Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the Chiefs draft a LT with #5

Very interesting read!

I'm in agreement with this, we have too many holes to fill. Alberts position is one of my least concerns on the team. As long as the WR can't get open we and the QB doesn't know when to get rid of the ball we will have a lot of sacks.
    Just having a running game changed everything makes every one else look better. Imagine what a real good receiver or tight end that can always get open and can catch everthing thrown their way would do to this team.Maybe I'm dreaming but it sure is a sweet thought.

I really want Berry if hes there at the five spot!!!!
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 02-25-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: to add I want Berry if hes there at the five spot

Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

First of all, who says you can't take Pouncey in the second as well as Okung in the first?

Okung, Waters, Pouncey, Albert, Taylor.

Second of all, anyone who takes Terrence Cody in the second is a fool. The guy has zero technique, and his weight is fat, not strength.

You don't draft Dan Williams #5 overall. You don't. You don't spend THREE TOP FIVE PICKS on a 3-4 defensive line. YOU DON'T.

Eric Berry is very good. However, no safety drafted that high has panned out. Why is that? Is there a curse? No...it's more likely that teams drafting in the top five do not have the integral parts of a good defense that would allow a safety to have a massive impact.

ed reed! troy polamalu! bob sanders! brian dawkins!

Yeah, they all came onto teams that were winners with stout defenses or top offenses, or both. None of them were drafted in the top 5.

Safety simply as important as linemen are. Why? Because if you have a great safety and a horrible front 7, the safety cannot contribute as well as if he's playing behind stout run defense.

So you think Albert was actually much better than it seems last year? Okay, I'll give you that. maybe it's possible that Albert had a tough time adjusting to his new blocking scheme. But stop saying the weight thing. It makes zero sense. Zero. That 30 pounds did not make him incapable of blocking. He didn't lose 30 pounds of strength. And any leverage he lost should have been more than made up for in quickness and stamina.

If it gets to #5 and we take Berry with all tackles still available, fine. I'm not going to moan about it. Berry is a serious playmaker. But to sit there and say that we should NOT improve our offensive line is just ridiculous. We aren't paying Branden Albert left tackle money. We're not even paying him free agent RIGHT tackle money. He can be shifted quite easily. A lot of fans are against it, because they were calling for us to draft him. guess what? he hasn't played like a franchise left tackle. he's been good, not great. DEMAND GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

First of all, who says you can't take Pouncey in the second as well as Okung in the first?

Okung, Waters, Pouncey, Albert, Taylor.

Second of all, anyone who takes Terrence Cody in the second is a fool. The guy has zero technique, and his weight is fat, not strength.

You don't draft Dan Williams #5 overall. You don't. You don't spend THREE TOP FIVE PICKS on a 3-4 defensive line. YOU DON'T.

Eric Berry is very good. However, no safety drafted that high has panned out. Why is that? Is there a curse? No...it's more likely that teams drafting in the top five do not have the integral parts of a good defense that would allow a safety to have a massive impact.

ed reed! troy polamalu! bob sanders! brian dawkins!

Yeah, they all came onto teams that were winners with stout defenses or top offenses, or both. None of them were drafted in the top 5.

Safety simply as important as linemen are. Why? Because if you have a great safety and a horrible front 7, the safety cannot contribute as well as if he's playing behind stout run defense.

So you think Albert was actually much better than it seems last year? Okay, I'll give you that. maybe it's possible that Albert had a tough time adjusting to his new blocking scheme. But stop saying the weight thing. It makes zero sense. Zero. That 30 pounds did not make him incapable of blocking. He didn't lose 30 pounds of strength. And any leverage he lost should have been more than made up for in quickness and stamina.

If it gets to #5 and we take Berry with all tackles still available, fine. I'm not going to moan about it. Berry is a serious playmaker. But to sit there and say that we should NOT improve our offensive line is just ridiculous. We aren't paying Branden Albert left tackle money. We're not even paying him free agent RIGHT tackle money. He can be shifted quite easily. A lot of fans are against it, because they were calling for us to draft him. guess what? he hasn't played like a franchise left tackle. he's been good, not great. DEMAND GREAT.
    actually pioli drafted D-linemen for the patriots in the first round in 2001, 2003, and 2004...now granted they werent all top 5s and im not saying williams is a sure thing but i wouldnt underestimate piolis resolve

okung is no upgrade to albert plain and simple...plus albert has never played on the right side of the line in his entire career...actually albert losing weight forced him to rely on technique...in his rookie year he could essentially cheat on his technique because of his size...and he may not be any less strong but i bet you its a hell of a lot easier for a 250 lb OLB to move a 295lb tackle than a 330lb one...im sorry if you demand him to be an allpro left tackle in his second year in the league...however unrealistic your aspirations are i believe albert at left tackle has a career season in 2010

and about cody...he is fat plain and simple and hes a huge gamble...but his technique is one of his stronger points..i dont know where you are getting information about him having zero technique

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    actually pioli drafted D-linemen for the patriots in the first round in 2001, 2003, and 2004...now granted they werent all top 5s and im not saying williams is a sure thing but i wouldnt underestimate piolis resolve

okung is no upgrade to albert plain and simple...plus albert has never played on the right side of the line in his entire career...actually albert losing weight forced him to rely on technique...in his rookie year he could essentially cheat on his technique because of his size...and he may not be any less strong but i bet you its a hell of a lot easier for a 250 lb OLB to move a 295lb tackle than a 330lb one...im sorry if you demand him to be an allpro left tackle in his second year in the league...however unrealistic your aspirations are i believe albert at left tackle has a career season in 2010
    I don't really get the obsession with keeping Albert at LT. He wasn't a LT in college, wasn't projected as a franchise LT, and he hasn't been very good as a LT in the pros so far. He isn't paid LT money either.

Drafting a true franchise LT and putting Albert in his projected position (Guard) coming out of college upgrades two positions for the price of one.

actually most people projected him as a franchise LT coming into the draft..

in his rookie season he played very well..he had a bad sophomore year as a result of intangibles

and who says that a drafted LT will even be an upgrade over albert? many have said that this years LT class is poor compared to years before

do you people even do research?

people obsess over keeping albert at LT because it is not a position of need..and with all the gaping wholes in our team we cant afford to throw away a first round pick
    Last edited by whatwasthat?; 02-26-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Okung just had the most bench press reps among offensive tackles at the combine, and also measured in with extremely long arms.

I hope we get him.

tank tyler had the most bench press reps out of any DT in the draft and look how well he turned out for us

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    actually most people projected him as a franchise LT coming into the draft..
    Not as I recall. I clearly remember Mel Kiper's exact words, "Pro Bowl caliber Guard with the ability to play tackle."

you dont draft an OL in the top 10 with the intention to play him at G

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast