Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Case for Cassel

Default The Case for Cassel

Been hearing alot of rumors as of late, and even a couple 3 way trades involving our QB, Brady Quinn (weis connection) and the Broncos and it got me thinkin..I know this is a touchy subject with some, but I have to share my opinion...

I like Cassel, but I dont see him as our QBOTF. Last year towards the end of the season, everyone picked up their game on the offense. We were playing some pretty decent games. We got Bowe back and our WRs stepped up big time, the o-line stepped up big time with Wade Smith, BA and O'Cally looking very impressive and JC really stepped his game up and cut out most of his fumbles...Cassel is the only one we didnt see improve even with and improved line and better running game. I know some will still lay all blame on the "atrocious o-line" and our WRs, but you cant deny that we got better at those positions in the later part of the season. Its in the tape.

Bash me, or criticize me if you will, but I am only telling you what I see and hear. I am one for giving one time to develop, and I understand how that works, but this is his 7th year in the league, and the ceiling cant be too much higher for him at this point in his career. I think it was also one reason we front loaded the hell out of his contract. #1 we have the cap room now to absorb that kind of hit and #2 I think that they thought after a year or so that they would have their own hand picked coaching staff in there, which we do now. And everyone knows, the coaches are going to want their guy. With the state of the NFL cap this year, and how much we are under the cap I dont think its out of the question that Cassel could be traded. Plus Brodie is a FA and Haley really likes Brodie too...Personally I would like to keep Cassel for one more year unless we get offered something fantastic for him, but I dont think the idea id as farfetched as some might think....opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    No personal attacks on members will be allowed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless of how incorrect it may be.

On topic: Let's see here. Cassell was on a new team, with a new coach, and had to learn a new playbook 7 days before the season began. Cassell stood behind one of the worst offensive lines in football, threw the ball to WR's who the Chiefs plucked off the street because nobody else wanted him. I guess I should be disappointed that he didn't make the Pro-Bowl.

This guy battled through a very difficult year and did not *****/complain once. He wasn't throwing teammates under the bus when they stunk. I couldn't be more happy about having Cassell on this team. I think next year will be a breakout year for both Cassell and the entire Chiefs organization. I think with a little luck during this offseason, the Chiefs have a legitimate shot at contenting for an AFC West title next year. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Everything is starting to fall in place for the Chiefs.

what he said

No personal attacks on members will be allowed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless of how incorrect it may be.

On topic: Let's see here. Cassell was on a new team, with a new coach, and had to learn a new playbook 7 days before the season began. Cassell stood behind one of the worst offensive lines in football, threw the ball to WR's who the Chiefs plucked off the street because nobody else wanted him. I guess I should be disappointed that he didn't make the Pro-Bowl.

This guy battled through a very difficult year and did not *****/complain once. He wasn't throwing teammates under the bus when they stunk. I couldn't be more happy about having Cassell on this team. I think next year will be a breakout year for both Cassell and the entire Chiefs organization. I think with a little luck during this offseason, the Chiefs have a legitimate shot at contenting for an AFC West title next year. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Everything is starting to fall in place for the Chiefs.

He did let out a few profanities when the fans were booing him, and the camera caught that. I don't think it's very classy to boo your team, but Cassel let that get the best of him which didn't make me very happy. Even though it was too himself he has to always realize that there isn't much that can be kept personal when you're under a national spotlight. Other than that it seemed like he kept a decent attitude.

Thanks Aussie!

ive cussed in every sport ive played
    it doesnt mean you have a bad attitude

cassel is very passionate
    you can tell how he overcelebrates sometimes (haha it makes me laugh)

but he means well
    it shows that he takes the chiefs successes or failures to heart and thats one thing that this team needs...emotional leaders

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post

but he means well
    it shows that he takes the chiefs successes or failures to heart and thats one thing that this team needs...emotional leaders
    Eh, I think the greatest saints among us have had a few lapses when involved in competitive sports but when we do it, we're usually the only ones who know it, Cassel on the other hand was unhappy with the people writing his paychecks and he showed it, which makes me mad. Again, I don't like it when fans boo their team, but he should have gone out and given the fans a reason to be quiet rather than telling them to stfu.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by jacko58 View Post
    garcia wasn't a sure qbotf and look at him was my point and your not getting bashed you are taking other peoples comments to heart plus this forums is six pages because of your posts it be three if you weren't replying to everyones opinions i'm not bashing you or anyone elses ideas we all root for the same team and should suppourt anyone on our current roster or past players that were heroes in the red and gold
    While the thought is fresh in my mind, haha...I often reply to each individual post directed at me. For me it's a natural habit of respectful politeness. I also reply often to a post right away after reading, such as now...while the thought of reply is fresh in my mind...rather than after reading a thread entirely, or using the multi quote. This is the only board I've participated at with a multi quote feature, & I often forget about it too, lol.

I think age is attacking my memory, along with everything else, hahaha.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    I know this is not a popular opinion around here, but I still think taking everything into consideration he did a good job. Even in the second half of the year, he still never had any time in the pocket, and the few times he had the chance to look downfield, Cassel made the most of it. And one of the most important things was his additude, he actually seems to give a !t, something that D Bowe could learn a lesson from.

All we can do is wait and see, so far the only people here that I know are sold on him are myself, Coach, and Canada
    Thats ok, we can make room on the Cassel train next season.
    ME! ME! ME! TOO! Prior to my being familiar with his game, I hoped we would start Thigpen in 2009, based upon his doing well in 2008. Once Thigpen was let go, I began opening my mind, paid close attention to Cassel's game. With each game I watched, regardless of any error on his part, I saw far more pro's than con's in his potential ability...especially considering all negative factor's I knew he was up against. I'm on Cassel's band wagon now 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    I dont hate Cassel, I just dont think he is our QBOTF. I am not confused, I do this for a living. I am not letting my feeling about Cassel cloud my opinion on this. And yes, I think Pioli would have started Cassel regardless, because of his contract, and because you dont pay a QB that much money unless you know for sure he is your guy. If you turn around and sit him, that makes him look like an idiot. As the highest paid GM in the league and the guy that is supposed to turn the Chiefs back into superbowl winners should be worried about how he is perceived by the public. If he loses favor with the public media, the fans will be next. You always worry about what public think, theyre the ones that but the tickets.
    I agree a GM should always worry about the fan public opinion, but I don't believe they always do, especially when feeling they're invincible, job's secure...IE: Carl Peterson, haha. That said, under the current circumstances with the Chiefs losing more fan support with each losing season...I most definitely believe & agree Pioli is worrying about the fan public opinion.

Carl Hunt felt the ground shaking under Arrowhead, and it wasn't from a 12th man noise factor any longer, rather pissed off fans grumbling and crumbling profits. Clark's an intelligent businessman, and he brought in the biggest ground stabilizer available to specifically focus on re-gaining fan support. There is only one way to do that, Clark & Pioli both know it...build a Chiefs team of Super Bowl caliber. Every decision Pioli makes is related to re-claiming fan support through winning games.

All factor's considered...we have more reason to believe than we've had in over a decade, that our Chiefs are FINALLY Super Bowl bound.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    okay
    Aussie, are you familiar with who the American fictional Super Hero Batman is? You might not be, considering the TV series was popular in the 1960's. There were comic books of which the TV series was a spin of off. In the 1980's Batman returned in a movie, of which had several sequels to follow.

Batman's sidekick is named Robin (Boy Wonder). Robin became famous for using the word 'holy' at the beginning of a comment and 'Batman' at the end, when he put emphasis on a point to be made. Many American's imitate Robin's use of the word's 'holy' & 'Batman' with making a point of emphasis, such as MD did, haha.

I do it too, such as will say, "Holy no use of turn signal Batman!"...when someone doesn't use their signal in traffic, and so on, hahaha. There was also a Batgirl Super Hero, so if it's a girl I'm directing my point of emphasis towards, will use Batgirl at the end, haha.

Also, most everything related to Batman in the show was called 'bat' this or that. Such as his phone was the 'batphone', his car the 'batmobile'...American's copy that too at times, some calling their cars the 'batmobile' in jest, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I love this thread!
    Me too! It also kept me entertained through this early morning, while a sick dog kept me awake! I think Sunny has cabin fever more than anything serious, hopefully. :)

^^^ DITTO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Eh, I think the greatest saints among us have had a few lapses when involved in competitive sports but when we do it, we're usually the only ones who know it, Cassel on the other hand was unhappy with the people writing his paychecks and he showed it, which makes me mad. Again, I don't like it when fans boo their team, but he should have gone out and given the fans a reason to be quiet rather than telling them to stfu.
    We have to remember at times like those relating to Cassel, or any one for that matter...regardless of their being a professional, they will always be human first. He let the booing roll off his back many times prior to being caught on camera that day...he was due, rightfully so as human who had taken it enough times prior with grace. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post

but he means well
    I like to see passion in the players. When they play with passion that means they care. When you care you play better.

He does have to learn to controll it better. I work in retell. I no I cant curse at customers (even though at times I REALY REALY WANT TO) the fans are customers hes got to learn to control himself better. Hopefuly he will in time.

The way the Chiefs are run now, there is little to NO inside information coming out. Unless you are working in Arrowhead, I don't think any of us are going to find any legitimate evidence that the staff doesn't believe in Cassel.

I think the fact that we are paying him all this money and the fact that he has been the unquestioned starter all of last year (after recovering from injury) should be reason enough that Haley and the staff believe that Cassell is our man.

MDChiefs has his opinion, and he can't back it up with evidence. That's the bottom line, unless you work for the Chiefs, MD, you can't be certain that Haley prefers Croyle and that's fine. That's your opinion.

My opinion is that the staff is all for Cassel. If that's the case, they should do him a huge favor by surrounding him with some playmakers because its painfully clear that he (and Charles) cannot do it on his own. This next month or two are going to be great and will probably shed true light on what our staff is thinking. I can't wait to see who we bring in, and based on the moves we make in the coming weeks and months, we're going to get a pretty good idea on exactly what Haley and the rest of the boys are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    ...you call yourselves Chiefs fans?!?)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    ...and you call yourself a Chiefs fan?
    Varying opinions is no reason to call into question anyone's fandom - so to speak. Look, varying points of view and debate are not only welcomed but encouraged here, all that is asked is that it remain respectful.

For those who may not be aware: a "Warning" is just that; a friendly reminder of the boards rules, and they carry with them no points against an individuals membership here.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 02-23-2010 at 02:50 AM.

This guy battled through a very difficult year and did not *****/complain once. He wasn't throwing teammates under the bus when they stunk. I couldn't be more happy about having Cassell on this team.
    I think next year will be a breakout year for both Cassell and the entire Chiefs organization. I think with a little luck during this offseason, the Chiefs have a legitimate shot at contenting for an AFC West title next year. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Everything is starting to fall in place for the Chiefs.

I absolutely could NOT agree more! I have also had my criticisms of Cassell but he, IMO, was thrown into a near impossible situation and made the most of it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678