Thread: Chiefscrazy's mock w trade down & realistic FA's

Default Chiefscrazy's mock w trade down & realistic FA's

Just thought I would take a shot at how I think the rest of the off-season might play out, but not particularly exactly how I personally want it to go...

***Chiefs trade #5 to BUF for #9 & #105 + conditional 2011 pick & SS/FS Donte Whitner*** -

With both Okung & Berry already taken, we find a last minute partner & trade down for a high 4th & Donte Whitner, but still get the prospect that we were most likely going to take at #5 anyway. Whitner is young & versatile & can play SS, FS & perhaps nickle back for us. Donte was stuck behind a couple of starting safety's in Buffalo, but should win our starting SS spot IMO...

***FA pickups ( * = already signed FA)***

*RB Thomas Jones (NYJ)

*WR Jerheme Urban (AZ)

G/T Chester Pitts (HOU)

*DL Shaun Smith (CIN)

ILB Andra Davis (DEN)

Rush OLB Joey Porter (MIA)

CB Phillip Buchanon (DET)

DE Taylor Brayton (CAR)

I realize that not all of these FA's will make the team, but the ones that prove to the FO that they are one of the right 53 probably will...

***1st 5 Picks***

1 STL Suh - The Rams trade for one of Philly's QB's so that they can snag Kong...
    2 DET McCoy
    3 TB Berry
    4 WAS Okung
    5 BUF Bradford (from KC)

***Chiefs Draft***

#9 NT Dan Williams (Tennessee) - We solidify the middle of our D for years to come with the best 3-4 NT in the draft.

#36 WR Golden Tate (ND) - With Gresham, Pouncy, Hughes & Kindle all taken before this pick, Tate gets the nod with a solid endorsement from Weis & steps right in as our slot & helps out in the return game too.

#50 TE Rob Gronkowski (Arizona) - While his injury history is still a concern, he passes the physical & proves he is healthy at his personal pro day in late March. Rob is arguably the best all around TE in this draft class & could be the long term answer to solve our recent TE woes.

#69 DE/OLB Koa Misi (Utah) - After missing out on our primary rush OLB prospects, we take Misi here, who should help generate pressure on opposing QB's.

#100 OG Mike Johnson (Alabama) - Has dropped because of a disappointing combine, but should develop into a solid guard for our system.

#105 OC Eric Olson (ND) - Weis lobbys for another one of his guys here & Olson is versatile & hopefully steals the starting Center gig from Rudy.

5a OT Selvish Capers (West Virginia) - If Okung had dropped to us he might have been our 1st pick, but we settle on Capers here who should be a good fit for the ZBS & develop him for future duty at RT or LT.

5b ILB Micah Johnson (Kentucky) - He slides due to a unimpressive 40 time & injury concerns. With the signings of Davis & Porter our LB cores is pretty set for now, giving us the luxury of slowly developing Johnson & Misi.

5c RB Joique Bell (Wayne St) - I have really developed a man crush on this guy & he should get some carries while he is groomed behind Jones.

I tried to get into Pioli's head a bit by adding older veteran stopgap FA signings & drafting prospects to develop behind them.

Not my ideal mock, but I could see the off-season playing out something like this & while I would not be ecstatic, I would be pretty darn satisfied if this is how it went.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this mock guys!

I love the idea of trading down. I really don't think there is any way that the Chiefs will take a safety at #5. I also don't think the Chiefs will draft a LT based upon the news of both Weigman and Lilja coming to town. I think that news makes it even more likely that Albert stays at LT.

So I think it's likely that we go LB(McClain) or NT(Williams) with the 1st pick. Both should be available at #9.

It will also be interesting to see what happens if both Golden Tate and TCody are sitting on the board when we pick at #36. Assuming we don't take Dan Williams in the 1st round. We need LB depth in a big way. Based upon our free agency visits so far, I think LB looks like the obvious 1st round pick, but we'll see.

The Chargers are taking Cody in the first round. We;ll probably have to get Cam Thomas at 2a.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    The Chargers are taking Cody in the first round. We;ll probably have to get Cam Thomas at 2a.
    You don't think they'll go RB?

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    You don't think they'll go RB?
    RB is deep in this draft, they will be able to get a good one later.

Great post. I love the idea of trading down and also acquiring Donte Whitner.

I would not be to upset if all that happen. I do like that draft. Its getting closer and closer to the draft.

That would be great, but BUF would never go for that trade. Whitner was a first round pick a few years ago and was at one point a bright young safety. For them to give up a 4th rounder this year and a later pick next year, AND Whitner....just to move up 4 spots? I assume you have them trading up for a QB ala Mark Sanchez and the Jets? I could see something like that happening, but that is an awful lot of compensation to move up 4 spots...

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    That would be great, but BUF would never go for that trade. Whitner was a first round pick a few years ago and was at one point a bright young safety. For them to give up a 4th rounder this year and a later pick next year, AND Whitner....just to move up 4 spots? I assume you have them trading up for a QB ala Mark Sanchez and the Jets? I could see something like that happening, but that is an awful lot of compensation to move up 4 spots...
    I was browsing on a Bills forum & they seemed to put Whitner's value as a 3rd rounder, he has been buried on the depth chart & has not showed them enough to be a starter, which is why he might be available for 3rd round value. Also, you have probably noticed that draft pick values are up & player values are down - ie the Boldin trade etc...

What about a solid TE? Do we need another defensive line drafted high?

I'm not saying go after Ahern in the first round but I do like Golden Tate. I still think we might be able to snag AHern in the 4th round.

Ahern has good blocking abilities, great hands, and is hard to bring down. He's not the fastest in the world or the biggest but could fall to us in the 3rd.