Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Williams vs. Eric Berry - Pioli's Shoes -

Default Dan Williams vs. Eric Berry - Pioli's Shoes -

N.Suh, R.Okung, G.McCoy and best QB are all off the board....

It is looking more and more likely we will have a very similar situation in the 2010 draft as last year taking Tyson Jackson (a 10-16 overall projection) over one of the top defensive playmakers in the draft (Aaron Curry, a top 3 overall projection)

Dan Williams. - 6ft2, 325 pound 3-4 Nose Tackle. Best NT prospect in the draft, without a question (same thing as T.Jackson for best 3-4 DE in the 2009 draft)....he is being projected anywhere from 10-20 in most mocks right now.

Eric Berry - the big name, sexy pick. Flashy, Freak like combine numbers, size, speed, great interviews. He has it all. He has the hype too. He is being compared to Ed Reed. He is being projected anywhere from 2-8 in most mocks.

Who would you pick between the two? And who would Pioli pick between the two lol ?

I would not be the least bit surprised (or dissapointed for that matter) to see Pioli reach again for a hard to find, young, talented NT. We are already seeing teams re-signing theirs (Wilfork, C.Hampton with PIT, A.Franklin of SF, etc.) so it is obvious that position is very coveted and hard to come by. Pioli has proved in the past he doesn't care about hype, and he also values position over ability.

I would personally go Berry though (and try to get Cam Thomas with the next pick at 36 overall or whatever to ensure you get a NT). You will still be reaching for Thomas a bit, but you are already reaching for Williams so what's the difference?

My point for Berry---> He would dominate the AFC West QB's (Russel, Orton, and Rivers who is the only thing on SD thats window is not closing), along with really improving our passing defense, turnovers, and run support too. Cam Thomas may not be the BEST Nose prospect in the draft, but he is certainly one of the top 3. I just look at what Sharper did for the saints, and Polamalu for the Steelers, Reed for the Ravens, and they all create huge turnovers. Game changing plays. We need more of those!

If they go NT at 5, it will mean we have to try and strike lightning with a Safety, which is what scares me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    I dunno how i feel about this. Berry is a playmaker but everyone knows the backend of the D is only as good as the front 7. ANYONE will get burnt if the QB has enough time.

I wish we could trade 2a and a 5th to get back into the 1st and get Dan williams around 20. How nice would that be? Berry at #5 and Williams around #20.

I dunno i don't know how i feel about this cause i really like both. The issue is if we take Dan there is not another safety in the draft like berry, if we take berry there are a couple other prospects we could go for, Cam Thomas being one of them.
    I won't be shocked if its Williams, in fact that is what I expect. Berry is a better safety than Williams is NT, but Pioli values one position over the other.

The most pressing need on our team is stopping the run, we gave up some long runs but we simply couldn't stop anyone in the short run game and that is more likely to lead to a pick being used there, IMO.

So for the record, I'd rather have Berry and as you mentioned, get a Cam Thomas later. Thomas won't make it out of the 2nd though, there are too many teams running a 3-4 now.

I'm not sure which direction they go. But I do belive there is a bigger drop off in talent at NT than there is at safety. You can still get starting safeties in the 3rd round. Any 3rd round NT is going to be a project at best.

This should not even be a question Berry at #5 and a NT later, If they pass on Berry it could be the straw that broke the camels back for some people and maybe the Chiefs. JMO

Berry without a doubt. Playmaker, game changer. Those are the type of players the chiefs need to go after.

Anthony Davis.

But to play nice and answer your question...

I think that the dropoff in talent between Berry and the best safety in the second round is significantly greater than the difference between Dan Williams and Cam Thomas.

I also think that having 3 straight defensive linemen picked in the top five is pushing it. I would be more than happy to trade Dorsey if we could get a mid-first rounder for him, and then take Williams or Cody in the first as well as Berry.

We need a playmaker in the secondary. Flowers can't do it alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12