Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for Cassel

Default The Case for Cassel

Been hearing alot of rumors as of late, and even a couple 3 way trades involving our QB, Brady Quinn (weis connection) and the Broncos and it got me thinkin..I know this is a touchy subject with some, but I have to share my opinion...

I like Cassel, but I dont see him as our QBOTF. Last year towards the end of the season, everyone picked up their game on the offense. We were playing some pretty decent games. We got Bowe back and our WRs stepped up big time, the o-line stepped up big time with Wade Smith, BA and O'Cally looking very impressive and JC really stepped his game up and cut out most of his fumbles...Cassel is the only one we didnt see improve even with and improved line and better running game. I know some will still lay all blame on the "atrocious o-line" and our WRs, but you cant deny that we got better at those positions in the later part of the season. Its in the tape.

Bash me, or criticize me if you will, but I am only telling you what I see and hear. I am one for giving one time to develop, and I understand how that works, but this is his 7th year in the league, and the ceiling cant be too much higher for him at this point in his career. I think it was also one reason we front loaded the hell out of his contract. #1 we have the cap room now to absorb that kind of hit and #2 I think that they thought after a year or so that they would have their own hand picked coaching staff in there, which we do now. And everyone knows, the coaches are going to want their guy. With the state of the NFL cap this year, and how much we are under the cap I dont think its out of the question that Cassel could be traded. Plus Brodie is a FA and Haley really likes Brodie too...Personally I would like to keep Cassel for one more year unless we get offered something fantastic for him, but I dont think the idea id as farfetched as some might think....opinions?

I agree the O-line and WR's got better as the season went on and with the new coaching staff they'll be able to take advantage of that.

Everyone on here has an opinion. But the on on Cassel been hashed and rehashed.
    I'm sorry if it disappoints anyone, but Cassell is our QB for at least one more year.
    www.kcchiefs.com Wednesdays Red Zone with Soren Petro has a comparison of Cassel and Drew Bres after their first 2 years. You should listen.

I am VERY high on Cassel. I think that he can and will turn out to be a very good QB. That being said hes not at the point at this moment that you reject any thoughts of someone eles. He can get to that point but hes not there yet.

As for last season. If you take out half of the Droped passes then his numbers will already be Much better. He did his job alot of the time and the recivers let the team down. Cassle might not have earned his contract last season but he also was not as bad as his numbers said.

I look forward to seeing what cassle can do this next season. If he does not step up his game they should defently look to move on. But I like what i have seen from Cassle.

Sorry, couldnt find the vid you were talking about, if you could post a direct link, I would love to hear it...

But, you make it sound as if you have heard my opinion before...
    Cassel was a backup for his first 5 years in the league. Brees had one season on the bench before he started....what fair comparison can be made?

Not that being on the bench for 5 years is my issue, its the fact he is still making mistakes he shouldnt be making after being a pro for 7 years is. He looks confused in the pocket, his mechanics are still sloppy, his decisison making is as questionable as his accuracy at times...his footwork is the only thing that has saved him. After 7 years in the league Brees was not making those mistakes

I dont want to be "that guy" because I do like Cassel, but as a fan I am concerned about the future of the QB position...Im sure that Weis and Haley will get more out of Cassel next season if he is around. I just hope its enough to warrant us keeping him around for awhile so we can build the rest of the team...But I still wouldnt count anything out...

I don't think the recievers picked up their game a whole lot at the end of the season..
    It was pretty much all JC in my opinion.

Cassel struggled alot last year, but that offense had ZERO continuity, except when JC ran the ball, and alot of it was all him!

There were good plays here and there, but generally there was very little cohesion and drive.

I can't really judge Cassel until I have seen him in an environment where has a chance to flourish.
    Atleast he has an OC now, and a full offseason to learn the playbook..
    Looking forward to the next season. :)

By week 10 we had O Cally and Smith plugged in the line and we were playing much better for the last 7 weeks. If we didnt have continuity by the end of the season, that argument should be saved for the okung debate....Our line played very well together once they were in there...not taking away anything from JC because he is awesome, but he did become our starter at the right time. love the optimism

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    Sorry, couldnt find the vid you were talking about, if you could post a direct link, I would love to hear it...

But, you make it sound as if you have heard my opinion before...
    Cassel was a backup for his first 5 years in the league. Brees had one season on the bench before he started....what fair comparison can be made?

Not that being on the bench for 5 years is my issue, its the fact he is still making mistakes he shouldnt be making after being a pro for 7 years is. He looks confused in the pocket, his mechanics are still sloppy, his decisison making is as questionable as his accuracy at times...his footwork is the only thing that has saved him. After 7 years in the league Brees was not making those mistakes
    Next season is going to be Cassels 6th. He has not been in the league for 7 years.
    Matt Cassel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

yes Canada. And he has only played/started in 2 of them. Cassel in 2010 will be atleast 100% better. You can quote me on that. I dont think it is fair to judge a QB with new players, bad receivers, a new sytem after the firing of chan gailey (so basically a new system from the 3rd preseason game on), and questionable protection. All the while still not having much game experience. If you actually give the guy a chance i think he will do pretty well. Yes, he made a few bad throws in each game, but what do you expect? Peyton Manning?

The whole money thing is nonsense anyways because he was coming out of his contract year, after he just won 9 or some odd games and filling in for tom brady. starting qbs who sign long term deals are going to get lots of money. its that simple....

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast