Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : A Different View On Free Agency ? Krayfish Sounds Off

Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : A Different View On Free Agency ? Krayfish Sounds Off

Kind of wordy, but a good read.

Some decent points, but I don't agree with most of it. He talks to how teams like the Steelers and Cowboys are perennial contenders, and makes the assumption that they go out and sign huge free agents. What big names have those teams signed this year again? The fact of the matter is that there are only so many good players to go around in free agency. Look at who the most prized FA was last year--Albert Haynesworth. The Redskins go out and give him a $100 million dollar contract, and look at them! We beat them last year and they are picking before us in the draft.

The fact of the matter is that the Steelers and Cowboys HAVE built their teams through the draft. Look at their teams right now! What about how bad the Cowboys got burned when they traded for Roy Williams? A 1st, 3rd, and 6th for a guy that has 1026 receiving yards.......in 30 GAMES! This isn't Major League Baseball where one pitcher or batter can turn your team from pretender to contender.

lol i hate the cowboys almost as much as i hate the donkeys. LOVE the detroit lions, and barry sanders though. So i was sad to see Roy Williams who was awesome in DET leave for declining DAL...him + calvin johnson would have been nasty together but its hard not to give up williams when you get that kind of compensation in return. Especially when there are so many holes to fill on the team, so they had one receiver to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Some decent points, but I don't agree with most of it. He talks to how teams like the Steelers and Cowboys are perennial contenders, and makes the assumption that they go out and sign huge free agents. What big names have those teams signed this year again? The fact of the matter is that there are only so many good players to go around in free agency. Look at who the most prized FA was last year--Albert Haynesworth. The Redskins go out and give him a $100 million dollar contract, and look at them! We beat them last year and they are picking before us in the draft.

The fact of the matter is that the Steelers and Cowboys HAVE built their teams through the draft. Look at their teams right now! What about how bad the Cowboys got burned when they traded for Roy Williams? A 1st, 3rd, and 6th for a guy that has 1026 receiving yards.......in 30 GAMES! This isn't Major League Baseball where one pitcher or batter can turn your team from pretender to contender.
    Hayensworth is a great example of your point. The fact is that not getting the big names in FA is a more proven way to do things. Its better to go out sign the guys who while they have talent are not the big names and use the draft. Thats how you build a team that is going to be good year in and year out. You can NOT build a team just useing the draft or just useing FA. You have to have a good balance of the to. Yes you get a team here and a team there that signs the big name and is able to get to a superbowl. That is not the spot that we are in right now. While I think that we are closer then alot of people think even some who post on this site. I think its clear that right now we are more then 1 player away. While signing all the big names does get you excited and sounds good on paper its just not the best proven way to be good every year. Either way I still say 19-0 and a superbowl win this year. I dont no any other way to go into a season. GO CHIEFS!!!!

Well the main thing I have against the reply is he did not take in to effect all the changes that have happened to the Chiefs. Even owners changed just a couple of years ago most coaches have changed even the front offices are having large turnovers. If you keep the same CEO, CFO and HR people you are going to have the same results/trends but when they all turn over there just might be changes.

Besides I can remember when the Cowboys were down before they got a couple of good drafts (Aikman, Irving and Smith) Aikmans 1st year they were 1-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

i dont think he was making the point that the cowboys and steelers go out and get all the free agent signings they can...i think he was trying to say that they have found what works for them and makes them consistently winning teams...and since what we have been doing isnt working, maybe its time to try something different

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    i dont think he was making the point that the cowboys and steelers go out and get all the free agent signings they can...i think he was trying to say that they have found what works for them and makes them consistently winning teams...and since what we have been doing isnt working, maybe its time to try something different
    You don't think we are trying something different? From the owner down to the equipment manger and everyone in between have seen turnovers. What more can be done at this time? Over paying for a few free agents? That has really helped the Redskins and Dan Snyder hasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    We are trying something diffrent for most of the 2000s we tried building teams through the free agent market. It didnt work. Then we changed to building through the draft. It just takes a while to see the results. This is only about the 3rd season that we are going mostly through the draft. But we are doing something different.

i was trying to elaborate on his words...not mine...dont get ants in your pants guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast