Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Case for Cassel

Default The Case for Cassel

Been hearing alot of rumors as of late, and even a couple 3 way trades involving our QB, Brady Quinn (weis connection) and the Broncos and it got me thinkin..I know this is a touchy subject with some, but I have to share my opinion...

I like Cassel, but I dont see him as our QBOTF. Last year towards the end of the season, everyone picked up their game on the offense. We were playing some pretty decent games. We got Bowe back and our WRs stepped up big time, the o-line stepped up big time with Wade Smith, BA and O'Cally looking very impressive and JC really stepped his game up and cut out most of his fumbles...Cassel is the only one we didnt see improve even with and improved line and better running game. I know some will still lay all blame on the "atrocious o-line" and our WRs, but you cant deny that we got better at those positions in the later part of the season. Its in the tape.

Bash me, or criticize me if you will, but I am only telling you what I see and hear. I am one for giving one time to develop, and I understand how that works, but this is his 7th year in the league, and the ceiling cant be too much higher for him at this point in his career. I think it was also one reason we front loaded the hell out of his contract. #1 we have the cap room now to absorb that kind of hit and #2 I think that they thought after a year or so that they would have their own hand picked coaching staff in there, which we do now. And everyone knows, the coaches are going to want their guy. With the state of the NFL cap this year, and how much we are under the cap I dont think its out of the question that Cassel could be traded. Plus Brodie is a FA and Haley really likes Brodie too...Personally I would like to keep Cassel for one more year unless we get offered something fantastic for him, but I dont think the idea id as farfetched as some might think....opinions?

At the end of the preseason after Cassel was injured, Haley was very vocal about how pleased he was with Croyle and how comfortable he was going into the year starting him as our QB. He wanted to start him after he played impressively at Baltimore, but Pioli is the one that insisted that Cassel be the starter. Piloi does love him, but he is not a coach. He knows he needs to let the coaches coach if he wants a winning franchise. As soon as our coaches are in a position to do what they want to do at QB, Cassel is gone. Bottom line is the coaches are going to end up wanting their own guy sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    At the end of the preseason after Cassel was injured, Haley was very vocal about how pleased he was with Croyle and how comfortable he was going into the year starting him as our QB. He wanted to start him after he played impressively at Baltimore, but Pioli is the one that insisted that Cassel be the starter. Piloi does love him, but he is not a coach. He knows he needs to let the coaches coach if he wants a winning franchise. As soon as our coaches are in a position to do what they want to do at QB, Cassel is gone. Bottom line is the coaches are going to end up wanting their own guy sooner rather than later.
    Just because Haley instilled some confidence in him does not make him Haleys guy. What would you expect haley to say about him? "Croyle is not that good but we are crossing our fingers" ?? I just dont see where you are getting that the coaching staff does not want Cassel.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Piloi would not make a change even if he knew it was the right thing to do. How would that make him look as a first year GM if he sat his "all star" big $$ QB for Brodie or someone else? Im sure he knew better than that. He knew he would have lost alot of the support if he did that

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I think that they belive in him. Otherwise he would not have been the starter at the end of the season. I no they gave him alot of money but I think if they saw signs that he was not going to get the job done then they would have made a change.

Haley likes Brodie as a QB better. Its that simple. One of the big reasons Pioli and Haley got off to a rocky start, because they did not see eye to eye on the QB situation. Bank on it that he will be re signed if we dont do something about bringing someone else in here. Cassel is only here until Weis and Haley find their guy whoever it is. Personally I dont know how Weis feels about him, but I do know one thing....coaches always want their own guy. Cassel was picked by our GM because he thought he felt comfortable with him, and we got him and Vrabel at such a cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Just because Haley instilled some confidence in him does not make him Haleys guy. What would you expect haley to say about him? "Croyle is not that good but we are crossing our fingers" ?? I just dont see where you are getting that the coaching staff does not want Cassel.

His contract was structured the way it was because they knew that after 2 seasons we would have our new coaches in here and they could do what they wanted. After this year we can trade Cassel with practically no cap hit because all of his guaranteed $$$ will have already been paid to him. We basically signed him to a 3 year deal...smart move by Pioli

Haley likes Brodie as a QB better. Its that simple. One of the big reasons Pioli and Haley got off to a rocky start, because they did not see eye to eye on the QB situation. Bank on it that he will be re signed if we dont do something about bringing someone else in here. Cassel is only here until Weis and Haley find their guy whoever it is. Personally I dont know how Weis feels about him, but I do know one thing....coaches always want their own guy. Cassel was picked by our GM because he thought he felt comfortable with him, and we got him and Vrabel at such a cheap price.
    I still dont see how you think the coaching staff doesnt like Cassel. You have only pointed out potential situations with no actual evidence. The only evidence you have shown was that Haley supported Croyle when Cassel was injured.

Also, I think (or at least hope) Pioli wouldnt force Haley to start someone just because he gave that player a big contract. I would think the coach would have more autonomy and wouldnt care about finances. If Haley was truly unimpressed with Cassel, I think he would have started Croyle.

I think you are confusing the coaching staff not likeing Cassel, with you not likeing him.
    You would rather start the guy who has yet to win a game?
    Chiefs in 2011

Piloi would not make a change even if he knew it was the right thing to do. How would that make him look as a first year GM if he sat his "all star" big $$ QB for Brodie or someone else? Im sure he knew better than that. He knew he would have lost alot of the support if he did that
    Pioli to me does not seem to be a guy who is worried on what the media thinks what a move looks like. If its the best thing to do for the team he will do it. As the same for haley. Look what Haley did right before the season fired Chan.

You dont get 3 rings by thinking what will the public think about this move. If its what you think is best for the team you do it. Its that simple. Cassle is the QB of this team now and will be throught the season. Just get use to it. I think thats a good thing.

everyones got vary valid points but its either you like cassel or hate cassel sorry but a qb like manning and brady are one in a million no one gets exactly what they want when there rebuilding cassel might not be a hall of famer but he gave us some stability at the qb position which any team rebuilding needs. i still believe in cassel and well see what happens but if it dosent work out pioli and haley did a great job at sayin hes our qb for now never said cassels our guy for life haley has said he can see cassel taking them to the super bowl but its not like were just a qb away from competing we have ALOT more to worry about then just if cassels legit

I dont hate Cassel, I just dont think he is our QBOTF. I am not confused, I do this for a living. I am not letting my feeling about Cassel cloud my opinion on this. And yes, I think Pioli would have started Cassel regardless, because of his contract, and because you dont pay a QB that much money unless you know for sure he is your guy. If you turn around and sit him, that makes him look like an idiot. As the highest paid GM in the league and the guy that is supposed to turn the Chiefs back into superbowl winners should be worried about how he is perceived by the public. If he loses favor with the public media, the fans will be next. You always worry about what public think, theyre the ones that but the tickets.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast