Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eric Berry

Default Eric Berry

I just wanted to ask how it is that alot of people would love to have EB but some of the same people want to trade out of our pick.

One other thing is that so many people are caught on the money he will make if we pick him at #5, but we are going to have to pay that same money to someone why can't it be one of our biggest needed areas of the D.

If another D line guy is picked what % of the team salary will be used ON 3 GUYS?

I say Berry at #5, pay the man and watch the fireworks he can produce.

berry is a hard worker...the type pioli and haley like...he studies game film from sanders, polamalu, reed and more...he has all the skills for him to succeed in the nfl...and could make an immediate impact...

IMO he has the lowest risk/highest reward

Berry is a plug and play guy right now, most any NT or line man takes 2-3 years to develope, id rather pay the guy the money that will play now. besides we dont need another high payed jackson type pick that was a joke! Pass on Curry??? stupid move.

Additionally, we've got a large fella in Shaun Smith that could potentially draw enough attention to help Jackson and Dorsey get into the backfield. I'm not saying I'm sold on him, I'm just saying we have a potential solution for the NT problem.

I see no reason at all not to draft Eric Berry. Ed Reed and Polomalu both demonstrate beautifully how a smart safety can really tie a defense together, and our safeties bungling up coverage on deep pass plays really hurt us last season.

Berry or Bust.

To answer your question. Most everyone would love to trade down this year. Especially with the draft being so deep. But chances of that happening are slim because other teams know the same thing and can get good players for less money. So if we cant trade down, yes I am all for Berry. As I pointed out last week. The success rate for safeties picked in the top 10 is much better than Quarterbacks picked in the top 10. The league is becoming more and more a passing league. That makes the safety possition that much more important.

i think we could trade down a few spots and still get berry

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    i think we could trade down a few spots and still get berry
    I woudn't want to risk it. I really want him drafted by the chiefs!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fansincebirth View Post
    To answer your question. Most everyone would love to trade down this year. Especially with the draft being so deep. But chances of that happening are slim because other teams know the same thing and can get good players for less money. So if we cant trade down, yes I am all for Berry. As I pointed out last week. The success rate for safeties picked in the top 10 is much better than Quarterbacks picked in the top 10. The league is becoming more and more a passing league. That makes the safety possition that much more important.
    Mark Sanchez QB, Mathew Stafford QB
    Matt Ryan QB
    JaMarcus Russell QB
    Michael Huff S, Donte Whitner S, Matt Lienart QB
    Antrell Rolle S (Pro Bowl X1, Super Bowl Champion X1), Alex Smith QB
    Eli Manning QB (Pro Bowl X1, Super Bowl champion X1, Super Bowl MVP X1), Phillip Rivers QB (Pro Bowl X2), Sean Taylor S (Pro Bowl X2)
    Carson Palmer QB (Pro Bowl X2)
    David Carr QB, Joey Harrington QB, Roy Williams S (Pro Bowl x5)
    Michael Vick QB (Pro Bowl X3)
    Nobody.

Well, here they are. Doesn't seem real convincing either way, to me.

4/9 QBs have been to a Pro Bowl. And 3/5 Ss have been.

That leans toward your argument. But no player on that list really screams out at me as dominant.

But, don't go back any further, or you will wind up finding some players that make a pretty strong case for QBs. Payton Manning, Donovan Mcnabb...

The trump card against ya may be that Safeties aren't drafted, but converted from CB.

Rather thay be failed CBs, or aged CBs, a pretty decent number of NFL Safeties were not Safeties in college, and entering The NFL draft.

I'd catergorize that position similar to Offensive Guard, or Right Offensive Tackle. Players who aren't good enough to play the tougher position (LOT/CB) can always get a shot at the "leftover" position. (OG, ROT/S)

It is that "leftover" feel of the Safety positions that likely leads teams to not draft early at that position. Hence, only five players being drafted in the top ten over those ten drafts.

If Pioli continues with his "positional value" philosophy, then Eric Berry will only play at Arrowhead as a visitor.

I still believe teams are bulit in the trenches. Our offensive line still needs help. If we draft Berry fine, but I sure hope there isn't an Okung on the board if we take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I still believe teams are bulit in the trenches. Our offensive line still needs help. If we draft Berry fine, but I sure hope there isn't an Okung on the board if we take him.
    IMO we will draft to fill the weakest link on the OL, probably in the third round. Could be Callaway, from Iowa or the LT from Indiana. Both would be good RT.

What is the weakest Link? Based on last years performance. It is the entire line. Casey Wiegmann and Ryan Lilja improve two spots, but only only to an average status.

Albert was beat often and was the most penalized Tackle in the league last year. He is holding because he had too. Waters was also the most penalized Guard last year He has declined steadily since Roaf retired and could literally retire phycially this year. He mentally may still be there, but his body just won't let him.

Casey Wiegman is old and under sized and could be physically retired.

I am not sure drafting one player in the 3rd round will fix our problems. The whole line needs help, and if you don't believe that, you need to take of the rose colored classes and look at them realistically and don't make excuses or assumptions.

Safety is a need. That is for sure. But like I said a teams foundation is the trenches and should be priority 1.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast