Thread: Vince Wilfork Tagged

Default Vince Wilfork Tagged

The Pats put the franchise tag on Vince Wilfork today.

Article here: New England Patriots assign franchise tag to Vince Wilfork - ESPN Boston

In summary, the tagged him and made the statement that they did so to allow themselves more time to negotiate a contract. Wilfork's camp says the same thing.

I get the feeling they really are doing this to keep him from getting tempted by other offers. I think the Pats will only trade him if they are offered a lot (i.e. 1st round pick or multiple picks). Not something I am willing to give up.

This has been almost a lock for a long while now, I'd argue the last couple years, I guess it'll quiet the going after Wilfork in F/A talk.
    I'd still like to have him and I might be willing to give up one or maybe even both 2nd rounders if the price is right. 5th overall is just too high though.

Thanks Aussie!

Not a surprise at all. I think the pats are going to hang on to him but I would not be the least surprised if they were to move him. I dont think he will resign there. He made it clear that he would not be happy if they did tag him. And if they were to move him KC is a good place with Pioli here. SO it could happen dont think its a high possiblty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    This has been almost a lock for a long while now, I'd argue the last couple years, I guess it'll quiet the going after Wilfork in F/A talk.
    I'd still like to have him and I might be willing to give up one or maybe even both 2nd rounders if the price is right. 5th overall is just too high though.
    Ya I just don't see us giving up both 2nd's for him. Pioli and the Patriots seem to covet 2nd rounders much more than firsts. So if the pats would take one 2nd rounder then I say pull the trigger, otherwise we can just draft an NT like Cody, etc with one of our 2nd rounders if we really want to improve NT that drastically.

I've been saying that we after the draft we should offer the Pats a 1st rounder in 2012 for Wilfork. I think they might go for that. That's what Seymour went for after he was franchised.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    I've been saying that we after the draft we should offer the Pats a 1st rounder in 2012 for Wilfork. I think they might go for that. That's what Seymour went for after he was franchised.
    I'd go for that, but with the little knowledge that I have, I'd assume that Wilfork is worth a little more since he's an elite player of one of the more coveted positions right now as opposed to Seymour who is a solid end that can be great when he wants to be which is seldom. Plus, you have to wonder how many future picks the Pats would take, they have to fill slots for the present in the end.

But...

If it was an option I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat, after all, we'll be picking 32 in 2012 so what is essentially a second round pick for a young pro bowler is worth it!

Thanks Aussie!