Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : A Different View On Free Agency ? Krayfish Sounds Off

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,949
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 27

    Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : A Different View On Free Agency ? Krayfish Sounds Off


    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas city, MO
    Posts
    2,242
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Kind of wordy, but a good read.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,868
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 18

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Some decent points, but I don't agree with most of it. He talks to how teams like the Steelers and Cowboys are perennial contenders, and makes the assumption that they go out and sign huge free agents. What big names have those teams signed this year again? The fact of the matter is that there are only so many good players to go around in free agency. Look at who the most prized FA was last year--Albert Haynesworth. The Redskins go out and give him a $100 million dollar contract, and look at them! We beat them last year and they are picking before us in the draft.

    The fact of the matter is that the Steelers and Cowboys HAVE built their teams through the draft. Look at their teams right now! What about how bad the Cowboys got burned when they traded for Roy Williams? A 1st, 3rd, and 6th for a guy that has 1026 receiving yards.......in 30 GAMES! This isn't Major League Baseball where one pitcher or batter can turn your team from pretender to contender.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,372
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 71

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Some decent points, but I don't agree with most of it. He talks to how teams like the Steelers and Cowboys are perennial contenders, and makes the assumption that they go out and sign huge free agents. What big names have those teams signed this year again? The fact of the matter is that there are only so many good players to go around in free agency. Look at who the most prized FA was last year--Albert Haynesworth. The Redskins go out and give him a $100 million dollar contract, and look at them! We beat them last year and they are picking before us in the draft.

    The fact of the matter is that the Steelers and Cowboys HAVE built their teams through the draft. Look at their teams right now! What about how bad the Cowboys got burned when they traded for Roy Williams? A 1st, 3rd, and 6th for a guy that has 1026 receiving yards.......in 30 GAMES! This isn't Major League Baseball where one pitcher or batter can turn your team from pretender to contender.
    Hayensworth is a great example of your point. The fact is that not getting the big names in FA is a more proven way to do things. Its better to go out sign the guys who while they have talent are not the big names and use the draft. Thats how you build a team that is going to be good year in and year out. You can NOT build a team just useing the draft or just useing FA. You have to have a good balance of the to. Yes you get a team here and a team there that signs the big name and is able to get to a superbowl. That is not the spot that we are in right now. While I think that we are closer then alot of people think even some who post on this site. I think its clear that right now we are more then 1 player away. While signing all the big names does get you excited and sounds good on paper its just not the best proven way to be good every year. Either way I still say 19-0 and a superbowl win this year. I dont no any other way to go into a season. GO CHIEFS!!!!

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    305
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Some decent points, but I don't agree with most of it. He talks to how teams like the Steelers and Cowboys are perennial contenders, and makes the assumption that they go out and sign huge free agents. What big names have those teams signed this year again? The fact of the matter is that there are only so many good players to go around in free agency. Look at who the most prized FA was last year--Albert Haynesworth. The Redskins go out and give him a $100 million dollar contract, and look at them! We beat them last year and they are picking before us in the draft.

    The fact of the matter is that the Steelers and Cowboys HAVE built their teams through the draft. Look at their teams right now! What about how bad the Cowboys got burned when they traded for Roy Williams? A 1st, 3rd, and 6th for a guy that has 1026 receiving yards.......in 30 GAMES! This isn't Major League Baseball where one pitcher or batter can turn your team from pretender to contender.

    i dont think he was making the point that the cowboys and steelers go out and get all the free agent signings they can...i think he was trying to say that they have found what works for them and makes them consistently winning teams...and since what we have been doing isnt working, maybe its time to try something different

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,191
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    i dont think he was making the point that the cowboys and steelers go out and get all the free agent signings they can...i think he was trying to say that they have found what works for them and makes them consistently winning teams...and since what we have been doing isnt working, maybe its time to try something different
    You don't think we are trying something different? From the owner down to the equipment manger and everyone in between have seen turnovers. What more can be done at this time? Over paying for a few free agents? That has really helped the Redskins and Dan Snyder hasn't it?

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,372
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 71

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    i dont think he was making the point that the cowboys and steelers go out and get all the free agent signings they can...i think he was trying to say that they have found what works for them and makes them consistently winning teams...and since what we have been doing isnt working, maybe its time to try something different
    We are trying something diffrent for most of the 2000s we tried building teams through the free agent market. It didnt work. Then we changed to building through the draft. It just takes a while to see the results. This is only about the 3rd season that we are going mostly through the draft. But we are doing something different.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,868
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 18

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    i dont think he was making the point that the cowboys and steelers go out and get all the free agent signings they can...i think he was trying to say that they have found what works for them and makes them consistently winning teams...and since what we have been doing isnt working, maybe its time to try something different
    Thanks for pointing that out. I went and reread the article and I now have a different take on it. Nevertheless, the guy makes it seem like this "formula" that the Steelers and Cowboys have is simple and that any team can do it. That's just not true.

    The Chiefs have cleaned house, from players, to coaches, to the front office management. They've brought in proven winners to the front office and coaching staff, and now they are trying to build this team piece by piece until it is perfected. I have to admit, I love the approach that they are taking. I truly believe that it takes a while to build a dynasty, but once it's there, it's hard to take down.

    I don't really like making this comparison, because people now like to call us the Kansas City Patriots, but look at that team in the mid 2000's. That team was built by having solid draft after solid draft, with some key, yet cheap FA acquisitions/trades (Randy Moss for a 4th rounder). Mr. Pioli is doing the same thing here, and I can't wait to see what's in store for the Chiefs in this new decade.

    This guy's article is really just a longwinded rant that offers his extremely biased opinions and provides no factual evidence supporting anything he says.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Joplin, Missouri
    Posts
    395
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    This isn't Major League Baseball where one pitcher or batter can turn your team from pretender to contender.
    *COUGH* BRET FAVRE! *COUGH*

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,868
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 18

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    *COUGH* BRET FAVRE! *COUGH*
    Fair enough...The Vikings had a lot of other pieces in place though. They were a QB away from being contender. Solid D, solid run game. There's always exceptions, but no one player is going to fix the Chiefs.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Pioli On Free Agency
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM
  2. ChiefsCrowd.com Article : O'er the Land of the Free....
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
  3. are you happy with free agency mentality
    By slc chief in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM
  4. ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Chiefs Roster before Free Agency
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
  5. Free Agency....what to do, what to do...
    By jakesmith in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •