Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I used to like Vermeil

Default I used to like Vermeil

Until this... yuck:

"While popular opinion might suggest that Johnson was brought to town to back up Clinton Portis, one of Johnson's former coaches has a bold prediction. "He will take over the running back position," said Dick Vermeil, who coached Johnson in Kansas City from 2003 to '05. "That's what I think. He'll push that guy right out of a job." Reported by the Washington Post

The Redskins signed Johnson last week to a three-year contract. Portis, who missed the final eight games last season after suffering a season-ending concussion, returns for his ninth NFL season. He's been the Redskins' starter since joining the team in 2004. Though he's two years older than Portis, Johnson has 755 fewer carries. While the two might begin training camp sharing the workload, Vermeil expects Johnson to open eyes at practice. He says Johnson helped push Priest Holmes, the Chiefs' incumbent running back in Kansas City seven years ago, and Vermeil says he'll push Portis now -- until he surpasses him."
    -tg1979

LJ > Portis. I think LJ will get the starting job as well. Portis and a late round RB will also battle for carries with him though. With that said, Vermeil is still the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    It's all about winning and I absolutely believe that if he were still here and they improve the line as they appear to be doing, he would have had another dominating year! 1500+ and 15+ TD's
    I see...get a great O line again and LJ will be good again. How about we keep the better RB (Charles) and just let him be better than LJ no matter what line is in front of him. The big difference being that JC is good and LJ is as good as his O line (Which is sh!t in Was) Makes sense, I think LJ is awesome now too!!

PS I love all you speculation on how he would have been or could have been. How many yards and TDs do you honestly think he will get wish the Skns this year?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Im sure most of that is because I was not a member of this site when LJ was producing. I liked LJ, I have his jersey hanging in my garage. It was not until later in his career when he started acting like an As$ that I stopped caring about the guy. You never heard me bashing him ever. I have only ever stated why I didn't like him. If disliking a guy who gave up on his team is bashing, then I guess you could be right.
    I hear ya. That's why I said you never gave him any credit you just chose to remain silent when he was doing well. Whatever, he's not here anymore. How do you think TJ will do? I personally think he will be getting more carries than Charles.

I hear ya. That's why I said you never gave him any credit you just chose to remain silent when he was doing well. Whatever, he's not here anymore. How do you think TJ will do? I personally think he will be getting more carries than Charles.
    I didn't "choose" to remain silent, I was not a member of ChiefsCrowd at the time.

I think Jones will be fine with slightly more carries that JC. I hope JC gets 15-20 a game and let Jones carry the rest of the load. Im mostly glad that we will have a running game to help Cassel out.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I see...get a great O line again and LJ will be good again. How about we keep the better RB (Charles) and just let him be better than LJ no matter what line is in front of him. The big difference being that JC is good and LJ is as good as his O line (Which is sh!t in Was) Makes sense, I think LJ is awesome now too!!

PS I love all you speculation on how he would have been or could have been. How many yards and TDs do you honestly think he will get wish the Skns this year?
    God forbid speculation....I mean it's only human nature right? As usual we will have to disagree because I simply don't think JC is the better RB. He could never carry the ball as many times as LJ or many other RB's in the league. Having said that, I am a fan of Charles as I am a Longhorn fan too. Watched him play his entire college career but at 200lbs, he simply won't hold up.

God forbid speculation....I mean it's only human nature right? As usual we will have to disagree because I simply don't think JC is the better RB. He could never carry the ball as many times as LJ or many other RB's in the league. Having said that, I am a fan of Charles as I am a Longhorn fan too. Watched him play his entire college career but at 200lbs, he simply won't hold up.
    I remember you saying that all season, and I'm surprised your opinion still hasn't changed after he had 25+ touches in each of the last 4 games of the season. Granted I don't want him to do that for a full 16 games, but I don't doubt that he can do it.. it would just shorten his career, which is not good.

You argue things that are never going to happen (if LJ stayed here he would have 1500yards and 15+tds) so that you can say you are right all day, but when I ask you to speculate on someting that will happen (LJs totals for next season) there is no answer. Obviously comparing LJ and Charles is apples and Oranges. LJ is a beast up the middle. Charles is fast and can get the outside way quicker than LJ, catches better than LJ but they are two different types of backs so i wouldn't bother comparing them that way. Charles however bring a much better attitude to the team and the running game improved drastically when Charles replaced LJ. Personally Im glad we kept Charles and dumped LJ and of course picked up Jones. Our running game (and team) is much better off now than we would be had we kept LJ.

I didn't "choose" to remain silent, I was not a member of ChiefsCrowd at the time.

I think Jones will be fine with slightly more carries that JC. I hope JC gets 15-20 a game and let Jones carry the rest of the load. Im mostly glad that we will have a running game to help Cassel out.
    I guess I meant i didn't hear much in 08 when he averaged about 4.5 per.

I guess I meant i didn't hear much in 08 when he averaged about 4.5 per.
    For a grand total of 874 yards that year.

Not to mention spitting in a girls face at a bar, that being the 4th time in 5 years he was accused of assaulting women.
    Last edited by Canada; 03-17-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I remember you saying that all season, and I'm surprised your opinion still hasn't changed after he had 25+ touches in each of the last 4 games of the season. Granted I don't want him to do that for a full 16 games, but I don't doubt that he can do it.. it would just shorten his career, which is not good.
    4 games is not a season. This is in fact why they went and got TJ. Charles is simply not built to be an every down back.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast