Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Default Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Source Kent Babb via Twitter:

Chiefs confirm that Ryan Lilja has signed.
    Another solid piece to the puzzle that is this team

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Why do ppl believe that we wont draft a LT because of Lilja? The way I see it, we draft Okung or Bulaga with our first, that way our Oline will look like these:

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
    LG- Waters
    C - Wiegmann
    RG - Lilja
    RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything oes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
    LG- Albert
    C - Wiegmann (if hes still around)
    RG - Lilja
    RT -A mature and Better O'Callaghan
    Wiegman is more likely to retire... He will be 37 before opening day. Waters is 33... he could play for a few more years for sure. I think that wiegmann is a very temporary solution...

Quote Originally Posted by KCINNYC View Post
    I still hate the Broncos.

For some reason that made my day, just put a big old smile on my face. Kudos.

Welcome home Lilja!

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Why do ppl believe that we wont draft a LT because of Lilja? The way I see it, we draft Okung or Bulaga with our first, that way our Oline will look like these:

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
    LG- Waters
    C - Wiegmann
    RG - Lilja
    RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything goes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
    LG- Albert
    C - Wiegmann (if hes still around)
    RG - Lilja
    RT -A mature and Better O'Callaghan
    So two seasons at LT then move him to a completely different position of RT for a year (RT is completely different from LT) and then back over to left side to play guard? I would be shocked and dumb founded if this actually came to pass.

If I had my pick...

LT - Okung/Bulaga
    LG - Albert/Waters
    C - Weigmann/Waters
    RG - Lilja
    RT - O'Callaghan or 4th/5th round draft pick

This would give us a lock down left side with a right side that has room to grow. Just my two cents, then again ask 5 people a question and you'll get 6 answers.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    I understand your concern, but a zone blocking scheme isn't equatable with chop blocking. Like you said, the SHANNAHAN zone blocking scheme. Well, that's shannahan. He doesn't run the only zone scheme in the league.

Zone blocking is just that - zone. You are not responsible for a specific player, so you don't have linemen who get turned around trying to "find their guy". This greatly diminishes a defense's ability to create mismatches along the front.

there are a number of teams who run a zone blocking scheme, yet you never hear anything about them being dirty. The broncos had dirty players coached by dirty coaches. You can double team defenders going side to side, you don't have to go high low. You can also go high low without going below the knee, and staying at the waist. the problem with the broncos was that they were TOLD to break the rules and go for the knees. INSTRUCTED TO TAKE OUT THE KNEES. It is illegal and dangerous.

In short, zone blocking does NOT equal dirty blocking.
    Every blocking scheme in the NFL would actually qualify as a zone blocking scheme.

If the defenders stunt, a man blocking scheme would be ruined every play.

The thing that worries me the most is the undersized olinemen. Since they clearly aren't able to overpower the far stronger, bigger defenders, the only way to be effective is to block low.

Once one blocker decides he has to go low, his help will often be too close to change his mind.

I agree that Shanahan's Broncos were sometimes deliberately looking to injure opponents. But employing the miniature o-line seriously increases the risk of injury to the opponents.

The game is dangerous enough without taking advantage of reluctant, and blinded referees.

I have feared this move for quite some time. I am not about to abandon The Chiefs. But I will be very watchful of what this o-line does this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Berry!! Berry!! LJ is a fairy!!
    Berry!! Berry!! Chiefs are gonna be scary!!
    Ba ha ha ha! Epic win.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Berry!! Berry!! LJ is a fairy!!
    Berry!! Berry!! Chiefs are gonna be scary!!
    Oh man that deserves REP!

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Ok ok ok, we're all happy. Losing Lilja was one of many Carl Peterson blunders, and strangely enough one that he admitted was a mistake.

Having a probowl center and a super bowl starting right guard is definitely an upgrade, even if it's an upgrade over our backups.

However, I am still not on the the Berry Bandwagon. I have two reasons why:

1. Waters is getting old, and Wiegmann is old. In the next two years, both will likely need to have replacements.

2. Albert was one of the worst left tackles last year for allowing sacks. He gave up nine. i'm not saying he sucks, but we should not, in any way, feel that we are "set" at any position on the offensive line.

3. At the fifth pick, Berry would command 11 mil a year, making him the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN THE LEAGUE without ever playing a snap in the NFL. that means we could sign Polamalu, reed, Sanders, Dawkins, Rolle, anyone...and it would have been cheaper. It's just bad business. Even if berry comes in, and from day one, is the BEST safety in the league...he still would be overpaid for his position.

If Okung falls, you draft him. If he is gone, you look to trade out.

Our options:

1. trade down
    2. our highest rated left tackle
    3. second highest rated LT
    Nothing personal but I am glad Pioli and Haley are doing our draft and not you. With that said I am not on the Berry wagon but more along the lines of trying to pick up a good CB or even a WR for our number one pick. With all the dropped balls a high ranged WR would be good for me. FA is still rolling along and we could end up picking someone up in both of the positions. If Sharper is still available , maybe he would be a good pickup for Safety? Doing something like that would leave other positions open for the draft. As for my picks, I like to be closer to the draft date before I nail down my picks which normally do not match anything Pioli has done at NE or here last year. Maybe that is why he makes the big bucks .
    Chiefs Nation

waters and albert will be just fine, please dont worry about things that dont need worrying. The will be good and the right side is defintely the problem. Callaghan is not who i want as a starter. Thank God we got ryaan lilja as a RG. Now we can get a center in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by moshak View Post
    waters and albert will be just fine, please dont worry about things that dont need worrying. The will be good and the right side is defintely the problem. Callaghan is not who i want as a starter. Thank God we got ryaan lilja as a RG. Now we can get a center in the draft

Center in the drat? We got Weigann. Berry or NT in the draft!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast