Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I used to like Vermeil

Default I used to like Vermeil

Until this... yuck:

"While popular opinion might suggest that Johnson was brought to town to back up Clinton Portis, one of Johnson's former coaches has a bold prediction. "He will take over the running back position," said Dick Vermeil, who coached Johnson in Kansas City from 2003 to '05. "That's what I think. He'll push that guy right out of a job." Reported by the Washington Post

The Redskins signed Johnson last week to a three-year contract. Portis, who missed the final eight games last season after suffering a season-ending concussion, returns for his ninth NFL season. He's been the Redskins' starter since joining the team in 2004. Though he's two years older than Portis, Johnson has 755 fewer carries. While the two might begin training camp sharing the workload, Vermeil expects Johnson to open eyes at practice. He says Johnson helped push Priest Holmes, the Chiefs' incumbent running back in Kansas City seven years ago, and Vermeil says he'll push Portis now -- until he surpasses him."
    -tg1979

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    So behind our line he would have 1000 more yards and 10 more tds? You're blind fellow Chiefs fan. Now your arguments that the left side of our line is the weakest, as you've posted in every other thread, are meaningless. I've never agreed, and your latest sentiments show us all how off base you are.
    Your out of your mind if you think the right side of the line was worse than the left! MANY on here have agreed that Waters and Albert had TERRIBLE years last year. Now there is talk of moving Albert to the right side of the line. Is that because he was so good on the left? Sack after sack from the left, penalties like crazy from the left etc.. You'll find out quickly that I do not wear the rosy glasses like most around hear. I say what I think, good or bad for our team. I as everyone want our team to win and that is all that matters but I will not sugar coat the BS that has taken place for the last several years. I did not jump on the wagon with most predicting 6,,7,8 wins the last few years. I was begging for 4 wins. Got em last year, didn't the year before. I've been watchin Chiefs games for 37 years and have been to more than a lot on this site. I am a fan through and through so to say I'm off base makes me laugh, from a newb none the less! Quit with the "thought so" remarks and such and we will get along fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how much someone disagree's with it. The sooner you figure that out the better off you will be here on the Crowd.

WOW! Didn't think I'd get this kind of reaction from this thread, lol. Sorry for opening that can of worms guys!

I'm a stat guy--name me one guy that has had 15 tds and 1500 yards over 30 yrs old. Unheard of? I thought so.
    Our boy TJ almost did it this year though
    1402 + 14 TDs!
    -tg1979

Quote Originally Posted by tg1979 View Post
    WOW! Didn't think I'd get this kind of reaction from this thread, lol. Sorry for opening that can of worms guys!

1402 + 14 TDs!
    LOL...damn, you beat me to it!!!

Also... Tiki Barber had 1860 yards as a 30 year old RB. He actually had his best seasons after 30.

People also laughed at Vermeil when he called Priest "A poor man's Marshall Faulk." I wouldn't be surprised if LJ does pass Portis. Portis, all be it more classy, has hit the wall arguably even harder than LJ and has been riddled by all sorts of injuries.
    So being classy means going behind the HCs back and straight to the owner over playing time and the plays being called or basically being called out by most of his teammates the past 2 seasons for his Allen Iverson-esqe approach to practice and game time performance or going on radio and throwing his QB under the bus...Yea, real classy dude.

Uh Oh Ryfo, there comin outta the woodwork!! LOL. Wonder what went wrong with Tiki? He was great then just outta know where was terrible! Don't think the age was the biggest factor just not sure what it was. Maybe the conflict with management had a bit to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Your out of your mind if you think the right side of the line was worse than the left! MANY on here have agreed that Waters and Albert had TERRIBLE years last year. Now there is talk of moving Albert to the right side of the line. Is that because he was so good on the left? Sack after sack from the left, penalties like crazy from the left etc.. You'll find out quickly that I do not wear the rosy glasses like most around hear. I say what I think, good or bad for our team. I as everyone want our team to win and that is all that matters but I will not sugar coat the BS that has taken place for the last several years. I did not jump on the wagon with most predicting 6,,7,8 wins the last few years. I was begging for 4 wins. Got em last year, didn't the year before. I've been watchin Chiefs games for 37 years and have been to more than a lot on this site. I am a fan through and through so to say I'm off base makes me laugh, from a newb none the less! Quit with the "thought so" remarks and such and we will get along fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how much someone disagree's with it. The sooner you figure that out the better off you will be here on the Crowd.
    Ok, I'm going to agree with you that the right side of the line is better. I was more trying to point out how ridiculous it was to say LJ would have 1500 yards and 15 TDs behind our line, but 1000 yards less and 10 less TDs behind the Redskins line. That, and a had a few too many for St. Patty's day. So sorry for the personal attack, completely wrong by me.

As for me being a newb, I joined in September, 2008 as you can see--one month after you. Was August the cutoff to not be a newb? Haha, I'm mostly kidding.

BTW, I got some family in Scottsdale, love that area.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Also... Tiki Barber had 1860 yards as a 30 year old RB. He actually had his best seasons after 30.
    Fair enough, still not 15 TDs.

1402 + 14 TDs!
    Almost there...

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    So being classy means going behind the HCs back and straight to the owner over playing time and the plays being called or basically being called out by most of his teammates the past 2 seasons for his Allen Iverson-esqe approach to practice and game time performance or going on radio and throwing his QB under the bus...Yea, real classy dude.
    You bolded what I said, yet still posted this...I said more classy. Not that difficult of a task when LJ is your competition.

Uh Oh Ryfo, there comin outta the woodwork!! LOL. Wonder what went wrong with Tiki? He was great then just outta know where was terrible! Don't think the age was the biggest factor just not sure what it was. Maybe the conflict with management had a bit to do with it.
    Tiki was smart to retire before he hit wall. Granted, he didn't get some cash, but he probably didn't want to completely wreck his body. He missed out on a SB ring by 1 year though!

I absolutely believe that if he were still here and they improve the line as they appear to be doing, he would have had another dominating year! 1500+ and 15+ TD's
    Still, no. He wouldn't touch 15 tds if it had 100 millin attached to it. His best years are past him. His last good year was 4 years ago. I haven't looked up the stats, and I'm a stat guy--name me one guy that has had 15 tds and 1500 yards over 30 yrs old. Unheard of? I thought so.

1402 + 14 TDs!
    I went back as far as 1965 where, even the great Jim Brown was age 29 when he last accomplished those stats in a single season.

Since then, (Brown only managed those stats twice in his career.) It has only happened 19 times by any age player, and not once by a player age 30 or more.

OJ Simpson 1975
    Earl Campbell 1979
    Eric Dickerson 1983
    Barry Sanders 1991
    Emmit Smith 1995 & 1992
    Terrell Davis 1998 & 1997
    Clinton Portis 2002
    Ricky Williams 2002
    Priest Holmes 2002
    Ahman Green 2003
    Shaun Alexander 2005 & 2004
    Larry Johnson 2006 & 2005
    Ladanian Tomlinson 2006
    Michael Turner 2008
    Deangelo Williams 2008

Some have come close at age 30+. And some have done at almost age 30. (Priest) But noone has done that yet.

DH is a pretty emotional guy when it comes to the topic of The Chiefs. And he has long been a backer of LJ, through thick and thin. (very thin at times.)

Pretty understandable though, as he actually got the opportunity to sit and chat with LJ a few years back and came away impressed with the manner in which LJ handled himself and the conversation with DH.

When you meet a player who has had the kind of success that LJ had in his early years, and earns your respect with a classy personality, you tend to always see the better side of a guy, even when things aren't going so well for him.

My guess is that DH likely exaggerated a bit with his estimate of 1500+ yards and 15+ TDs.

And, while that can not be ruled out as being impossible, I think we can all agree that it would be nothing short of astronomical, seeing as how it has not been done once over the past 45 years.

Great post, thanks for looking all that up (I would rep you 100 times if I could).

I don't hate anyone on here, but I don't mind engaging in a little candor with my fellow Chiefs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I went back as far as 1965 where, even the great Jim Brown was age 29 when he last accomplished those stats in a single season.

Since then, (Brown only managed those stats twice in his career.) It has only happened 19 times by any age player, and not once by a player age 30 or more.

OJ Simpson 1975
    Earl Campbell 1979
    Eric Dickerson 1983
    Barry Sanders 1991
    Emmit Smith 1995 & 1992
    Terrell Davis 1998 & 1997
    Clinton Portis 2002
    Ricky Williams 2002
    Priest Holmes 2002
    Ahman Green 2003
    Shaun Alexander 2005 & 2004
    Larry Johnson 2006 & 2005
    Ladanian Tomlinson 2006
    Michael Turner 2008
    Deangelo Williams 2008

Some have come close at age 30+. And some have done at almost age 30. (Priest) But noone has done that yet.

DH is a pretty emotional guy when it comes to the topic of The Chiefs. And he has long been a backer of LJ, through thick and thin. (very thin at times.)

Pretty understandable though, as he actually got the opportunity to sit and chat with LJ a few years back and came away impressed with the manner in which LJ handled himself and the conversation with DH.

When you meet a player who has had the kind of success that LJ had in his early years, and earns your respect with a classy personality, you tend to always see the better side of a guy, even when things aren't going so well for him.

My guess is that DH likely exaggerated a bit with his estimate of 1500+ yards and 15+ TDs.

And, while that can not be ruled out as being impossible, I think we can all agree that it would be nothing short of astronomical, seeing as how it has not been done once over the past 45 years.
    You sir, are correct on most accounts in this post! Kudos!!! There was a bit of exxageration there and it was more of just a statement to say if given the number of carries he liked, I believe he would be a top 10 RB. You are also correct on your assumption that I may see the better side because of my interaction with him. As for the Chiefs, I believe the team is better off without him and he is better off without the Chiefs. Addition by subtraction for both parties.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast