Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Jones

Default Thomas Jones

It sounds like there is a decent chance that Thomas Jones will be released by the Jets due to the emergence of Shonn Greene.

I think Jones could be the perfect complement to Charles. I don't think he would expect to be an every down back. He could be the "between the tackles" runner that we've been looking for to help Jamaal Charles.

NY Jets might release running back Thomas Jones if he doesn't take paycut | - NJ.com

Eh, I wouldn't mind having him, again, if the price is right, but if the jets are releasing him because he expects to be overpaid, I think we can do a little better than Thomas "Just Average" Jones.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    I think we can do a little better than Thomas "Just Average" Jones.
    "Just Average" Jones has run for over 1000 yards for each of the last 5 seasons and he had his personal best(1402 yrds) last year.

He's not a spring chicken, but we aren't going to get a spring chicken that is good that also wants to play 2nd fiddle to J Charles.

Thomas Jones: Career Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    "Just Average" Jones has run for over 1000 yards for each of the last 5 seasons and he had his personal best(1402 yrds) last year.

He's not a spring chicken, but we aren't going to get a spring chicken that is good that also wants to play 2nd fiddle to J Charles.

Thomas Jones: Career Stats
    I just don't see what Jones would do for us that LJ couldn't. He's been putting up 4-5 yard averages largely due to his line and TRich. He doesn't have great speed and he isn't very elusive. He's a ground and pound (as the Jets would say) guy that doesn't fumble. It sounds like a decent combination, but until our line gets up to par he's going to be running into the backs of blockers and stuffed in the backfield. If we have to pony up cash for a player I'd prefer one that is capable of making his own yards.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    I just don't see what Jones would do for us that LJ couldn't. He's been putting up 4-5 yard averages largely due to his line and TRich. He doesn't have great speed and he isn't very elusive. He's a ground and pound (as the Jets would say) guy that doesn't fumble. It sounds like a decent combination, but until our line gets up to par he's going to be running into the backs of blockers and stuffed in the backfield. If we have to pony up cash for a player I'd prefer one that is capable of making his own yards.
    So......

What are we looking for then?

I agree that we are not going to be able to run between the tackles consistently either way.

But what are we looking for in a "Change of pace back" if not exactly Thomas Jones?

And what he could bring that LJ didn't is a team mentallity.

The willingness to run outside, block, and do whatever is asked of him, during the game.

With LJ, he refused to put any effort into anything, aside from running between the tackles. And that is what made him, and our offense, so incredibly predictable, and easy to defend.

When LJ was in our backfield, everyone knew that we were going to pass, or run up the gut.

With Jones, and almost any other HB that we could put into that role, there would always be the threat of a running play to the outside.

I think, if we were to get him, Jones would be exactly what we are looking for.

Who ever we pick up will have to run thru the same creases that JC does. I exspect to pick up more OL, but a hugh improvement in the blocking probably won;t happen.

Keep in mind the Jets have the best run blocking O-Line in the league. You have to wonder just how effective Thomas Jones would be behind our line..

That and he'll be 32. I'm ready for a young bruiser, so we can hopefully have our backfield set for the next 8 years.

What concerns me is his atttitude. He want's to be a starter.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I would not mind haveing Jones in KC at all. Hes a good RB. He wont blow you away but he can be a good Backup Rb.

Thomas Jones has always flown under the radar. He didn't have a great OL in Chicago. And the Jets OL wasn't considered great until last season.

I'm not saying that the Chiefs can't live without him. I'm just saying that TJ is used to sharing the load with a player very similar to Jamaal(Leon Washington). It led to the Jets leading the league in rushing.

We want a between the tackles runner, that won't break the bank, that is willing to not be the feature back, but that can carry the load if Jamaal goes down.

Jones is that guy. Chester Taylor would be a more expensive option.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast