Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eric Berry

Default Eric Berry

I just wanted to ask how it is that alot of people would love to have EB but some of the same people want to trade out of our pick.

One other thing is that so many people are caught on the money he will make if we pick him at #5, but we are going to have to pay that same money to someone why can't it be one of our biggest needed areas of the D.

If another D line guy is picked what % of the team salary will be used ON 3 GUYS?

I say Berry at #5, pay the man and watch the fireworks he can produce.

You guys are going to be interested in this Peter King article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...eetings/1.html

Dimitroff worked with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli in New England, and they are still close. "I was talking to Scott Pioli about Berry, and I said, 'Scott, this guy's your pick,'" said Dimitroff. "He said, 'You know how I feel about safeties that early.'."

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post

I about posted something similar to this but in reality, you could probably look at a majority of positions and almost say the same thing.

If you are drafting in fear of a player getting hurt, it could just as easily be a LT, NT or linebacker who gets hurt the first day of practice.

You can't live in fear, but I do tend to believe the good safeties get hurt more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post

I've already debunked this article.

"The three best safeties to be drafted in the past decade -- Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu and Bob Sanders -- have missed 78 games due to injury in their 21 combined NFL seasons."

What King doesn't mention is that more than half of those missed games are from Bob Sanders.

Of the five top-10 safeties this decade, none has had franchise-player impact: Roy Williams (Dallas, eighth overall, 2002), Sean Taylor (Washington, fifth overall, 2004), Michael Huff (Oakland, seventh, 2006), Donte Whitner, LaRon Landry (Buffalo, eighth, 2006), (Washington, sixth, 2007).

What King leaves out is that only Landry was regarded as a top 10 pick before the draft. The rest of those guys were reaches, and then there's Taylor who was an elite safety until his untimely death.

Uh...sorry to burst your bubble, but Michael Huff was a top 10 projection well before the draft. You're wrong.

Also, what YOU leave out is that Eric Berry would be making 11 million a year as a rookie. Only two safeties made that much last year - Troy Polamalu, who was injured for most of the year, and...your favorite player...michael huff.

If you overpay a position, you will not be able to afford adequate talent at another position. this is called "budgeting." If I only have $20 for dinner, I am not getting a $14 appetizer. I won't be able to afford an entree. This is what people don't understand.

We can draft Berry, sure. But then don't complain when we don't spend a dime in free agency on any of the other positions we need to upgrade.

If we took a left tackle at #5, we would be paying him big money, sure, but very good left tackles can make 10 mil a year easy.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Uh...sorry to burst your bubble, but Michael Huff was a top 10 projection well before the draft. You're wrong.

Also, what YOU leave out is that Eric Berry would be making 11 million a year as a rookie. Only two safeties made that much last year - Troy Polamalu, who was injured for most of the year, and...your favorite player...michael huff.

If you overpay a position, you will not be able to afford adequate talent at another position. this is called "budgeting." If I only have $20 for dinner, I am not getting a $14 appetizer. I won't be able to afford an entree. This is what people don't understand.

We can draft Berry, sure. But then don't complain when we don't spend a dime in free agency on any of the other positions we need to upgrade.

If we took a left tackle at #5, we would be paying him big money, sure, but very good left tackles can make 10 mil a year easy.
    Think about it this way. No matter what, if we can't trade down, we're going to be paying someone $11M/year. We're going to be building this team through the draft and cheap FAs. We're almost certainly not going to pay big money for FAs, no matter the position.

So, in essence, what does it matter in terms of budgeting? We're going to be paying our rookies a set amount. It might matter when it comes time to resign people in five years, but the players' markets will have corrected themselves by them.

Or to put it another way, there's no economic difference between paying a 1st round SS $11M/year and a 2nd round LT $2M/year than paying a 1st round LT $11M/year and a 2nd round SS $2M/year.

Now, is LT/NT more valuable position than SS? Definitely. Would I rather us go Okung or Williams at 5? Yes, because I think our need at those two positions is greater.

But its not because of how much the rookies are being paid. Because that's all a wash in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Per Scouts Inc.
    " As such, Huff grades out as the best overall defensive back prospects in the 2006 class and warrants consideration in the top-15 picks overall."

Mel Kiper also had him 15th on his big board.

Are you guys kidding me????
    Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are going to be the two safeties of this Decade. THey are both Interception machines and are PLAYMAKERS.PLAYMAKERS.PLAYMAKERS.
    A NOSE TACKLE IS NOT A PLAYMAKER.
    AND ON MOST PLAYS ARE USELESS.
    I know im going to get a lot of heat for this but i hnestly think that nose tackle is not the most important position. I would much rather have shaun smith starting at Nose Tackle and then having Earl Thomas or Eric Berry playing in the back field.

Quote Originally Posted by moshak View Post
    Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are going to be the two safeties of this Decade. THey are both Interception machines and are PLAYMAKERS.PLAYMAKERS.PLAYMAKERS.
    I know im going to get a lot of heat for this but i hnestly think that nose tackle is not the most important position. I would much rather have shaun smith starting at Nose Tackle and then having Earl Thomas or Eric Berry playing in the back field.
    You are crazy. The NT is one of the most critical positions in a 3-4 defense. He has to be able to take on 2 and even up to 3 blockers play in and play out. If he's not doing his job, linebackers are getting blocked on run plays, and then yes, it would be nice to have someone like Berry there to make the tackle 8 yards down field.

Listen, I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs took Berry, but I want them to also get the best NT in the draft because it's the harder position to fill. Some say Antrel Rolle is overpaid now that he's the highest paid safety. I can't justify making a rookie who has yet to prove his abilities in the NFL even higher paid, and I don't think Pioli can either.

If the NT is useless on most plays, why don't we just play 3 safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by moshak View Post
    Playmakers are over rated. Playmakers just lost to Northern Iowa. What the Chiefs needs is player who makes everyone behind them better.

A intercepting machine can not intercept a ball if the opposing team runs all day long and successfully. As good as your corners are, they were left on islands with no pass rush. Eric Berry will also struggle if NFL offensives have time to pick him apart.

Also an offense can not score if the running back can not find holes and the QB is throwing from his back.

The Chiefs offense was the most potent in the history of this franchise with a solid offensive line. Our offensive line is below average on almost all poistions.

I will continue to say this. Games and teams are won in the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You are crazy. The NT is one of the most critical positions in a 3-4 defense. He has to be able to take on 2 and even up to 3 blockers play in and play out. If he's not doing his job, linebackers are getting blocked on run plays, and then yes, it would be nice to have someone like Berry there to make the tackle 8 yards down field.

Listen, I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs took Berry, but I want them to also get the best NT in the draft because it's the harder position to fill. Some say Antrel Rolle is overpaid now that he's the highest paid safety. I can't justify making a rookie who has yet to prove his abilities in the NFL even higher paid, and I don't think Pioli can either.

If the NT is useless on most plays, why don't we just play 3 safeties?
    Well said!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast