Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Default Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Source Kent Babb via Twitter:

Chiefs confirm that Ryan Lilja has signed.
    Another solid piece to the puzzle that is this team

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I'm glad to have him on the team, but I'm not really that excited. He's pretty undersized for a guard, listed at 6'2" 290lbs. I think that directly relates to his struggles in run blocking, and why the Colts ultimately released him. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but I have my doubts.
    Actually his strength is run blocking, not pass blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    I understand your concern, but a zone blocking scheme isn't equatable with chop blocking. Like you said, the SHANNAHAN zone blocking scheme. Well, that's shannahan. He doesn't run the only zone scheme in the league.

Zone blocking is just that - zone. You are not responsible for a specific player, so you don't have linemen who get turned around trying to "find their guy". This greatly diminishes a defense's ability to create mismatches along the front.

there are a number of teams who run a zone blocking scheme, yet you never hear anything about them being dirty. The broncos had dirty players coached by dirty coaches. You can double team defenders going side to side, you don't have to go high low. You can also go high low without going below the knee, and staying at the waist. the problem with the broncos was that they were TOLD to break the rules and go for the knees. INSTRUCTED TO TAKE OUT THE KNEES. It is illegal and dangerous.

In short, zone blocking does NOT equal dirty blocking.
    I still hate the Broncos.
    Resident Ambassador!

Quote Originally Posted by slimdagreat View Post
    Actually his strength is run blocking, not pass blocking.
    I have a hard time believing that. Mostly because the Colts are one of the top passing teams, but were 31st in ypc and dead last in rushing yards. It seems illogical to release a good run blocker when that is obviously not their strong point.

This is why in my opinion, I would have to think that Lilja is a good pass blocker because his size allows him to be a liitle more agile than most, but also prevents him from being a decent run blocker than can push large interior linemen back. Now this is all just the logic running through my head, I've never watched him play, so my assumptions could very well be wrong.

Seems like we still need a true left tackle. Not that Alberts bad, he just isn't suited for it.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I have a hard time believing that. Mostly because the Colts are one of the top passing teams, but were 31st in ypc and dead last in rushing yards. It seems illogical to release a good run blocker when that is obviously not their strong point.

This is why in my opinion, I would have to think that Lilja is a good pass blocker because his size allows him to be a liitle more agile than most, but also prevents him from being a decent run blocker than can push large interior linemen back. Now this is all just the logic running through my head, I've never watched him play, so my assumptions could very well be wrong.
    I've watched quite a few Colts games and I think he is a much better run blocker than a pass blocker, but I'll qualify it by adding the Colts are a largely zone blocking OL when it comes to running the ball, so in actuality you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    For sure !! Eric Berry will look awesome as a CHIEF

I'm really hoping for Berry, many on here think he will get paid to much, there is not another player out there that would make a bigger and better immediate impact than Berry would. We have to give the money to someone, or trade spots.

Theres nothing that hurt us more last year than the big plays down the field.

Why do ppl believe that we wont draft a LT because of Lilja? The way I see it, we draft Okung or Bulaga with our first, that way our Oline will look like these:

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
    LG- Waters
    C - Wiegmann
    RG - Lilja
    RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything oes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
    LG- Albert
    C - Wiegmann (if hes still around)
    RG - Lilja
    RT -A mature and Better O'Callaghan
    Last edited by Argo; 03-16-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Why do ppl believe that we wont draft a LT because of Lilja? The way I see it, we draft Okung or Bulaga with our first, that way our Oline will look like these:

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
    LG- Waters
    C - Wiegmann
    RG - Lilja
    RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything oes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
    LG- Albert
    C - Wiegmann (if hes still around)
    RG - Lilja
    Exactly.
    Resident Ambassador!

Hopefully we can trade down with someone, picking up a second or third.

I would love to see us go offensive line twice in the first three rounds, but Wiegmann might have been brought in to prevent that. Still, let's not forget how many vets have been brought in and let go. Casey Wiegmann could easily be this year's zac thomas.

LT- Okung - Bulaga
    LG- Albert
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Lilja
    Last edited by SAPHOJUNKIE; 03-16-2010 at 10:11 PM.

OK since i've just gotten home from school and I've missed the past 49 posts of this thread, I'm just gonna ask. Who thinks this was a good move? I hadn't heard of the guy before sunday so I haven't made a decision yet.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast