Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Rule Change in My Lifetime

Default Worst Rule Change in My Lifetime

IMO it makes no sense to change what works....Its called sudden death for a reason...If it wasn't it would just be called the 5th quarter....All of this for a senile old (insert expletive) who THREW AWAY his (maybe) last chance at reaching the Super Bowl

I love it... games should not be decided by a coinfilp, a few first downs and a FG. It is still sudden death in that scoring a touchdown is a win. I hope they change it for the regular season.

I hate this.

OT should be about winning as a team. Not putting the QBs on display.

And the team that wins the coin toss wins the game about 55% of the time, so its just about equal, there's no advantage to winning the toss in OT. People just think offense matters more than defense

EDIT:
    I just saw that the rule only applies to FGs, TDs are still sudden death.
    This I can live with.
    Last edited by slimdagreat; 03-23-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Ironically Minnesota voted against it....LOL

If it weren't for time restraints from TV it would probably be applied through out the regular season as well.

I like the change, and also hope it is adopted for the regular season. I have always thought that a field goal winning a game in overtime is wrong, now you must score a TD, or keep the other team, from tying from a FG to win.

Riddle me this then....What if its the Chiefs-Donks last game of the reg. season and KC needs the win for a 1st round bye...they lose in OT by a FG by the Donks on their 1st possession...Now opening round of the playoffs, you get the ball first in OT get the FG then the other team gets the ball, 1st play is a bomb that pass interference is called and ball placed on the 2 yard line....I know its a lot of what if's but this is football where anything can happen

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    Riddle me this then....What if its the Chiefs-Donks last game of the reg. season and KC needs the win for a 1st round bye...they lose in OT by a FG by the Donks on their 1st possession...Now opening round of the playoffs, you get the ball first in OT get the FG then the other team gets the ball, 1st play is a bomb that pass interference is called and ball placed on the 2 yard line....I know its a lot of what if's but this is football where anything can happen
    Should have gone for a Touchdown, instead of a FG. How many time do teams take the FG instead of trying get the touchdown? I do not know, but it will I think change things up. Instead of taking that FG, you know you need a touchdown to win. So why kick the field goal? If you turn over on downs, you have hopefully pinned the other team down, and your defense has to step up and stop them from scoring.
    if I know, but what I do know is I have done plenty of when the Chiefs have lost in overtime, by a FG!

I like the fact that it eliminates the BS of getting to the 40 yard line, and then run, run, run, try FG. Teams will be more likely to keep their entire playbook in effect rather than going to a clock-killing (boring) type offense.

It makes little difference to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast