Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Default Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Source Kent Babb via Twitter:

Chiefs confirm that Ryan Lilja has signed.
    Another solid piece to the puzzle that is this team

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Ok, Wikipedia cleared it up some for me. Sounds like it relies on a lot of double teams initially and then breaking off to take out linebackers. I'm really simplifying it, but hey, I hope it's effective.
    What is seldom included is the fact that, with undersized o-linemen, blocking low (below the waist) is quite common, as the players are overmatched by bigger, stronger defenders.

The result, when employing the Shanahan "zone-blocking" is a regular execution of high risk double team blocks, with one blocker going low, and another going high. This is also illegal, but very difficult to watch for. And is not neccessarily an intended effect, yet a known factor.

The refusal to get players that can stand toe-to-toe with big defenders and actually better the opponent, for a plan that is duck and undercut superior players is chicken-s**t.

Once we have injured a few players around the league, the rest of The NFL will learn to fear the cheapshot from us, and defenses will not be able to play the same against us.

It is what made The Broncos so detestable. And now we are all gonna to have to flip-flop and start trying to defend being the scumbags of the league.

I am guessing that that will start right here.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    What is seldom included is the fact that, with undersized o-linemen, blocking low (below the waist) is quite common, as the players are overmatched by bigger, stronger defenders.

The result, when employing the Shanahan "zone-blocking" is a regular execution of high risk double team blocks, with one blocker going low, and another going high. This is also illegal, but very difficult to watch for. And is not neccessarily an intended effect, yet a known factor.

The refusal to get players that can stand toe-to-toe with big defenders and actually better the opponent, for a plan that is duck and undercut superior players is chicken-s**t.

Once we have injured a few players around the league, the rest of The NFL will learn to fear the cheapshot from us, and defenses will not be able to play the same against us.

It is what made The Broncos so detestable. And now we are all gonna to have to flip-flop and start trying to defend being the scumbags of the league.

I am guessing that that will start right here.
    So we should expect a lot of chop block penalties nonetheless huh?

I agree, I'd rather have a huge OL that punishes and wears down the other team's DL. I want an OL that can push the DL backwards, especially in short yardage situations.

i love this signing were gonna take berry with our first draft a nt a te then draft o lineman behind them

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    So we should expect a lot of chop block penalties nonetheless huh?

I agree, I'd rather have a huge OL that punishes and wears down the other team's DL. I want an OL that can push the DL backwards, especially in short yardage situations.
    Interior chop blocks are not only difficult for refs to see, but they are not something that The NFL has shown much concern for because the players who get hurt are generally defensive linemen that few people really concern themselves with. If the result was alot of injuries to "glory positions" like QB, WR or RB, then there would be a far greater emphasis on it.

So, while we won't see alot of flags, as a O-line watcher, I will see a whole of penalties being comitted. And a likley increase of injured opponents.

Great news, I think that now complete our OL, and i thin'k we will not draft in 1 st round LT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Interior chop blocks are not only difficult for refs to see, but they are not something that The NFL has shown much concern for because the players who get hurt are generally defensive linemen that few people really concern themselves with. If the result was alot of injuries to "glory positions" like QB, WR or RB, then there would be a far greater emphasis on it.

So, while we won't see alot of flags, as a O-line watcher, I will see a whole of penalties being comitted. And a likley increase of injured opponents.
    I understand your concern, but a zone blocking scheme isn't equatable with chop blocking. Like you said, the SHANNAHAN zone blocking scheme. Well, that's shannahan. He doesn't run the only zone scheme in the league.

Zone blocking is just that - zone. You are not responsible for a specific player, so you don't have linemen who get turned around trying to "find their guy". This greatly diminishes a defense's ability to create mismatches along the front.

there are a number of teams who run a zone blocking scheme, yet you never hear anything about them being dirty. The broncos had dirty players coached by dirty coaches. You can double team defenders going side to side, you don't have to go high low. You can also go high low without going below the knee, and staying at the waist. the problem with the broncos was that they were TOLD to break the rules and go for the knees. INSTRUCTED TO TAKE OUT THE KNEES. It is illegal and dangerous.

In short, zone blocking does NOT equal dirty blocking.
    Last edited by SAPHOJUNKIE; 03-16-2010 at 05:23 PM.

more help for the O line thats a good thing. GO CHIEFS

This should open of the welcome wagon for Eric Berry! Also, it is really nice to see you guys type that O Line. Do it again! it is great!

Great job pioli.We can really work on the D-fense in the draft.I say Berry if we go D-fense and Dez Bryant if we go offense.Could you see Dez Bryant,D-Bowe,Chambers,JC,and Jones.Sounds like A great offense to me.If you go the other way with it.I mean on the D-fense.Adding Berry and MT Cody.That would be great improvement to the D-fense.Just my input.Anyway it will be interesting come draft day.Go Chiefs

Maybe even add Shipley or Dez Briscoe to the mix in like the third round of the draft.Could you See two Dez's on the team.Dez Bryant and Dez Briscoe.Anyway,just another thought.Probably wont happen.lol

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast