Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this what they call a muscle car? Anybody ever drive a Dodge?

Default Is this what they call a muscle car? Anybody ever drive a Dodge?

What do you think about the new viper?

Anybody know anything about the quality of cars that Dodge manufactures.

They look really nice, but how do they drive?

"Muscle Car's" are typically defined and thought of by most as being the vintage classic hot rods of the 1960's through 1970's. Such as the Plymouth Duster, Chevy Camero, Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang, Shelby Cobra, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and a few others. Some that aren't considered muscle car's of the 60's-70's might surprise most...such as the Chevy Corvette isn't defined as a muscle car. At one time I owned a 66 Mustang, and a 72 Plymouth Duster, both now defined as Muscle Car's...wish I'd kept both too! LOL Use to drag race the Duster out on the local straightaway, as the majority of HS and young adult age's did in our area, hahaha.

These are the official definition's of 60's-70's "Muscle Car" as defined by the MCCA:

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:
    A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.

Examples: Chevrolet Impala (SS only), Ford Galaxie (with 390 + cid engines only), Dodge Coronet (R/Ts only), etc.

Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

Examples: Chevrolet Camaro (SS and Z28 models only), Ford Mustang (GTs and Boss only), Plymouth 'Cudas (no Barracudas), AMC Javelin, etc.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 02-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Now that the official definition is out of the way, lol...here's my personal opinion on your question related to the Viper.

I'm a Ford person myself, but I've known many with Dodge vehicles, and they're a good product IMO. Never heard many complaints about them at all from those I know who own them.

Although the Viper isn't considered a muscle car by the true historic definition...it most definitely is a car with plenty of muscle and power, hahaha. It's one of my three favorites among newer 'hot rods' so to speak. My other two fav's are the new version's of the Shelby Cobra and Mustang. :)

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Check it out!! This was what I was gonna buy as soon as I paid off my truck, but a major life transition altered those plans, lol. In my favorite color of course...CHIEFS RED as the one shown. Maybe someday when I get life squared away again, I'll still fulfill my dream, haha. Never say never!! :)

I like Chevy, but doge are great too.

I like Chevy's and Dodge's too. My love of Fords began as a Kid in 1964, when Ford introduced the first Mustang. One of our neighbor's bought one, Ford called it a half year model at 1964 1/2. It's very rare today as a classic, very expensive to buy if you do find a 1964 1/2 model.

Anyway, I've loved horses since I was a baby, so as a kid I asscociated the Ford Mustang with the horse it was named after when I first saw it. It had all the horse logo's too, haha. My love of Ford's was born, never left...all because of a car named after a horse breed, lol.

My 1966 Mustang had the Shelby interior, which had the wild Mustang horses running across the top of the seats embossed in the vinyl, lol. It was RED too, which of course has been my favorite color since I was a kid. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I like Chevy's and Dodge's too. My love of Fords began as a Kid in 1964, when Ford introduced the first Mustang. One of our neighbor's bought one, Ford called it a half year model at 1964 1/2. It's very rare today as a classic, very expensive to buy if you do find a 1964 1/2 model.

Anyway, I've loved horses since I was a baby, so as a kid I asscociated the Ford Mustang with the horse it was named after when I first saw it. It had all the horse logo's too, haha. My love of Ford's was born, never left...all because of a car named after a horse breed, lol.

My 1966 Mustang had the Shelby interior, which had the wild Mustang horses running across the top of the seats embossed in the vinyl, lol. It was RED too, which of course has been my favorite color since I was a kid. :)
    Red Ford's are awesome! I have one myself

Resident Celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    "Muscle Car's" are typically defined and thought of by most as being the vintage classic hot rods of the 1960's through 1970's. Such as the Plymouth Duster, Chevy Camero, Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang, Shelby Cobra, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and a few others. Some that aren't considered muscle car's of the 60's-70's might surprise most...such as the Chevy Corvette isn't defined as a muscle car. At one time I owned a 66 Mustang, and a 72 Plymouth Duster, both now defined as Muscle Car's...wish I'd kept both too! LOL Use to drag race the Duster out on the local straightaway, as the majority of HS and young adult age's did in our area, hahaha.

These are the official definition's of 60's-70's "Muscle Car" as defined by the MCCA:

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:
    A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.

Examples: Chevrolet Impala (SS only), Ford Galaxie (with 390 + cid engines only), Dodge Coronet (R/Ts only), etc.

Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

Examples: Chevrolet Camaro (SS and Z28 models only), Ford Mustang (GTs and Boss only), Plymouth 'Cudas (no Barracudas), AMC Javelin, etc.

Thanks man. Sounds like you know your cars.

This camero looks cool, I hear it was Chevrolet's response to the Ford Mustang.

Interesting how they all influence each other.
    Last edited by rookie; 02-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.

DRIVE A VIPER, you'll leave your 'stang behind. awsome power w/superb handling...it's a poor mans ferrari or maseratti. more fun than a vette. that said the only thing missing is the size, feel and throaty sound of a true muscle car......accept no substitutes get behind the wheel of a 69 chevelle ss 396 or a 70 roadrunner 426 hemi or charger rt 440 six pack and you'll be forever changed.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    DRIVE A VIPER, you'll leave your 'stang behind. awsome power w/superb handling...it's a poor mans ferrari or maseratti. more fun than a vette. that said the only thing missing is the size, feel and throaty sound of a true muscle car......accept no substitutes get behind the wheel of a 69 chevelle ss 396 or a 70 roadrunner 426 hemi or charger rt 440 six pack and you'll be forever changed.
    Sounds like you know your cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast