scenario - #1 ....#2.....#3

1st round - SS ....NT.....OT
    2nd round - OG...SS.....NT
    2nd round - NT....OG....OLB
    3rd round - OLB...CB...SS
    4th round - CB...OLB...CB

With three picks in the 5th round, anything goes from there on out.

But, with those first five picks, I think there are five positions that are most likely to be selected. OT/OG, SS, NT, OLB and CB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast